Need Ideas For Oatmeal

Options
13»

Replies

• mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    My tip for speed:
    Boil water in kettle. Add water to oats in a bowl. Microwave for 1 minute. Done!
    Either eat just like that or add soya milk. Add dried fruit if you want.

My tip for low cost:
    Buy the cheapest oats you can find. It's all much the same. The only real choice is between rolled oats and granular oats (I like both).

I'll try the suggestions for making it overnight.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I WANT to like oatmeal. For me it's too mushy. Should I keep trying and add nuts or something else? Ideas are appreciated :)

buy steel cut oats and cook it for less time. Oatmeal does not HAVE to be mushy
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    If it's too mushy, try powdered oatmeal (sometimes called pin-head oatmeal). It's like grains. I think that's what people mean by "steel cut".

Cooking it with milk makes it more like glue. Try cooking it with water. Just add milk on top when it's done.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin, cinnamon and a little bit of low fat cream cheese. Mmmm
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I WANT to like oatmeal. For me it's too mushy. Should I keep trying and add nuts or something else? Ideas are appreciated :)

buy steel cut oats and cook it for less time. Oatmeal does not HAVE to be mushy

Or big, proper rolled oats - I can't stand mushy, gluey porridge, and these make a much nicer texture and taste faintly nutty.
  • Jensenstarr
    Options
    Best oatmeal ever.

It is one serving but the bowl is HUGE! So you do 1/2 a cup of oatmeal... And TWO cups of liquid. I do one cup of ff milk and one cup or water... Then you put it on the stove and the oatmeal soaks up all of the liquid and gets massive... Then I put vanilla and cinnamon and a splenda packet ... Then pour it over a chopped apple. Literally the best, and if you're like me and hate small portions ... This is perfect because it's a huge bowl of oatmeal. Try it:)
  • Jensenstarr
    Options
    I enjoy pumpkin puree, maple syrup and pumpkin pie spice mixed in. OR banana and walnuts. YUMMY!

Pumpkin is wonderful! You just have to make sure its the pure pumpkin... Not pumpkin pie mix :)
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    raisins & cinnamon

I also cheat a little by adding some Maple Syrup. (The real stuff! I live in Quebec so it is easy to get)

I also make my own granola and add some from time to time.
  • gumigal82
    Options
    Try dark chocolate chips, and some fruit (cherries or strawberries).
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Well I'm in Iraq so I can't really use steel cut oats...But I have a HUGE appetite and I find if I take a packet of regular oatmeal, pour boiling water over it and then mix in 1/2 a pouch of MET-RX double chocolate protein powder...It makes it SO rich, thick and delicious and has very little sugar. I've done it with a few different proteins and different flavors including vanilla and berry but the chocolate is the best for getting that quick sweet fix! Plus, like I said...it takes a LOT to fill me up and this has a lot less calories and is very filling.
  • Laverne51
    Laverne51 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    These are just some of the different things I've added: cinnamon, raisins, blue berries, little brown sugar, unsweet applesauce and various mixed fruit. All taste pretty good.
  • crudd12
    Options
    I put frozen blueberries in mine, stevia and cinnamon! It's delicious!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I don't cook my oatmeal. I use thick rolled oats then add part of an apple, one date, and either hemp seeds, ground flax, or walnuts. Then I add in boiling water, not too much, and cover the bowl with a plate and let it sit for maybe five minutes. Then I add some sprinkled cinnamon. I eat this nearly every day. Quick and simple.
  • lisagodenick
    Options
    Try putting in some nuts. Raw walnuts or pecans. Also, instead of just honey, agave nectar is a great natural sweetener. Dried fruit--like craisins--is great too. You could throw in some flaxseeds too--if you want to get super healthy.
  • Carrie1963
    Options
    My fitness instructor suggested chocolate protein powder mixed in and a small amount of skim milk. I tried it with vanilla protein powder it was okay. It kept me feeling full until my lunch break with out a need for a mid morning snack.
  • mdillingham6
    Options
    add plain apple sauce rather than sugar, it makes it sweet... I sometimes add raspberries too and it turns it pink but its sweet and tart at the same time. If you like milk, add that too just like you normally would.
  • joliejolie123456
    Options
    I add a whole chopped banana before i cook it it and kind of mush it all together afterwards. Tates really good and you dont even have to use milk bacuase the banans makes it really creamy. I add cinnamon and a teaspoon of PB to that but if you don't like it then try honey or jam or applesauce?