How is this fair?

Options
My city has a special deal for a select population signing up for the next half-marathon. The 21 first MOMMIES to sign up get free personal training leading up to the half at a really nice gym, they get free entrance fees, and a free breakfast and a free "special" T-shirt.
There are no other "special" deals or fun things for any other demographic.
I'm seriously considering applying and just pretending to have a kid. Gah!

Replies

• hajjcomb
    hajjcomb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    As someone who has chosen NOT to have children, you're preaching to the choir here.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Why does it have to be fair?
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Can you borrow a kid from a neighbor. I'd definitely sign up if I were you!
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    It's probably just motivation to get people to join who normally wouldn't. When I was younger Raley's food store had special parking next to the handicap spaces but it was specifically marked for people with children. Of course I'm thinking that's not fair, they choose to have babies and they get special treatment? It's not like we're trying to repopulate the earth! But now, of course that I am a mommy I wish more stores had them.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    You should mention that to the organizers/supporters. Obviously they can focus on one demographic if they like, it's their money. But I would still say something about it. If you said something about it, maybe next time they might consider other groups - how about the first 21 single women/men, or the first 21 married couples? Seems kind of arbitrary. But I also wouldn't let it deter me from signing up.
  • rochey1098
    Options
    In the UK breeding gets your house paid for too lol... life isn't fair unfortunately
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Yep. It's their business -- they can choose how they promote it. They aren't denying any services to the general population, are they? Should clubs do away with Ladies Nights too?
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Life is not fair, nor should it have to be
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Yep. It's their business -- they can choose how they promote it. They aren't denying any services to the general population, are they? Should clubs do away with Ladies Nights too?

I agree with this. What about student discounts? Senior citizen discounts?
  • Its_ali_bella
    Its_ali_bella Posts: 27 Member
    Options

YUP YUP YUP. Every body has their turn, let the hard working mommies have something for a change.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    You will have to talk about kids 24/7 and annoy people with the "when my child did this.." and "Oh, when my kid was that age..." If you don't do this, they will know you aren't a mommie! haha.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    It's probably just motivation to get people to join who normally wouldn't. When I was younger Raley's food store had special parking next to the handicap spaces but it was specifically marked for people with children. Of course I'm thinking that's not fair, they choose to have babies and they get special treatment? It's not like we're trying to repopulate the earth! But now, of course that I am a mommy I wish more stores had them.

Its probably to encourage mums to get out and about and in to the gym/training...if they do, then their pals probably will and the gym will see more customers... that or the local council wants people to get fitter and stop diseases and obesity earlier before its too late.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Don't confuse fair and equal. They're not synonyms. I'm a mom who balanced motherhood and work for years. I'm now living in an empty nest. For me, it's easier to what's best for me - my health in particular - now that my children have moved out of the house. I'm not saying I have a better lifestyle. I'm just saying it's easier to find time to workout.

As politically incorrect as some perceive, I'm all for giving an extra boost of support to moms.

It's not fair. And, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but who ever told you life is fair straight out lied to you. It's not. Move on.
  • lexgem
    lexgem Posts: 163
    Options
    I guess it's a sore spot for me. Not everyone wants kids and that's fine -- but not everyone who wants them can have them either.

I'd be more fine with it if there were special things for other demographics too, even something small. Perhaps a raffle to win the same advantages for a lucky 10 first-timers regardless of age, gender or fertility/lifestyle choices. Maybe something special for people over a certain age, say 50 (I'm 24 so this isn't a selfish wish), and maybe the possibility to sign up in teams other than through a company (I freelance but I'd love to sign up in a team of friends - or maybe even a freelancers group/team!).

I guess I'm just jealous of all the fun stuff other cities have for more types of people.
  • rochey1098
    Options
    I guess it's a sore spot for me. Not everyone wants kids and that's fine -- but not everyone who wants them can have them either.

This is a fair point. Perhaps we could start a movement? If women got the right to vote in such a sexist world then surely singles and people without children can unite as one lol... seriously though maybe we should just forget it and have a nice cup of tea.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Just like life is not fair. If it were I'd be 6'6'' and everyone would be watching me on TV every Sunday. If life were fair I would have been a Millionaire by now. If life were fair I would have hit the lottery two years ago. If life were fair we would have no need for police departments or military.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    What's preventing you from being part of an advisory board? From my experience, communities are always looking for volunteers. You insight and willingness to donate your time and talent could lead your community to a larger scope of inclusion for events such as the one you're wanting.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    It's not fair. And, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but who ever told you life is fair straight out lied to you. It's not. Move on.

Thank you! I've taught my kids - life isn't fair, get over it. Frankly, if we all spent less time worrying about what someone else got, or what someone else has, or trying to keep things equal, then the world would operate at a far better place for all of us.

"I guess it's a sore spot for me" too...

I practice a lot of pay it forward, what goes around comes around, you will get your benefits from somewhere, doesn't mean it has to be in a race or gym membership, but from something else that's gratifying to you in a different area. Just be happy you have the health to run - and the time to train and the finances to afford something someone else can not or does not have the means for. Envy is never becoming to anyone.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

I'd be more fine with it if there were special things for other demographics too, even something small. Perhaps a raffle to win the same advantages for a lucky 10 first-timers regardless of age, gender or fertility/lifestyle choices. Maybe something special for people over a certain age, say 50 (I'm 24 so this isn't a selfish wish), and maybe the possibility to sign up in teams other than through a company (I freelance but I'd love to sign up in a team of friends - or maybe even a freelancers group/team!).

I guess I'm just jealous of all the fun stuff other cities have for more types of people.

As a non mom you have more time to do the things YOU want to do and don't have to put your children first before yourself...its probably to encourage them to take care of themselves a bit.

It can be hard for them...
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be snarky...well, yes, I do, but in the fun loving way....this is just a fitting moment for one of my favorite things to say to my students when they say "It isn't fair!"

Life isn't fair. Cry me a river, then build a bridge and get over it.

It is a marketing ploy...and stinks that it doesn't help you out...but as previous posters have said -- think about senior discounts, student discounts, military discounts...

Be thankful that you can afford to sign up!