How many calories do you burn at the gym?

Options
Just wondering how many calories most people burn at the gym. (:
I do 350 every time- although I may up it in a few weeks if I feel like I can do more, if not I might just stick to the same amount but keep trying to get faster.

Also I always do my workouts in terms of calories- I do 150 on the stepper, 80 on the rowing machine and 110 on the treadmill. I was just wondering, does anyone do it differently and work out for specific periods of time or go specific distances on the machines before changing instead of burning a certain amount of calories?

Edit: Also how many days a week do you go? (:

Replies

• Hikaru37
    Hikaru37 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I do it exactly the same way haha
  • scklein
    Options
    Me too! I workout the same way....I go 4-5 times per week, although now that I've started to lose weight, I may start alternating my cardio with some strength training to tone up.....
  • PetitePerfection
    PetitePerfection Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I don't have a very solid schedule for working out (but I do workout a lot)! I usually end up going by time though, because the calorie counts on the machines are usually pretty far off from the ones I get on my heart rate monitor. That's the other thing, if you go by calories, I'd highly recommend getting a good heart rate monitor to get an accurate calorie burn. BUt to answer your question, I burn anywhere between 200-800, depending on what I do. Today I had a spin class for 60min and burned almost 500 calories, and I would normally do ripped in 30 with it and burn about 200-250 more. But not today, my muscles are quite tired:happy: On non-cardio days, I usually do Ripped in 30 and some additional strength stuff but only burn around 300 for that day
    I usually workout 5 days a week, sometimes more sometimes less.
  • Misdy
    Misdy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I give myself a 250 minimum to get myself motivated - once I've hit that mark I feel like I can go harder and usually do. Most of the time I do somewhere between 500-700, and mostly on the treadmill. :wink:

Oh, and I try to go atleast 4 days a week.
  • youcandoitjess
    Options
    I try to burn about 1,000 in 90 minutes, but now that I'm training for a 5k, running doesn't allow me to burn as many calories.

A typical day would be about a 200 calorie burn during my jog, then adding another 600 walking uphill and if I'm feeling really daring, I'll ride the bike for a bit to burn additional calories.

I usually go 5-6 days a week so that I don't allow myself to lose my motivation. When I don't go, I tend to eat really poorly.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Push myself as hard as possible every day.
    (1350 so far today)
    The only time I try and hit specific calories is my warm up. I usually use 250cals as a good indicator that my warm up is complete.
  • shack1157
    shack1157 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 to 7 days a week. I do about 850 calories in an hour or a little over. I do it on a Treadmill. Except in the summer I do alot of things outside. Waking, Biking, etc...
  • gabby421
    gabby421 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i do 30 minutes on the treadmill 2 and a half miles then i do 25 minutes on the eliptical.i wear a heart monitor to keep track of my calories.i never believe the machine calorie count at the gym.they seem to say more calories then my heart monitor,invest in a heart monitor
  • nasprewell
    nasprewell Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I burn about 600 per gym visit most of the calories burned come from the treadmill.
  • vannessasheane
    vannessasheane Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Today I burnt 1300 +, I do 60 minutes of either elliptical, bike or running, sometimes just split it up and do all of them, I also weight train for up to 120 minutes :)
  • scklein
    Options
    I don't have a very solid schedule for working out (but I do workout a lot)! I usually end up going by time though, because the calorie counts on the machines are usually pretty far off from the ones I get on my heart rate monitor. That's the other thing, if you go by calories, I'd highly recommend getting a good heart rate monitor to get an accurate calorie burn. BUt to answer your question, I burn anywhere between 200-800, depending on what I do. Today I had a spin class for 60min and burned almost 500 calories, and I would normally do ripped in 30 with it and burn about 200-250 more. But not today, my muscles are quite tired:happy: On non-cardio days, I usually do Ripped in 30 and some additional strength stuff but only burn around 300 for that day
    I usually workout 5 days a week, sometimes more sometimes less.

Thanks for the advice about the heart monitor! I am new at this, and I had no idea the machines at the gym are usually way off!
  • vannessasheane
    vannessasheane Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Today I burnt 1300 +, I do 60 minutes of either elliptical, bike or running, sometimes just split it up and do all of them, I also weight train for up to 120 minutes :)
    Oh and I am usually in the gym 5 days a week, sometimes six depending on how its going and how much I hurt lol. But I train different muscle groups everyday, so it gives my body time to recoup. Cardio is done everyday
  • talithag
    Options
    I go 5-6 days week, and burn between 400 and 600 calories. I do different things: Zumba, treadmill, yoga, swimming, elliptical, step class, and some weights with lap running in between. I also try to make sure that I go for an hour, whatever I am doing.
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Right now I usually go to the gym 5 days a week - 2 days just cardio usually burning off about 850 calories (according to the machines), and the other 3 days I do cardio for warm up and cool down plus about 30-45 minutes of weight machines. Occassionally I will do a class or go for a swim depending on my schedule.
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    depends on the day, i try to do 1 700+ calorie burn a week, 2 500 calorie burns, and 1 350 calorie burn.

i aim for 4-5 days a week.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I would usually burn 10-15 calories per minute doing circuit training, or while using the arc trainer or treadmill. My workouts were usually 60 minutes long and I totaled 600-750 calories per workout, on average.
  • wordsofafeather
    Options
    I have my own gym at home. Aka: I bought a compact Elliptical, a jump rope, & a hula hoop. I've had an unused Yoga mat & ball for over a year now & am just starting to use the mat lmao. Not gonna lie, I usually only use the Elliptical & mat.

I do lots of cardio!! & try to burn as much as I can depending on what type of day it's gonna be.

Light days:
    ~ 30-60 mins: Elliptical: 400 - 800 cal.
    ~ 30 mins: Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred

Heavy days:
    ~ 1-2 hrs: Elliptical: 800-1600 cal.
    ~ 30 mins: Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred OR Insanity Pure Cardio

I'm not sure how many calories I burn with the Cardio DVDs but I'm hoping from 200-500 :)
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, any less than 600 and I feel like I've not worked out. Normally I burn 1100 EVERY day on Phys. Wether thats out on a day of fell walking, running, cycling, circuit training or elliptical...
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I tend to vary my workouts a lot and sometime base my work outs on what I plan to eat for dinner.

My new work out I have been doing is 12 minutes on the treadmill doing high intensity interval training (5mph-8mph)

3 sets of 10 reps for three different dumbbell exercises.

Back on the treadmill for 10 more minutes of interval training walking high inclines (not holding onto the machine) and a 5 minute cool down.

According to my HRM, that burned about 500 calories, but because HRM is not accurate for strength training, I subtract about 150 calories to record a total of 350.

I usually aim for 300-500 NET calories burned.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Personally I go 5 days per week, two cardio and three dedicated weights sessions with light cardio warmup (100-200 cals). On my cardio days I extimate 700-800 cals in an hour.
    Also I always do my workouts in terms of calories- I do 150 on the stepper, 80 on the rowing machine and 110 on the treadmill. I was just wondering, does anyone do it differently and work out for specific periods of time or go specific distances on the machines before changing instead of burning a certain amount of calories?

If you are open to any advice though, it would be to mix things up. You look like you have a pretty rigid program there, it would be really beneficial to change up your exercises and spice things up a little... your body will get used to your routines and they will become less effective over time. :)

For a start, try some different machines and combine some long endurance sessions with some interval sprints. I have seen some people that thought they were really fit and could last forever in a treadmil, but put them on the grinder orgive them some boxing drills and they are in a heap after 5 minutes :P