2»

Replies

• kmshred
    kmshred Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    man, this made me tear up. sigh.
  • Little_Ms_
    Options
    Not everyone thinks that beauty is external.
    So find people who see you and the wonderful qualities that you have.
    The external changes and ages, but the beauty within develops and grows even more.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I don't think society, being the people, does.

I think media outlets, advertisers, the fashion industry and businesses do because ultimately they want to sell products and maximise profits. One of the easiest ways of doing this is exploiting insecurity and fear and then offering a solution: buy what I have to offer and you will be accepted and valued. It's utter nonsense of course.

If you can tune out this background "noise", put down the glossy magazines and tear your eyes from the bright, flashy images and really engage and listen to other people you will find that most people find beauty in many different forms and there is no fixed standard.

Don't believe the hype.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    This is what I love about dogs.

A Pekingese doesn't care that it's not a Greyhound, and a Greyhound doesn't care that it's not a Poodle, and a Poodle doesn't care that it's not a Dachshund, and a Dachshund doesn't care that it's not a Labrador, and a Lab doesn't care that it's not a mutt, and a mutt is perfectly happy looking however it looks, because, like all other dogs, it looks exactly like it's supposed to look.

It's also what I love about JR Martinez. Burned over 40% of his body, disfigured and missing an ear... and when he smiles, my GOD, is he gorgeous! :heart:
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I don't think society, being the people, does.

I think media outlets, advertisers, the fashion industry and businesses do because ultimately they want to sell products and maximise profits. One of the easiest ways of doing this is exploiting insecurity and fear and then offering a solution: buy what I have to offer and you will be accepted and valued. It's utter nonsense of course.

If you can tune out this background "noise", put down the glossy magazines and tear your eyes from the bright, flashy images and really engage and listen to other people you will find that most people find beauty in many different forms and there is no fixed standard.

Don't believe the hype.

^^ This!
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Having a BMI of 23.5 excludes you from being beautiful? You can't be beautiful just being you?

I'm sorry and I don't want to be unkind but it seems like you place a lot of emphasis on what others think. I think truly beautiful people are confident and comfortable with themselves. It doesn't matter wether they are male or female, old or young, fat or thin.

I ran into an old friend this past weekend who's 40, weighs about 100 lbs more than she should, and lost her husband a couple of years ago and she's absolutely beautiful. She's made peace with her life, truly believes that her husband is in heaven and has a fantastic smile. She was talking about him and her face absolutely lit up. She is beautiful. One of my best friends is a slightly paunchy middle-aged guy who when he laughs the whole room stops and takes notice. There's such joy and zest for life in his laugh you can't help but be drawn to it. He's beautiful.

The list goes on and on. Yes, I know people who fall into what you're calling beauty and some of them have that inner quality that truly defines beauty (in my opinion) and some of them don't. A person who falls into your definition of beauty can be truly ugly and many people who don't can be stunning. Believing what the media, fashion industry, or whatever tells you is beautiful is a choice you can make but I know what I find beautiful. What about you? Take a long, hard look inside. What do you truly find beautiful?
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I think the OP was getting at the fact that for a lot of people there is this constant battle to live up to this "ideal" of beauty when actually beauty comes in infinite forms. Including my freckles!! :P

I am working on a program that will be going into intermediate and high schools which is about beauty in perspective. We will work with the kids through a range of topics like what we perceive to be beautiful, how we learn this, what messages the media gives us, how to be discerning about what we take on board, what the relationship between beauty, health and happiness is, beauty relative to other virtues etc. All the research and input we have had about these topics is truly fascinating, sometimes heart breaking and sometimes heart warming.
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with being ugly?
  • Goofy076
    Goofy076 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    sadly this is so true :(
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the patriarchy.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options

She may be very pretty in the face, but she is not attractive to me. She is way too skinny and has absolutely no muscle in her legs. I'm sure that is attractive to some people, but not to me. She looks almost sickly thin. I pray that my daughter never thinks this is the only way to be beautiful!
  • lucylue21
    Options

She may be very pretty in the face, but she is not attractive to me. She is way too skinny and has absolutely no muscle in her legs. I'm sure that is attractive to some people, but not to me. She looks almost sickly thin. I pray that my daughter never thinks this is the only way to be beautiful!

someone asked why she wasnt beautiful and i did say she is beautiful but that isnt the only shape there is to be beautiful
  • RoadkingDavid
    RoadkingDavid Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Beauty is in the mind's eye. But health, that is measurable. 109 lbs ago, I spent a lot of time at the doctor's office, and felt bad too much of the time. Now, I don't think my wife loves me any more or less, but she is happy that I care enough to want to be healthy for her and the kids and for me.
  • chatdude
    Options
    Lol, not sure how a size 6 is plus sized. Beauty is in the minds eye, but size 6 is skinny unless its on a really petite small girl
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    she is beautiful but you dont have to be her size to be beautiful.

You don't have to be ANY certain size to be beautiful. Beauty is about so much more then weight or body fat.