What do you tell yourself to finish your workout?

Options
I see the end coming and my body just stops or I convince myself I can make it up later or have done enough.
What do you tell yourself to complete your work out? Any other stratergies?

Replies

• cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    "I can do ANYTHING for ____ minutes" filling in the blank with the number of minutes. Works every time because it's true!
  • Adina81
    Adina81 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    For me i put on a 'power' song.... you know the song that for you no matter what gets you moving.
    I put it on and challenge myself to keep moving till the track is done.
    Sometimes that pushes me to go longer too!
  • lawmama_
    lawmama_ Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    YOU WANT TO LOOK GOOD IN YOUR WEDDING DRESS! YOU WANT TO LOOK GOOD ON YOUR HONEYMOON!!!!! YOU WANT YOUR ARMS TO LOOK LIKE ARMS AND NOT THIGHS!!!

haha, these are the things i tell myself when i'm on the verge of tears at the gym doing my circuit workout.
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    "Just 5 more minutes....". Usually once I do 5 more minutes, I can do 5 more and 5 more till I'm done.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Don't be an *kitten*. That's what I tell myself if I start having those maybe-I-should-cut-this-short thoughts.
  • rafor
    rafor Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I just remind myself I have ___ many minutes left and it would be stupid to stop 90% of the way through. I end up going faster for the last 5 minutes than I did for the rest of the workout so I can feel like I'm rushing for the end instead of slogging through it.
  • peralescm
    peralescm Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I literally talk outloud and tell myself, "YOU ARE NOT TIRED!!" KEEP GOING!! I change the song on my ipod to pump me up too.
  • Shayyy01
    Shayyy01 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    YOU WANT TO LOOK GOOD IN YOUR WEDDING DRESS! YOU WANT TO LOOK GOOD ON YOUR HONEYMOON!!!!! YOU WANT YOUR ARMS TO LOOK LIKE ARMS AND NOT THIGHS!!!

haha, these are the things i tell myself when i'm on the verge of tears at the gym doing my circuit workout.

^^^^ Love it! I do the same thing!!! ^^^^
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I don't usually tell myself anything, I just concentrate on my music or something else and keep going although I also focus on keeping my HR up.
  • GinNouveau
    GinNouveau Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I understand where you're coming from. I just finish. I use my imagination a lot. When I'm walking I may tell myself he next tree or lampost is a big life goal (marriage, children, dream job) and if I really want it I just have to walk a few steps to get it. You are the only one stopping you. It hurts and it sucks, but what is the point of doing it if you can't feel proud of yourself after? If you always have this problem, maybe you should consider shorter workouts and increase your time gradually by a minute or two at a time?
  • tsdsign
    tsdsign Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I tell myself to work hard and finish now so I won't have to do it later. I can take a day off if I just finish it now.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    "one more song"

During jumprope sessions.
  • An hour of pain is a liftime of gain.
  • purplebabe2025
    purplebabe2025 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Oooooohhhhhhhaaaaaaaaa!!!
    Just 5 mins more!
  • WickedMouse
    WickedMouse Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I tell myself to break through the wall.. then when I do, I can go for another 30 minutes. Don't give up on yourself!
  • rainbowbuggy
    Options
    "I can do ANYTHING for ____ minutes" filling in the blank with the number of minutes. Works every time because it's true!

THIS!!!!!!!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Don't be an *kitten*. That's what I tell myself if I start having those maybe-I-should-cut-this-short thoughts.

THIS!

If I cut my workout short then, in my mind, it's incomplete which is the same thing as not done. Which means I didn't do my workout. Why would I waste 45 minutes of my time when 60 would make it done?
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I literally coach myself through working out towards the end, I will tell myself "Don't you give up" or "Just a little more, you go this" - sometimes I say it outloud and people at the gym look at me funny! LOL
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options

LOL...I say something very similar to this...

And...(because I workout outside)... I make little mini goals like: just make it to the next light pole, the next stop sign...whatever. Then, when I get there, I set another mini goal.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options

That's my favorite!