People that cook & bake...

Options
13»

Replies

• messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Baking I use Wilton, cooking I use the Rachael Ray line and I love it. Cooking simplified.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I really like my mixing bowls from Pampered Chef as they have lids, finger holds, and the rubber bottom. For cookie sheets/pans etc. I would suggest going to TJ Maxx. They have a lot of awesome brands for cheap. I bought 2 Calphalon cookie sheets for $10 each. I also like the pyrex glass 9X13 or other sizes as they usually come with a nice lid. I have an old set of 3 rectangle glass food containers the nest and have lids from Crate & Barrel. They have awesome storage/cooking items that are reasonably priced.

Good luck!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    anyone have an opinion on the goldtouch non-stick bakeware from Williams-Sonoma?

I have 2 Kaiser Springform pans from them that I've had for 15+ years and they are still in like new shape.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I have some stainless bowls that I use for mixing. Bought them at Sam's club for like $12 and they're great. I use Calphalon wooden tools for everything. Pampered Chef stones for doughs and breads. I have tons of Pyrex dishes I use for baking and storage. And I use Wilton pans for things like cookies.

I don't buy silicon anything. Hubby is a chemist and showed me how the chemicals from the silicon leach into your food while it's baking. Not something we need over here. I also really hate Farberware. I bought a brand new set, have always had washed it and like the third time I used it everything stuck to it. BAH!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

I don't buy silicon anything. Hubby is a chemist and showed me how the chemicals from the silicon leach into your food while it's baking. Not something we need over here. I also really hate Farberware. I bought a brand new set, have always had washed it and like the third time I used it everything stuck to it. BAH!

Yea? And did he do a comparison study for leaching of chemicals from stoneware and other metals?

Did he test FDA approved, baking-grade silicone?

According to most sources I've read, silicone bakeware is inert up to 428F...

http://www.rwood.com/Articles/Healthy_Cookware.htm
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Love Pampered Chef Stonewaer... for cooking I like Calphalon and All Clad.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options
    Love Pampered Chef Stonewaer... for cooking I like Calphalon and All Clad.

Lots of talk about this pampered chef...I will have to check it out!
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    I'm not really a Pampered Chef fan, but their stoneware is all I use for baking. No other stones have compared and I couldn't live without them. I have a stone sheet pan, 9x13, bread/loaf pan and muffin tins. I love the way the food turns out on them.

I agree .. the stonewear is awesome. One or two pieces is a must in any kitchen! They are very multipurpose and last forever .. well, almost forever. Not exactly dishwasher safe, but they are amazingly easy to wash.
  • legacysh
    legacysh Posts: 464
    Options
    I just ordered a bakeware set from QVC that is metal but has the handles and the bottom covered in the latex bakeware stuff. Apparently its dishwasher and microwave safe. It can go right from the oven to the counter because the latex acts as a trivet.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Yea? And did he do a comparison study for leaching of chemicals from stoneware and other metals?

Yes. At the time he worked in the lab that tested the chemical toxicity for Pyrex - for all of their products.
    Did he test FDA approved, baking-grade silicone?

Yes. The FDA and their guidelines are a bit of joke.
    According to most sources I've read, silicone bakeware is inert up to 428F...

Most of my baking is done at 450F - hence the concern.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

Most of my baking is done at 450F - hence the concern.

So high? I'm surprised! I suppose you would need to be concerned if you were baking above the recommended temperature