Does anyone steal your thunder?

Options
sylvuz323
sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
So I'm sitting with family at the dinner table for our Thanksgiving meal and my cousin-in-law's father turns to tell me how beautiful I look. I sit there and say "thank you", that's very sweet. My cousin-in-law commented well she's always been pretty and he goes on to say well she just happens to look even prettier. So then my sister-in-law steps in to comment on how the rest of my siblings (all men 2 of them) are also very handsome. He goes on to tell her, he isn't talking about them he is talking about me. She of course enjoys starting a discussion over it, I couldn't help but think Why are you stealing my thunder?

Replies

• Puddykat1026
    Puddykat1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I hear you. It happens to me all the time. Or people telling me what I "should" do or try that obviously didn't work for them. Drives me nuts. And I've had people tell me how great I am, how proud they are of me of the choices I'm making and a certain someone has to swoop in & get some accolades too. Oh well, I know I'm doing the best I can with what I got and the fact that someone else noticed is good enough for me. Let them steal my thunder... I had it first :)
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    What a hater. She tried to steal your thunder, but she FAILED. LOL
  • sylvuz323
    Options
    oh yes I get that too, you should try doing this...but why should I try something else if what I'm already doing is working well for me. Everyone has an answer for you.

But you are right, it was my thunder first!
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. In fact often when I am complimented I try to put the focus on others.
    Atleast I think. I always worry I talk too much about myself and quickly try to correct that.
  • EnufAlready
    EnufAlready Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    They were just jealous. I'm glad your cousin-in-law or was it father in law kept to his guns and continued to focus on his original compliment.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Let it go. You still received a lovely compliment.
  • rochey1098
    Options
    Let them steal my thunder... I had it first :)

Lol I like it and couldn't agree more. You've lost weight for you and that will always be the best part, if people feel the need to douse the flames of social interest in your weight loss then screw them, they're just making themselves look silly.

I say well done to you
  • rhonda_joanne
    Options
    you were the creator of the thunder...they needed it 'cos they didn't have any!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Meh. Nobody likes a person that toots their own horn. Consider the source of the "thunder thief" and how much credibility she has with any of the sane people in the room. Then, move on.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    It sounds like they are just trying to steal each other's thunder seeing who can give the bigger compliment. You have odd in-laws.
  • Soulshine_Girl
    Soulshine_Girl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hmm... not seeing it; your cousin-in-law's father, however, sounds like a bit of a letch ;-)
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I don't own any thunder.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    It sounds like someone was jealous and maybe someone tried to make her feel better but stuck her foot in her mouth in doing so.
  • sylvuz323
    Options
    Let it go. You still received a lovely compliment.

It was a lovely compliment, I just happen to have one of those "there she goes again SIL"
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I don't own any thunder.
    Get me some cabbage, pizza or beans -- and I'll work up a thunder storm like you wouldn't believe!
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    It's thunda. Pronounced thun-dahhhhhh.
  • natika33
    natika33 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Jealously, which is a by-product of low self-esteem/lack of self-confidence. Perhaps your cousin-in-law thinks of you as wonderful and successful and wishes she could be like you. Compliment her and make her feel special, point out her good points when possible and likely she will feel less need to compare herself to you.

Sounds like her father already figured out what was going on anyway when he said he wasn't talking about them, he was talking about you. I'd say that was a side-ways comment aimed more at your cousin-in-law than at your sister-in-law. He let her save face though. Wise man.
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    It's thunda. Pronounced thun-dahhhhhh.

This ^
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Every night when I go to sleep I pray that someone steals my thunder thighs.

No luck so far.