Calling all Beachbody coaches, RE: Shakeology

Options

Replies

• RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    so far i'm very interested that if this question was posed to the CEO of Beachbody that he immediately didn't answer yes that Shakeology was manufactured in a GMP certified facility and didn't off to provide a 3rd party COA for shakeology

maybe there is a beachbody coach that has been doing it a little bit longer and knows about the product that they are selling?

You get out of here with your "logic" and your "science".

Shakeology has D-list actors and OPRAH. Cuz if one thing screams consistent, sustainable fat-loss, it's Oprah.

Wait, wut?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

You get out of here with your "logic" and your "science".

Shakeology has D-list actors and OPRAH. Cuz if one thing screams consistent, sustainable fat-loss, it's Oprah.

Wait, wut?

^ Sticky please.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Bump. Weak responses. Good thread.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Sorry..ignore this one...
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Not only do I want to know the answers to the original questions but I want to know what the questions meant!!!!!! ;)

lol yea i got part of them, but there were alot of acronyms and such i dont know......hence why I dont sell beachbody stuff :)
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Moral of this story?

People suppor this stufff so strongly, get asked some simple questions, get upset when they can't answer, take it personal, then delete their accounts.
  • newarkco05
    Options
    I don't understand half of the questions that were asked but it now makes me want to do a lot of research on the products I am buying and what kind of crap people are trying to sell to me.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I don't understand half of the questions that were asked but it now makes me want to do a lot of research on the products I am buying and what kind of crap people are trying to sell to me.

questions 1 & 2 refer to manufacturing processes and quality assurance

3/5/6/7/8 refer to ingredient choices (5-8 refer to vitamin types, since quality of vitamin forms in terms of bio availablity is more important then the actual quantifies)

4/9/10 are questions regarding things found in their marketing materials and wondering if all the 70 ingredients are more then label filler and in dosages that are proven to actually be beneficial to humans
  • RicSnyder
    RicSnyder Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    1. Is Shakeology manufactured in a facility meeting the following compliance standards?
    NSF Certification Guideline 306
    NSF GMP Registration Policies
    GMP requirements in NSF/ANSI Standard 173 Section 8
    NNfA GMP Certified

The FDA does not approve any dietary supplements. However, the FDA does set regulations and guidelines for the manufacturing of supplements, which Shakeology follows. Shakeology is manufactured in a facility that is registered with the FDA, adheres to current Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and is GMP-Certified by the NSF and the NPA.

2. Can you provide any 3rd party COAs for Shakeolgy?

Third-party labs are use to check the ingredients of Shakeology. All Beachbody nutrition products are 3rd party tested to ensure they are free of rancidity, toxins, hormones and all of the other things most people fear from dairy products. When sorting through the endless amounts of nutritional advice found in the Internet, consider the source, and above all else, look to your own body’s response for a clue to the truth. Be wary of individuals offering alarmist nutritional advice while at the same time criticizing information as simply being slick marketing.

9. according to the marketing material Shakeology "Shakeology was specially formulated for the collection of ingredients to work together like a symphony" can you provide any peer reviewed researching showing that all the compounds esp in the prop blends work synergistically and are in the proper amounts? Just off the top of my head i know that zinc depends on copper for optimum utilization, optimally in a 10 to 1 ratio (Shakeology has a 7.5:1 ratio, which may lead to the suppression of copper-based antioxidant enzymes)

This is because individuals may be taking supplements in addition to Shakeology, and likely have many other sources of minerals and nutrients in their diet. So, even if Shakeology contained the 10:1 ratio you suggest is optimal, this ratio would only be maintained if an individual ate nothing but Shakeology. It is important to watch your total intake to make sure you do not exceed TUIL for copper, and zinc. I have seen it suggested that the TUIL for copper is 10mg/day, and for zinc 40mg/day.

Finally, we all understand that the human body is complex and always changing. What your body needs today it may not need in ten years. What it reacted to ten years ago it may crave today. And every one is different. Shakeology is not the answer for everyone, but they are always working on ways to complement the company’s line of nutritional products.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    First off wow, this thread is getting viscous.

I've found this thread pretty good readinganyway, but this really gave me a giggle.
    Does it mean this thread should be a STICKY??

DEFINITION:
    vis·cous/ˈviskəs/
    Adjective. Having a thick, sticky consistency between solid and liquid; having a high viscosity.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    1. Is Shakeology manufactured in a facility meeting the following compliance standards?
    NSF Certification Guideline 306
    NSF GMP Registration Policies
    GMP requirements in NSF/ANSI Standard 173 Section 8
    NNfA GMP Certified

The FDA does not approve any dietary supplements. However, the FDA does set regulations and guidelines for the manufacturing of supplements, which Shakeology follows. Shakeology is manufactured in a facility that is registered with the FDA, adheres to current Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and is GMP-Certified by the NSF and the NPA.

2. Can you provide any 3rd party COAs for Shakeolgy?

Third-party labs are use to check the ingredients of Shakeology. All Beachbody nutrition products are 3rd party tested to ensure they are free of rancidity, toxins, hormones and all of the other things most people fear from dairy products. When sorting through the endless amounts of nutritional advice found in the Internet, consider the source, and above all else, look to your own body’s response for a clue to the truth. Be wary of individuals offering alarmist nutritional advice while at the same time criticizing information as simply being slick marketing.

9. according to the marketing material Shakeology "Shakeology was specially formulated for the collection of ingredients to work together like a symphony" can you provide any peer reviewed researching showing that all the compounds esp in the prop blends work synergistically and are in the proper amounts? Just off the top of my head i know that zinc depends on copper for optimum utilization, optimally in a 10 to 1 ratio (Shakeology has a 7.5:1 ratio, which may lead to the suppression of copper-based antioxidant enzymes)

This is because individuals may be taking supplements in addition to Shakeology, and likely have many other sources of minerals and nutrients in their diet. So, even if Shakeology contained the 10:1 ratio you suggest is optimal, this ratio would only be maintained if an individual ate nothing but Shakeology. It is important to watch your total intake to make sure you do not exceed TUIL for copper, and zinc. I have seen it suggested that the TUIL for copper is 10mg/day, and for zinc 40mg/day.

Finally, we all understand that the human body is complex and always changing. What your body needs today it may not need in ten years. What it reacted to ten years ago it may crave today. And every one is different. Shakeology is not the answer for everyone, but they are always working on ways to complement the company’s line of nutritional products.

Notice how you completely dodged the question of peer-review.
  • c0nundrum
    c0nundrum Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump bump bumpity bump.
  • Acg67
    Options
    Ric you seem like a smart guy, why do you think they used the forms of vitamins i asked about vs the ones i listed. just curious if you have any opinions on that
  • RicSnyder
    Options
    Ric you seem like a smart guy, why do you think they used the forms of vitamins i asked about vs the ones i listed. just curious if you have any opinions on that

I do not know. My thought is that the folks at Beachbody have reasons for each ingredient they selected. Those reasons may be based in science, they may be based in economics, or they may be based in both.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Interesting questions
  • Acg67
    Options

I do not know. My thought is that the folks at Beachbody have reasons for each ingredient they selected. Those reasons may be based in science, they may be based in economics, or they may be based in both.

at the current price point you'd think they would strive to use the most bioavailable forms of vitamins and still be able to have a healthy profit margin

Personally i think the quality of vitamins is more important then the actual amounts of vitamins in a product
  • RicSnyder
    Options

at the current price point you'd think they would strive to use the most bioavailable forms of vitamins and still be able to have a healthy profit margin

Personally i think the quality of vitamins is more important then the actual amounts of vitamins in a product

I am going to ask the people at Beachbody these questions. It may take a couple days to get a response. I’ll let you know what they say.
  • missmaya24
    missmaya24 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I think different people are at different levels of nutrition awareness, standards and requirements. What is a healthier choice for one, maybe not be a healthier option for another. I think about this when it comes to meal replacements, shakes, vitamins, supplements, workouts and everything else health related.

If your lifestyle is sitting on the couch, watching tv all day, eating a whole large pizza for a snack, ice cream, McDonalds and junk all day; there is so much room for improvement, basically anything is better. Your workout could be a walk around the block and cereal and milk for breakfast would be a perfect choice. Or substituting one meal a day for any off the shelf meal replacement is a better choice than what you are currently doing.

As you get more fit, learn more, do some research, read up and educate yourself, you apply that knowledge to your own life and make different and what you see as better choices. I think one of the big steps in health and fitness is making the jump to whole foods, clean foods and real foods. No more boxes, cans and bags. You start to understand the value of food in their original state with the least amount of processing and manipulation.

From there, there are some individuals that take their health, nutrition and workouts to an expert level. There is so much imformation and analysis that can be done on every individual nutrient, people dedicate careers to it. Much respect for Acg67 for knowing what questions to ask, why some nutrients needs to be balanced to what level and being at the level where that is what will make a difference to his health. I believe very few people are there and there are very few people here at MFP who can offer advice to him. Best of luck in getting the answers to those questions.

Not every product is for the person who is at the 99% level of health and fitness. Maybe Shakeology is, maybe it isn't. Sounds like Acg67 is on the path to finding that out. I drink Shakeology, yes. I am not a coach, I don't sell it. I care about what I eat, I try and eat the best I can to my knowledge. I can pronounce all the ingredients, so that is a great start. It doesn't have artificial sweeteners in it, which is something I care about in my diet. I travel an hour to work in the morning, so it is a great shake to have for breakfast. I get my protein as well as some more vitamins and supplements. It works for me. Keeps me satisfied and I feel as though my body reacts well to it. I feel better, I can get through my workouts, I don't crave jelly beans at 330 in the afternoon and my digestion seems to be more consistant.

In my opinion, to each their own. I also have a scoop of ON whey pre workout. But that didn't work for me for breakfast, so I found something else. Shakeology may not be perfect, but I believe it can be incorporated into a healthy lifestyle successfully.
  • cjipping
    cjipping Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    This is quite an interesting thread..... good to know that people are curious about what they are putting into their bodies. For anyone who is genuinely concerned, Amway has three products that are NSF GMP and Athletic Banned Substances certifications. Here's the link http://www.nsf.org/Certified/GMP/Listings.asp?CertName=Amway.

During my college days, I was a rower for Ohio State, I was drug tested many times throughout my rowing career and never once tested positive for anything. I was taking their Double X multi-vitamin, fish oil, and concentrated fruits and vegetables daily. Plus a lot of their energy products. Never tested positive, ever. Still take them today, and would never think about missing a day without my vitamins. I love the way they make me feel and the quality control that they have at the corporation. Plus, most of their fields are in the United States and provide many jobs to Americans.

Of course, after a friend introduced me to the products in college, I became a business owner, but I'm not writing this to spam public message boards with my personal website, if you'd like more information about the products you can send me a personal message.