I am emotionally tired/non supportive spouse

Options
2»

Replies

• darlalu00
    darlalu00 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I know where your coming from...my bf is the same way! Always trying to get me to eat all the bad stuff that he can't live without! Just one won't ruin your diet! I just respond it's not a diet it's a way of life an I stay strong and say no! I love all that stuff, but I've come to realized I love myself more than I love the food! Don't let him sabotage your success! I know it's hard when someone you love can't give you the support you need, but you have to find it within yourself if you want it bad enough! Good luck on your journey!!! Add me as a friend if you like! Stay strong...YOU CAN DO IT!!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Men!! How can he justify spending money on unhealthy food like ice cream and cake but complain about buying healthy food like turkey?? Does he want you to be unhealthy? But sadly you can't control what he eats, so just stick to your plan and leave the room when he starts eating junk food that temps you.
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    HUG
    You have found a good site for support while it is not in your home, yet.......................................always optimistic.
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    You can justify the price. I am also a picky spender at times, but I've realized that I have been cutting down how much I eat on my weight loss journey.... So I sacrificed portion size for better foods... I hope that makes sense. It's a win win for weight loss and even break financially:)

As for the sweets and deserts, you just have to be strong. You cannot expect someone else to stop how they eat if they don't want to change. This is a test to your mental strength. Just stay strong and don't eat it. If you have to eat it, make sure you fit it in your calorie count.

Remember that the most important rule of weight loss is Caloric Deficit.

YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • ecalonge
    Options
    If the turkey doesn't fit into your budget then the ice cream and donuts don't either.

GOT THAT RIGHT! I agree Fried Green Tomatoes will be good emotional therapy too and it's just such a good movie.

Super BIG hug to you "((((Loves418))))"
  • SharadaRose
    Options
    Fried Green Tomatoes...what a great reference! You need to stay strong for yourself...he'll catch on once he sees how determined you are. Sometimes, husbands need a little more time to register your needs.
    HUGS!!

So well said. I think well atleast i hope they mean well. They just think differently than us. Mine eats whatever he wants because he can. Sometimes its hard. I love chocolate. Love love love it. So its hard to watch his skinny little self eat it.

like stated above stay strong and hopefully he will get the point! and if he doesn't well bring on Tawanda!! ( watch the movie youll get it ) LOL

HUGS!!!!
    Best of luck to you
    Friend me if you would like!
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I totally understand my SO is the same way...i soo wish he would do this with me cause i dont want him to have health problems down the road...and its hard seeing him chow down on all the things you used to love...:happy:
  • JasonSwetland
    JasonSwetland Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky my wife is pretty supportive but I haven't always been married too her. My last wife wasn't supportive of me loosing weight because of her own self esteem issues. When you start dealing with your eating behaviors its a sore reminder to the spouse of their bad eating behaviors and he's not in the same place as you. He just iant ready to deal with his own mess. Don't let that stop you. He can be in a different place than you and sometimes we forget that about our S.O.'s.

Try to remember he's someone you (once) loved and probably still do and do your thing hoping hell come out of the denial ignore it mode and be inspired by your hard work. I know its hard. But when he comes around (he will eventually) it will feel great. Keep up the hard work you are doing, I'm proud of you.
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    (((HUGS))) I know it's hard. Take a deep breath, find your inner strength, put your head down and plow ahead. Chances are things aren't going to change on his end so don't be afraid to put your foot down. This is for your health-the MOST important thing in the world. I don't make any excuses about taking time for myself to exercise, even when my husband is grumpy and doesn't want to deal with watching our child for that hour. Too bad, I need this. You deserve this. There is a time to be a b*tch and this is it! Buy your turkey - tell him it's cheaper than the medical bills you'll have from poor health and disease :) I hope this doesn't sound harsh-just trying to convey that it's ok to be selfish sometimes and put yourself first.

Good for you on your lifestyle change! Best of luck!

Love this! And it's so true Sometimes you just have to be selfish and think about yourself. One of 2 things will happen, he will see your determination and success, and decide to join you, or he will see your determination and success, and decide to keep his habits. You can't control him and what he puts in his body, but you can completely control you and what you put in your body. I know it's hard and he may not understand right now, if ever he does, but you have to keep going. You will find a ton of support here when you need it. :flowerforyou:
  • derrick_walker
    derrick_walker Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    HUGS - One thing that I have learned is that you can't depend on anyone helping you get to your goal. After all, it's your goal and there's no guarantee that anyone will be on the same page at the same time as you are. I commend you for your task at hand! Losing weight is a tough thing sometimes and can be a very mental journey. It's always better to the trip with someone though when life doesn't present you with a buddy to travel with set the stakes very high and proceed alone. I'm not a fan of Chocolate Ice Cream either... Strap on your seat belt and go for it! It will be tough though it will be fun seeing yourself fit into things that you could not fit into before. You will begin to feel different about yourself which will make all the difference. This is something that no one can give you, you must get it for yourself but the affects can be eternal! It's worth it either alone or with your spouse.

Stay encouraged!
  • paigele
    paigele Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I agree "You can onlly control you, you are only responsible for you....decide, commit, succeed..."

Who knows what he is thinking. It could be many many things. But when I personally decided that this journey is one I have to take for myself and no one else, the temptations that came my way were easier to face, as were the criticisms.

I FINALLY have stopped hearing my coworkers tell me that I am "losing too much weight," or that I "am too thin." Of COURSE they would think that way when they have never ever seen a healthy me.

I check in with my primary care physician every few months and give him a status update and he is thrilled that I am off the meds I needed before and staying on track.

Do it for you and every time you see a food item that is tempting to you but you know doesn't have nutritional benefit, say to yourself, " diabetes, heart disease, stroke, liver and kidney problems, blindness, cancer..." (Risk for these and other ailments are linked to improper eating patterns.)

It works for me because I don't want anyone to have to change my adult diaper if I can help it.

Oh and you may want to plant the seed now that cardiovascular disease in men looks different than in women. Often the first indication that men have of vascular problems is onset of erectile dysfunction. True. If he isn't eating healthy let him know to get a jump start on it now, and if he is encourage him to stay that way for a lifetime of happiness all the way around.
    Reference: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/erectile-dysfunction/HB00074

If that doesn't paint a motivational picture for you then just accept this virtual {hug} and keep truckin'.
  • SHDenver
    SHDenver Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm not in your house, but I can understand the frustrations of not having someone be supportive. I liked the idea of cooking some turkey in the beginning of the week and then portioning it for sandwich as far as cost effectiveness. (I also like chicken in sandwiches and you can buy chicken breasts in bulk in a lot of stores.) Also, you might want to mentally and physically separate the healthy foods you like from his foods. I don't know if that's good advice or not, I guess just something to try. Perhaps if you're foods in a cabinet where you don't have to see his--or if they're in a separate drawer in the fridge, you can better support yourself in not gravitating towards his foods.

I'm assuming you guys cook and eat together for most meals. I've been looking for ways to cook foods in healthier ways, such as not using fats or oils when sateing, and instead using spices (Major four are black pepper, no-salt sodium alternative, garlic powder, cayenne pepper) and instead putting a reduced fat or sometime full fat cheese on my meats. (Go to is blue cheese)

I find baking with cooking spray and using spices also adds a lot of flavors to veggies, meats, etc. I'm also looking for lower sodium and calorie alternatives to whole grain cous cous, rices, etc.

Just some ideas, though I recognize that I'm by myself, so it's a lot easier to test foods and stay within a reasonable budget. Use the support you can get from people on here and in your life until your husband realizes what he's doing. There's a lot of mental and emotional crap we all go through around food and I'm assuming your husband is going through the same things. Hopefully he figures it out. Take care and let this site be your support!
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    My hubby does the same thing- snacks on candy/sweets all night, every night. I LOVE CANDY!!!! He complains to me how he "tries to gain weight, and can't". boo hoo.

BUT- I made the decision that I want to lose weight... for ME. Some days I sit down and munch on candy with him, even though I know I shouldn't. It's ok. The next day I get back on track. It's a slow go. Eating less candy is part of my lifestyle change- but I'm not willing to cut candy out of my life forever.

Good luck to you- and it will get easier!!! Be strong day by day... minute by minute if you have to. Just don't give up because he's not supporting you. YOU be strong!

((((((((((((((((o)))))))))))))))))
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I had a little bit of trouble with this in the beginning too. I'd be hungry and all my calories were gone and he'd be eating cookies, another bowl of cereal, etc. But I just had to realize that it's his choice, and not even a few weeks ago I was eating the same things as he was and I surely didn't want him to say something to me about it. So now I try to only worry about what I'm eating, though I understand that it's easier said than done when it means your partner is bringing in lots of junk to the house.
  • smblakely
    Options
    I know how you feel. My husband tries, but he doesn't get it. He is very active. Plays basketball ALL the time and never gains a pound. Can eat whatever he wants. He came home this past weekend after going to the grocery store with his daughter (my step-daughter) and brought back, powdered doughnuts, chocolate doughnuts, Krispy Kreme doughnuts, huge muffins, and whole milk. Mind you he had to go to the store to get breakfast stuff for the weekend; so I asked him what I was supposed to eat, he just looked at me and said why can't you eat this. It's not that bad for you. I was so mad, because I felt like he wanted me to fail. Not to make excuses, but they just don't understand. Sometimes I think my husband doesn't want me to lose weight so other men won’t find me attractive. IDK...I hope it works out for you. I sent you a friend request so maybe we can vent...haha.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    sending you big hugs! I'm also a wife whose husband doesn't understand my strieve to be better, eat better and do better. I can tell you from personal experience, you must do this for you! You can't control what he eats, when he eats it but you must have the self control to say no thank you. My husband eats junk every night, he used to bring me my favorite things after a while he noticed I wasn't eating them or tempting to eat them so know my surprises are grapes, yogurts, smoothies etc.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    If you dont have the self control to stick to your own diet without expecting other people to eat exactly the same, you may as well give up now because its only a matter of time before youre in the company of someone else eating cake again.
  • barbergirl28
    barbergirl28 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. My husband has a tendency to try and shove food down my face. He doesn't realize that I can only say No so many times before my willpower fails. He isn't trying to hurt me... he just thinks it is something I would enjoy and he is trying to be nice. Have you tried telling your husband that this is something that you need ot do for yourself. I have had the talk to my husband and it works for awhile and then he just reverts to old habits. Good luck and stay strong!
  • dorisholaway
    dorisholaway Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I know what you are talking about. Many years ago when I was married, my husband would complain so much about me being over weight and I would go on a diet just for him. And he would go to the store and buy 8 to 10 boxes of Little Debbies and bring them in the house. ( he never would do this until I started dieting) He has always been an extra skinny (or should I say scrawny) man. He knew that I could not resist them if they were in the house. I now am a happily divorced lady and am losing weight for myself, not him.