How late is too late to eat?

Options

Replies

• amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I know that eating later is said to be fine as long as the choices are alright, but my body disagrees.
    I can not lose weight if I eat late no matter what it is. Even if I eat a bunch of fruit and a Fiber 1 bar, I will not lose weight.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    It's never too late to eat. Just eat protein and fat not carbs. Cottage cheese is good because the Casein protein is slower digesting so i feeds your muscles while you sleep. Eggs are also a good choice. Sometimes I have a casein protein shake. but the main thing is stay away from a lot of carbs.

I have a glass of wine and a cup of ice cream right before bed. No adverse effects
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but all of these people telling you "it doesn't matter" are comepletly wrong. I just learned about this in my physio class and there have been countless studies done on this matter. It does matter - see my previous post.

Here is some reading. I trust NIH studies.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/390149-should-i-eat-at-night
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but all of these people telling you "it doesn't matter" are comepletly wrong. I just learned about this in my physio class and there have been countless studies done on this matter. It does matter - see my previous post.

As others have said, this is a myth.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3263249.stm
  • JUDGEDBY1
    Options
    Just a few ours b4 you go 2 bed. Coz when sleeping with a full stomach, it can store into fat, because no physical avtivity is taking place at the time. :-)
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Just a few ours b4 you go 2 bed. Coz when sleeping with a full stomach, it can store into fat, because no physical avtivity is taking place at the time. :-)

That's not true. My metoabolism hums right along whether I am sleeping or not. So does yours!
  • shellyc7182
    shellyc7182 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    In general, you're supposed to stop eating 1.5-2 hours before you go to bed so you don't disrupt sleep patterns.

This.... If I eat too late, it'll take me forever to go to sleep!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I don't know the science behind it, I only know that if I eat something heavy and then fall asleep (whether it be a nap or actually going to bed) I get heart burn! So I don't like to eat anything big before going to sleep. Snacks are fine for me though. This is just my personal experience, I'd say do whatever works for you!
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Care to back this statement up?

YOU are the one that is wrong. There is ZERO evidence that eating late has a negative effect on metabolism.

As far as disrupting sleep is concerned, this is a highly individual response. Some do not respond well to eating right before bed, others are just fine with it.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    In general, you're supposed to stop eating 1.5-2 hours before you go to bed so you don't disrupt sleep patterns (which is important for weight loss). When your metabolism is up and running, it will prevent your bodily functions from shutting down and prevent you from entering the REM sleep stage.
    Can you back this up? This sounds wrong to me.

We just learned about this in my Physio class. I'll find the chapter in my textbook and quote it for you

And when was that textbook written? It takes years for new research to filter down to classes, even to doctors.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options

Here is some reading. I trust NIH studies.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/390149-should-i-eat-at-night
    With the references in that link, I would declare this...

myth-busted.jpg
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Myth
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    For me, it doesn't matter when I eat. I've learned that if I don't eat something right before I go to bed? I will wake up in the middle of the night and will binge eat on junk. So, I make sure I eat before I go to bed because I'm in better control of what I'm eating when I'm not half asleep and starving.
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    In general, you're supposed to stop eating 1.5-2 hours before you go to bed so you don't disrupt sleep patterns.

Thankfully this does not happen to me, I sleep like a baby! :bigsmile:
  • chevy88grl
    Options

Myth

Your body is still completing basic functions, growing hair, etc while you are sleeping. So, you are still burning calories even while asleep.
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Personally, I know that when I go to bed with a stomach full of heavy, greasy food, it really just bothers my sleep and I tend to wake up feeling full, bloated and just plain icky. Even if it doesn't bother my calorie count for the day, I just go by how I feel when I wake.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Never to late to eat! It's simply calories in vs. calories out. I eat at all hours...and usually include wine in there, too!

You are a keeper! :drinker:
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

But it won't affect your metabolism. What you experience is a personal thing, and in your case, yes, you shouldn't eat late if it disrupts your sleep.

If, like me, it doesn't disrupt your sleep, then there is nothing stopping you eating right before bed, as i do! I skip breakfast, eat a 2-300 cal lunch, a 1k dinner, and the rest is snacks before bed :)
  • chevy88grl
    Options

Thankfully this does not happen to me, I sleep like a baby! :bigsmile:

I sleep better if I eat before I go to bed. Otherwise, I simply lay there and think about food. Then if I do fall asleep, I'll wake up starving and consume an entire package of cookies. lol.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options

Some of the rest of us have taken physio classes too. One class does not an expert make. :D

I mean that kindly. I'm not trying to insult you... but I've TAUGHT physiology classes in the past and I'll tell you honestly, I've propagated a few myths before. Never on purpose, but because I didn't know better at the time. Professors don't know everything. They just pretend to know everything.

My opinion: It doesn't matter when you eat. Even if eating late leads to more fat storage or some other weird metabolism issues... it all evens out in the end and it's more important to eat than to not eat.

Someone... Sidesteal maybe?... used to have a "don't sweat the small stuff" on his signature. I really like that attitude. This diet and exercise stuff is hard. Don't make your life harder by some meaningless ritual that dictates when you eat or don't eat.