how many of you are grammar nazis?

Options
i hate to admit it, but i think i'm definitely a grammar nazi! though, i value spelling more so over punctuative grammar, or knowing when to use where, and were...so i'm not as bad as others. But i cant help but think that my boss is an idiot if he cant spell correctly in a simple memo, or if someone is a self-proclaimed up and coming entertainment professional, and "spellz liek diz. N thinkz U R sum1 who should B takin seriuzly when U make fb posts liek diz." the great poets and literary masters would surely revel at your grasp of the written language... -_-

i typically dont say anything about it, hell, i'm definitely not perfect...but it does irk me, and make me weep for the future generations who will soon have no idea that the sentence "R U sum1 I no?" used to be spelled "are you someone i know?"

Replies

• shellyc7182
    shellyc7182 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    You are my new favorite person. Oh, wait. I'm sorry.

ur my nu favrit prsn.
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Two semesters of grading freshman comp papers will convince (nearly) anyone that formal English is dying a slow and agonizing (to some readers) death.
  • Goldenwoof
    Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    (Raising my hand and waving it wildy.)

Poor spelling, poor grammar and poor punctuation are HUGE pet peeves of mine. In fact, it boggles my mind when I see so many people screwing up there/their/they're, your/you're, etc. And on this site, I couldn't even guess how many people want to "loose" weight.

You're not alone. :)
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I don't mind the occasional spelling mistake or the confusion between the word lose and loose...but when it comes to shortening of words then yes I want to go all Nazi on their *kitten*.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I used to be, but now that I live and work in my second language and work with people in their second or third languages, I've learned that it's not really that important.
  • Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    Options
    Correction: "Are you someone I know?"
  • lunchgirlie
    lunchgirlie Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely a grammar nazi. I usually try to keep it under wraps (don't worry folks, I won't start calling you out!) but sometimes it sneaks out with close friends and family. I have the whole thing, misplaced apostrophes, misuse of homophones, and countless other things bother me. Of course I'm not perfect myself but when I do notice an error in my own writing I get doubly annoyed! It's like an illness.
  • stenochick0417
    stenochick0417 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Bad grammar makes me NUTS! :explode:

SO glad I'm not the only one!
  • sarahvive
    Options
    Yes, therefore message boards often drive me nuts, especially here with lose/loose, breath/breathe, and weigh/weight.

P.S. Why aren't you capitalizing your i's??? :)
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    Correction: "Are you someone I know?"

^ This.
  • ninjapixie87
    ninjapixie87 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am, and your post makes me twitch a little.
  • Alsison
    Alsison Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I do agree with you, although I must point out that the punctuation in your post is not exactly perfect....

Cheers,

Alsison
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I am very picky about spelling and grammer in general work and official correspondence. I write policy, manuals, mass emails etc. HOWEVER personal emails, texts, this site, MFP etc. I tend to switch to the popular acryonyms and shortened version of sentence structures to save time and space. Even then I find it sad when my grandkids or other folks can't spell or use certain words correctly (e.g. there vs. their).
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I sort of feel sorry for those who get too dependent on the current writing short hand.
    Someday they may get a job with an old fart like me; who expects writing to be clear, concise and cogent. Dinosaurs won't rule the earth forever though, so text on.....
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    What really bothers me is when people try to correct others, yet make egregious mistakes while doing it.
  • misty8parker
    misty8parker Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm totally with you. I can't stand it!! I'm trying to eliminate smileys and exclamation points on every sentence too. It has been pointed out to me that adults shouldn't use emoticons. I guess to each their own but I am trying to be taken seriously and spelling, grammar, and words count.
  • dkbaron
    Options
    Just ask my husband...he thinks I am. I was an English major so I guess I am.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I'm a grammar Nazi in the sense that grammar (and spelling and punctuation) mistakes stick out like a sore thumb to me.

Some things, like beginning a sentence with "And" or "But," don't bother me on an Internet forum because I realize it's less formal. Then, there are things that make it impossible for me to take a person seriously, like writing "loose" when you mean "lose" or "weary" when you mean "wary," run-on sentences, misuse of "there," "their," "they're," etc. And I want to punch people in the throat when they use numbers in place of letters or abbreviate words that should not be abbreviated. Those are not issues of formality; they are issues of ignorance, stupidity, and laziness.
  • Navmachine
    Options
    lol'ing at folks calling me out for not capitalizing, and apostrophizing where i should. :laugh: Like -I- said, -I'M- not perfect. :tongue:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I just think it's a little ridiculous to complain about other people's mistakes when your own writing is so awful. Your posts make me want a red pen.