How late is too late to eat?

Options

Replies

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    It's too late to eat if you have a hard time digesting foods at night, and if eating before bed disrupts your sleep. At my age (64), eating late in the day will cause sleeping problems and is more likely to cause heartburn. That's all. As far as I can determine, there's no *scientific* evidence that eating something after some arbitrary hour of the day will cause you to gain more weight than eating the same thing earlier in the day ... but there are a lot of *pseudoscientific* claims and plain old Just So Stories that this is the case.

http://www.askmen.com/sports/foodcourt_250/285_metabolism-myths.html

Also, I think we need to look at the choices we make later in the day ... are our portion sizes bigger at night? Are we making healthful choices? Are we "treating ourselves" with junk or binges for being "good" earlier in the day?
  • galey2000
    Options
    Hi,

Sorry but I agree with leanmean. I've just started to diet bey my doctor and we had a long discussion about my eating habits. he pointed out That I ate little all daywhen I was busy so burned it off storage(which is harder to do) then pigged out in the evening while sat watvching tv, burning nothing off and just allowing it to turn bac k into surplus. I could not understand why my weight was going up, over the day I didn't eat a ridiculous amoun, just at the wrong times. Checked it out on google and can't find any Reliable source to confirm it as a myth, A few state theer is no evidence but most medical sources agree eating before you can burn it off before sleep is not good. This appears to be backed up by the incidence of obesity in shift workers whose eating habits ldont conform to standard patterns eg going home from the night shift having a full fry up then going to bed for 5 or 6 hours, many then get up around 12, stay up till teatime and after tea go to bed for a couple of hours before going to work. Makes sense to me
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    In general, you're supposed to stop eating 1.5-2 hours before you go to bed so you don't disrupt sleep patterns (which is important for weight loss). When your metabolism is up and running, it will prevent your bodily functions from shutting down and prevent you from entering the REM sleep stage.
    Since plenty of people have already corrected the misinformation in your second sentence, I will address the first.

I think you are correct in your first sentence. At least partly/indirectly. Sleep patterns can ultimately have an affect on how I eat, and often lack of sleep = more waking hours = more snacking. So *for some people* it's a good idea stop eating 1-2 hours before bed *because doing so may disrupt their sleep.* That point is true. I know it to be true for me. I can sometimes eat late at night and doing that will keep me up till all hours.

But the time of day that you consume calories doesn't affect the calories in/calories out equation. Nor does it affect metabolism. I would be surprised if your textbook is in conflict with this, and suspect that perhaps what you are remembering is the part about eating food disrupting sleep patterns.
  • katz22
    katz22 Posts: 116 Member
    Options

I was always told that if I was hungry in the late evening (and usually that's between 9-11pm for me) to go for protien first to feel fuller for longer, than veggies, THEN carbs. No one ever told me not to eat later in the evening, but just to be careful what it was I ate. Which made sense, since those pastries and ice cream right before didn't seem to be helping me much.

That's good advice for whenever you eat . Personally I sometimes workout around 9pm and eat 11pm; It doesn't matter as long as it fits your calorie goals. I've never lost or gained weight due to timing of meals.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Thanks, it was basically "stop trying to micromanage the crap that doesn't matter" (one line in a list of 5 things).

That's it :D

I couldn't remember the wording exactly. I liked your list of 5 things. Sad that they took it away when they stole all our signatures :(
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Behold, I have the answers to this thread. I will execute this thread like a Libyan dictator... now...

The answers you seek come from within.

Meaning...

"Eat when you are hungry."

Woah woah I know this is groundbreaking advice, every one calm down now. I promise you, it works. We have so much of mfp, doctors, Webmd, HRMs, Jillian Michaels, The Flamboyant guy with the short short shorts, George Foreman taking a POW out of fat. etc that we forget to do one simple thing.

Listen to our bodies... Try it, its awesome. (Just dont talk to your body, people look at you strange unless of course you have something in your ear that looks like blue tooth or hold your phone out like an idiot, people will think your on the phone)

I have to be careful listening to my body, sometimes it tells me to hit the drivethru and get a cheesecake along with a milkshake and fries and forget the protein or veggies. LOL Have to filter that 'body voice' b/c that chick doesn't always know what she's talking about. :-) I used to listen to her before MFP but now I'm like 'Look, B*, you're gonna listen to me!' Haha.

I am pretty sure your body isnt telling you it wants Drive thru and cheesecake, I think I would have to leave that to the brain box, which technically is your body but I digress.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Behold, I have the answers to this thread. I will execute this thread like a Libyan dictator... now...

Meaning...

Woah woah I know this is groundbreaking advice, every one calm down now. I promise you, it works. We have so much of mfp, doctors, Webmd, HRMs, Jillian Michaels, The Flamboyant guy with the short short shorts, George Foreman taking a POW out of fat. etc that we forget to do one simple thing.

Listen to our bodies... Try it, its awesome. (Just dont talk to your body, people look at you strange unless of course you have something in your ear that looks like blue tooth or hold your phone out like an idiot, people will think your on the phone)

I have to be careful listening to my body, sometimes it tells me to hit the drivethru and get a cheesecake along with a milkshake and fries and forget the protein or veggies. LOL Have to filter that 'body voice' b/c that chick doesn't always know what she's talking about. :-) I used to listen to her before MFP but now I'm like 'Look, B*, you're gonna listen to me!' Haha.

I am pretty sure your body isnt telling you it wants Drive thru and cheesecake, I think I would have to leave that to the brain box, which technically is your body but I digress.

IDK, my stomach surely growls at me when I see my husband's chocolate milkshake... LOL ;-)
  • FatassFairy
    FatassFairy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    The whole idea is ludicrous.

Why do people believe that some metabolic processes occur during sleep (digestion, fat storage, etc), but others don't (fat burning)?
    It's the little elves in my body. They flip a switch when I go to bed.

You eat ELVES before bed?!?!

now that would disrupt sleep patterns
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

Why do people believe that some metabolic processes occur during sleep (digestion, fat storage, etc), but others don't (fat burning)?

Is this a new Elf Cleanse I haven't heart about? Are the elves pregnant or will any old elf do?
  • LilMizDetermined
    LilMizDetermined Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    WOW! Apparently this is a heated debate! Well I eat consistently throughout the day to avoid feeling starved at night. I am always really hungry after a good workout. I will eat (keeping within my calorie intake).

If eating before bed disrupts my sleeping (which I don't think it does, but I honestly haven't paid attention to it), then I will change it up.

I am not micromanaging the crap that doesn't matter :D

Thanks everyone!
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Sorry but I agree with leanmean. I've just started to diet bey my doctor and we had a long discussion about my eating habits. he pointed out That I ate little all daywhen I was busy so burned it off storage(which is harder to do) then pigged out in the evening while sat watvching tv, burning nothing off and just allowing it to turn bac k into surplus. I could not understand why my weight was going up, over the day I didn't eat a ridiculous amoun, just at the wrong times. Checked it out on google and can't find any Reliable source to confirm it as a myth, A few state theer is no evidence but most medical sources agree eating before you can burn it off before sleep is not good. This appears to be backed up by the incidence of obesity in shift workers whose eating habits ldont conform to standard patterns eg going home from the night shift having a full fry up then going to bed for 5 or 6 hours, many then get up around 12, stay up till teatime and after tea go to bed for a couple of hours before going to work. Makes sense to me

This has nothing to do with WHEN people eat. It has everything to do with HOW MUCH they eat. Absolutely, if you eat very little for a 8 to 12 hour period, you're famished by the end of that period and it's very easy to over-eat and over-shoot your maintenance calories by a lot, especially if you engage in mindless eating in front of the TV). You'd do this whether you went right to bed or stayed awake.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options

Is this a new Elf Cleanse I haven't heart about? Are the elves pregnant or will any old elf do?
    Fools! Don't you know that we all have little elves inside that regulate our bodily functions? There are metabolism elves, heartbeat elves, poop-pushing elves (it's a really ****ty job), all kinds of elves.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Fools! Don't you know that we all have little elves inside that regulate our bodily functions? There are metabolism elves, heartbeat elves, poop-pushing elves (it's a really ****ty job), all kinds of elves.

MYTH.

They're not elves, they're fairies:

insulinfairy.jpg
  • foxyxxx
    foxyxxx Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    To all the people who are saying this myth was busted a long ago - here is an article from NATURE (you know, one of the most respected scientific journal out there) from 2009 written after an extensive research - http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v17/n11/full/oby2009264a.html

If everything was so simple - calorie in and calorie out, we wouldn't have these people who can eat 'anything' and not gain any weight. Also you wouldn't have a problem with all of a sudden putting on weight after you reach certain age.

People with hormonal imbalance wouldn't be putting on weight easier and faster than other people.
    You have to realize there are actually many factors that come into play.

When you sleep your metabolism (as well as ALL other bodily functions, like heartbeat) slow down, your temperature drops and the body goes into a somewhat standby mode.

All that said, it is impossible for us to get the real full picture so I would say it is best to do it the old school way, that is just by listening to your body and manage that calorie intake in general.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

Meaning...

when my body tells me to hit a drive through, i listen. in all seriousness, i'm a big one for listening to my body.
  • galey2000
    Options
    Well Ron,

although humourous, your reply really wasn't helpful. I'm well aware that the eat when you want brigade is making the loudesyt noise. However the information that I passed on came from health professionals who I expect to know what they are on about, backed up by internet research. Think that makes it a bit more credible than prattling on about elves. Obviously the body performs differently in a conscious and uncounscious state, brain activity change heart slows as does metabolism. I am not an expert, but It's a bit naive to think that the body functions exactly the same in a waking and sleeping state. I 'm happy to stand corrected by any coherent researched answers from reliable sources. I am not prepared to back down just cos somebody makes a loud noise.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    To all the people who are saying this myth was busted a long ago - here is an article from NATURE (you know, one of the most respected scientific journal out there) from 2009 written after an extensive research - http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v17/n11/full/oby2009264a.html

You are not a rat.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    It's not late, it's early.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Well Ron,

although humourous, your reply really wasn't helpful. I'm well aware that the eat when you want brigade is making the loudesyt noise. However the information that I passed on came from health professionals who I expect to know what they are on about, backed up by internet research. Think that makes it a bit more credible than prattling on about elves. Obviously the body performs differently in a conscious and uncounscious state, brain activity change heart slows as does metabolism. I am not an expert, but It's a bit naive to think that the body functions exactly the same in a waking and sleeping state. I 'm happy to stand corrected by any coherent researched answers from reliable sources. I am not prepared to back down just cos somebody makes a loud noise.
    If you eat two hours before bed, most people will spend the rest of that time sitting and watching TV. Does that really burn a lot more calories than sleeping? I'll give you a few. But significantly?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

You are not a rat.
    Speak for yourself.