Let's talk running shoes!

Options

Replies

• bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I'm a mid-foot runner anyways, so it's easy for me to switch from regular shoes to the VFFs. I don't wear them on rocky trails or anywhere I'll be hauling *kitten* down hills. It's too painful on my feet to run hard with them (stone bruised). I haven't tried them off of the trails though. So your mileage may vary.

Do you find that objects are closer than they appear when you wear them? :laugh:
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I'm a mid-foot runner anyways, so it's easy for me to switch from regular shoes to the VFFs. I don't wear them on rocky trails or anywhere I'll be hauling *kitten* down hills. It's too painful on my feet to run hard with them (stone bruised). I haven't tried them off of the trails though. So your mileage may vary.

Do you find that objects are closer than they appear when you wear them? :laugh:

LOL....too funny!

I'm a mid foot runner too so if I were to try them out, it would likely be because I'm in the market to look cool...which of course, I'm never adverse to!
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Currently Brooks Adrenaline GTS 11s for the road, New Balance Minimus Trails for the trails, and Salomon Tech Amphibians for obstacle / mud races.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    My last three pairs of running shoes have all been Nikes - the newest ones are Nike Vomero which were the only ones I could find at the time that were wide enough to elimitate my neuroma pain. Running store folk aways want to put me in New Balance because they are a wider fit, but they just aren't right for me. I had one pair of NB a few years ago that made my toes numb and any others that I've tried on since haven't been right either.
    I need to get new shoes soon (will probably wait until the Christmas spending is over) and I'll go to a new running store to see what they can suggest. I bet I end up back in Nikes though!
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to get through my marathon training (race is Jan 8), recover a bit, and then maybe treat myself to a pair of Vibrams. My 6 year old niece is dying for me to get a pair - she thinks they're hilarious!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I'm fortunate in that the Saucony Grid Cohesion shoe has worked for me, it is one of the least expensive shoes made by them but fit my foot way better than the more expensive shoes. Right now I have 3 pairs of runners and on pair of trail runners; one of the pairs have been retired due to a growing "blow out".
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I really really would like to go minimalist and VFF but I am too nervous. I know it is supposed to strengthen your weakness, but like I said above, I have problems in neutral shoes and have no issues with my stability shoes.

Don't do it. Only a very small percentage of the population can run barefoot without issue. Ask any physical therapist, orthopedic surgeon...it is not for most, really it's for like .1% of the population. Stick with what you know, a lights stability shoe is you're best bet, that's what I run in. I see VFFs as a huge fad as well, I'm not about running fads...
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I really really would like to go minimalist and VFF but I am too nervous. I know it is supposed to strengthen your weakness, but like I said above, I have problems in neutral shoes and have no issues with my stability shoes.

Don't do it. Only a very small percentage of the population can run barefoot without issue. Ask any physical therapist, orthopedic surgeon...it is not for most, really it's for like .1% of the population. Stick with what you know, a lights stability shoe is you're best bet, that's what I run in. I see VFFs as a huge fad as well, I'm not about running fads...

Actually in the grand scheme of things, cushioned running shoes are a huge fad. For the previous couple million years before them, people ran in flats, sandals, and bare feet.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Depending on how far & where I plan to run I could have on any of the following shoes.

1. Saucony Kinvara
    2. Mizuno Wave Precision
    3. VFF Komodo Sport
    4. VFF KSO
    5. Nike Pegasus

My next purchase will probably be a "heavy duty" trail shoe. I give up trail running when the conditions get a lttle sloppy since all my shoes really don't handle mud real well.

I absolutely love my VFF's & the whole barefoot running. It is far from a fad, and if more people incorporated it sooner in life, I believe there would be far less running injuries later because more people would run with better form.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

Actually in the grand scheme of things, cushioned running shoes are a huge fad. For the previous couple million years before them, people ran in flats, sandals, and bare feet.

Ditto to Chucky's post! Cushioned shoes are such a crutch, which allow people to perfect poor running form and tear up their bodies harder and faster than if they had to run naturally.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Ditto to Chucky's post! Cushioned shoes are such a crutch, which allow people to perfect poor running form and tear up their bodies harder and faster than if they had to run naturally.

In my case, I don't believe the issue is my form. I am not a heel striker. My problem is more in the arch of my foot. I have always had problems with my feet, not just in running.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Funny enough I've tried the asics, vibrams, and the brooks..but the best I've found is the K-swiss tubes. It's crazy how comfortable they are and they feel better the longer you run in them. I saw reviews on them online and decided okay I'll give them a shot and I'm glad I did.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Drinking the "Born to Run" Kool-Aid?!

To each his or her own, but if you KNOW you have issues...talk to someone before you go try out and try barefoot running or minimalist. And yes I'm going to call it a fad, it is a fad because people "want to wear the finger shoes"... maybe people didn't wear them 2000 years ago, but wearing "cushioned" shoes isn't really the "cool" thing to do like VFFs. My shoes have minimal cushioning but still enough stability and none of them weighs more than 8 or 9 oz.

My problem also isn't my form, it's years of injuries from soccer and other sports - mainly I have no stability in my right foot due to stretched and torn ligaments and tendons. Surgery is an option, but not really a guarantee in the slightest. Pure Cadence are as minimalist as I am willing to go, and I'm still not quite there, need to strengthen my right side more in order to run in them (per my Physical Therapist's orders).
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I have flat feet. Wearing VFF's and Merrell pure gloves for the better part of 2 years gradually tore the crap out of my feet and hit breaking point this year. That doesn't mean others can't have fantastic success with minimalist running - they can - but not everyone does.

I now have heel spurs/pain in both feet and PF in my left foot. Walking barefoot is now agonizing. So... Yay? If you're wearing these shoes (and breaking them in gradually) and you're feeling pain, don't screw around. Go see a podiatrist.

Anywho, what do I wear now?

Mizuno Wave Inspire with custom insoles. Foot pain be banished.
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Right now, I am in a pair of New Balances.

I have an inside tip that I willbe getting a pair of Nike Pegasus for Christmas! (I bought them, lol...)
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I have the Brooks Pure Connect shoes. They're supposedly minimalist but they don't feel as "minimal" as others I tried on, if that makes sense! I do love them, though.
  • kkeys
    kkeys Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    thx for the post - i am about to purchase my first pair of "real" running shoes & i appreciate the input
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I have Asics. I never pay attention to the brand, just know they are grey, white and purple and I LOVE them! I used to use Reebok running shoes and they'd hurt my feet. I'd literally get foot cramps into my 2nd mile and now, I can run 8 miles with no issues.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Nike Free for anything over 7 miles, Terra Planna Vivo Barefoot for under 7 miles. Barefoot for 1 mile at a time.