T.H.E. Team April 24-30 - Week 12

Options

Replies

• stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Morning Team - today, I promise it will be a short post so I can go exercise. This exercise really cuts into my message board time! :laugh:

Nita, I remember when you fell off the tredmill, or rather it bucked you off. Its nice some things happen in the privacy of our own homes, isn't it?! :wink:

Sheila, good luck on that foot! When we talk about confusing our bodies, it always gives me a chuckle. I know its a sound exercise principle, but it just sounds funny to me. But, why should it, cuz my body confuses me all the time! :laugh:

Jamie, thats a good question about our activity level. When I first started, I listed me as sedentary, but that might not be so true any more. I don't remember exactly how MFP breaks things down - I am looking at another fitness program which breaks activity levels down like this:
    Sedentary - no physical activity at all
    Moderately Active - 20-30 minutes of exercise 2-3 times a week
    Active - 30+ minutes of organized physical activity 3-5 times a week
    Very Active - Vigerous physical activity for 60 minutes or more 5 or more times a week
    Athlete - twice daily heavy physical workouts for an hour or more.

I don't know how accurate that is, or how important it is to have that information. In any event, after we get into an exercise routine, it seems prudent to revise our information on MFP. I wonder what the experts like Banks or Songbyrdsweetie would say?

Everyone, have a good day!

Oh, almost forgot - I listed me as sedentary.
  • stillkristi
    Options
    Li4g - Nice hair:wink:

GetFit - I haven't talked to you in so long..hii!!

On the giving up coffee topic, I will be off of it for a while, and then go to like 3 cups a day...right now I have tea beside me:smile:

Hows it feel to be a woman of leisure?
  • stillkristi
    Options
    Jamie, your question about activity level made me think of a thread I wanted to review with some interesting information about activity levels. And, there were both the people I usually really pay attention to when they post: SHBoss and Songbyrdsweet. The topic was what kind of exercise and in what amounts, and the thread is called the Banks Plan. Songbyrdsweet had this to say:

quote:
    Hey Banks,

I love the plan and it's really nice of you to take the time to post something like that up for the new people.

But there are a couple things that I would suggest based on how the body adapts to exercise.

-Lifting one day a week, unfortunately, won't cause lasting adaptations. De-training occurs after about 3 days, so lifting once a week will give you 6 days of de-training. You won't garner any benefit because you won't be stressing your system frequently enough to cause neurological or physiological changes. It's akin to just running one day a week and not doing any other cardio. You won't be able to improve your time or oxygen consumption efficiency. Even beginners should lift 2-3 days per week. What changes in time is the duration and intensity, and then you can add days as well.

-The ACSM recommends that you actually perform 90 minutes of exercise 3-5 days per week to maintain, and only 60min 3-5 days per week to lose fat. So cutting way back on cardio really isn't necessary once you're at your goal. Plus, the same de-training occurs in cardiovascular activity, although not as quickly as resistance training. It's still important to get that aerobic training in 3-5 times a week to maintain your level of conditioning.

Granted, everyone works differently, but our bodies still follow the same blueprint, so these are guidelines that will work for beginners as well as highly trained individuals. endquote
  • indianagranny
    Options
    Morning Gang

Kristi - exercising does cut into computor time here too but hey it has to be done HAHA

LI4G - thanks for the tip on stretching before wogging. let's just say I didn't do it yesterday. feel it in my calfs(sp) but not that bad. so I stretch today. looking good in you pic - keep up the good work girl

Jamie - when my daughter set up my web page she marked me as lightly active - whatever because I walk at least fourteen miles anight at work for four days a week. she said my body is used to doing that so she figured it that way.

Lulu - I hope you are ok. Big trucks are no fun to get in and out of but like Anita says people get out of your way driving them

Thanks everyone for the tips on the sweeteners - Going to have to try this one that you all are mentioning.

Sheila - let us know what you find out

well I got in a little more wogging this morning - really kind of enjoying it. Want to say that the 5.7 pounds I had gained back in three days mysteriously is gone plus just a little more - that made me happy. I am pretty sure it was water due to sodium but it was not budging to go away so I paniced the numbers would just continue to rise.

off to bed for me girls - it has been a long morning. Try catching you all tonight. Have a good day
  • DWray44
    DWray44 Posts: 76
    Options
    LI4G- I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your hair!!!!! :heart: It looks fantastic!! I need to get a new picture of myself up, so everyone can see my blue doo! :laugh:

Lauri-That's flippin hilarious about you falling out of the truck!! That's totally something I would do, and have done before! :bigsmile: I'm extremely clutsy, so I feel your pain.

So, I went to the orthopaedic joint this morning, and as expected, it was so much fun! LOL
    Apparently, I've got some fluid on my knee and perhaps some tendonitis in the tendon holding my knee cap in place. So, I have to go on Friday to have an MRI done and have the fluid drained from my knee, so the doctor will know what I need to do next. I feel better after talking to him, at least he told me something!! I just want it to stop hurting so much, and stop swelling so I can do something other than water aerobics...that, and sit on the couch with some ice on it! :sad:

I really feel like a loser lately because I haven't been able to do as much physical activity(from the legs down anyway),and it's really bothering me. I've still been doing some strength training for my upper body, but just can't walk much or do the eliptical or anything like that. Don't mean to be a whiner, I'm just feeling down about it and am trying to stay positive, but it's hard.

Anyway, hope everyone has a great Wednesday!
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I listed myself as sedentary, based on how much activity I do during the day, which isn't like aerobics a few times a week, which is the list I read. I figured if I use more energy than I put it would be ok. I don't know if that's true anymore.

I had a bad experience last night. We ordered delivery pizza. I researched ahead of time and knew what I was going to eat, 1 piece of pizza, 1 serving of cheesesticks, well within my calories, etc. Well, I took one bite of pizza, and thought, huh, don't like this kind... and then my brain turned OFF. I ate 2 pieces of pizza and 2 servings of cheesesticks, went WAY over my calories, felt like crap physically, still do, in fact, had a stomach ache all night. What was up with that? I was shoving food in my mouth that I DIDN'T EVEN LIKE. I have no way to describe it except as an addict. I have over eaten before since I started this, especially when we hit this Thai place at the mall, but it's always been because I was ENJOYING the food so much, not just because it was there. I'm mad at myself, because what a dumb thing to do! I could have had 2 servings of cheesesticks instead of the pizza and been well within my numbers, no harm no foul, but why did I eat the pizza that I didn't even like??

I find it so odd that my brain turned off with the pizza, when I have a giant size Hershey's bar in my freezer, that used to be my destressor, I'd eat a square - or 10 - when I needed to destress. It's been in there for over 4 months unopened. And I"m not tempted.

Well that's the last delivery pizza I"m eating, we'll stick to take n bake from now on. So I'm a bit down today, physically and emotionally, my migraine seems to be coming back, but I"m on my way to the dr and will get a prescription since I seem to be having them more and more regularly. (not due to aspertame or caffeine, but because of eye strain... long story but I'm going basically blind over a long period of time, and reading and even at my computer now is starting to strain my eyes and give me headaches. grrr... and i love to read and love to be at my computer... time for large print books!)
  • AJWaddlesOn
    Options
    Good mornin' All! It was good to check up on everyone this AM since I didn't check in yesterday - it was a rotten day. I worked a 15 hr night shift (5p-8a) on Monday and it completely through my Tues off. I started off good and with good intentions and then it just slowly went down hill as the day went on. Ate too many cals and avoided the eliptical. Indiana, I don't know how you do it girl! I worked nights in the hospital for years but I just don't do well with them anymore. I think it makes it worse that I don't have a set shift so one day could be nights and others I'm up at 5a like today. But today is a new day and I will try again!

Lulu-I can completely relate to the falling out of the truck story. My hubby and I had a rep for a security system over to install and teach us about our new system. She was a young, petite little thing and looked like she was about 12yo. I sat on the floor next to the coffee table while she went over the paperwork with us. When I stood up, both of my legs had fallen asleep and when I went to take a step, I fell flat on the floor. Couldn't even brake my fall! My DH and I laughed SO hard the tears were rolling but this poor little good looked horrified! Thank goodnes for a sense of humor!!

LI4G- your hair is adorable! Sassy!

Nitag and Chanty - I cannot give up my AM coffee with fat free creamer either but my true ADDICTION is iced tea. I am not exaggerating when I say I can drink a gallon a day. Funny that when I couldn't sleep at night and had headaches I couldn't put 2 and 2 together until my hubby brought it to my attention! I now drink decaf and dilute so that it is barely tan in color. I'm thinkin of switching to green tea.

Swignal - good luck today at the Dr appt!!

D~ so glad you posted this AM. Was thinking of you and your appt. I am proud of you for seeking out another dr when you weren't getting any answers. Now you have a plan and can deal with it! Don't get down about not being able to be as active as you want to be right now. It will come. Do what you can. It is better to take it slow vs causing more damage and pain.

Have a great day everyone. Will check in later. Waddle on!
  • AJWaddlesOn
    Options
    I listed myself as sedentary, based on how much activity I do during the day, which isn't like aerobics a few times a week, which is the list I read. I figured if I use more energy than I put it would be ok. I don't know if that's true anymore.

I had a bad experience last night. We ordered delivery pizza. I researched ahead of time and knew what I was going to eat, 1 piece of pizza, 1 serving of cheesesticks, well within my calories, etc. Well, I took one bite of pizza, and thought, huh, don't like this kind... and then my brain turned OFF. I ate 2 pieces of pizza and 2 servings of cheesesticks, went WAY over my calories, felt like crap physically, still do, in fact, had a stomach ache all night. What was up with that? I was shoving food in my mouth that I DIDN'T EVEN LIKE. I have no way to describe it except as an addict. I have over eaten before since I started this, especially when we hit this Thai place at the mall, but it's always been because I was ENJOYING the food so much, not just because it was there. I'm mad at myself, because what a dumb thing to do! I could have had 2 servings of cheesesticks instead of the pizza and been well within my numbers, no harm no foul, but why did I eat the pizza that I didn't even like??

I find it so odd that my brain turned off with the pizza, when I have a giant size Hershey's bar in my freezer, that used to be my destressor, I'd eat a square - or 10 - when I needed to destress. It's been in there for over 4 months unopened. And I"m not tempted.

Well that's the last delivery pizza I"m eating, we'll stick to take n bake from now on. So I'm a bit down today, physically and emotionally, my migraine seems to be coming back, but I"m on my way to the dr and will get a prescription since I seem to be having them more and more regularly. (not due to aspertame or caffeine, but because of eye strain... long story but I'm going basically blind over a long period of time, and reading and even at my computer now is starting to strain my eyes and give me headaches. grrr... and i love to read and love to be at my computer... time for large print books!)

Adopt4- let's just chalk yesterday up as a terrible Tues and forget about it. I know how you feel though. I am mind boggled most of the time about my mindless eating. Esp when I don't even like what I am putting in my mouth! But we have to cont to learn how not to beat ourselves up for being human. Before having the Team I would have told myself I had failed again as expected and went back to old habits cause what's the use anyway. Not today! It's a new day for all of us! Just remember to give yourself credit for the effort!
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Dwray ~ Sorry about the knee and the proceedures you're facing:flowerforyou: I know it stinks when you want to exercise and feel like you can't, but don't be down. First, just staying within your calories and eating healthy will produce weight loss - don't forget that. It's not like, just because you can't exercise you won't lose weight - you can still lose. Also, there are all sorts of exercises that don't cause particular strain - look on You Tube for different types. I have found lots of things to do even when my arthritis is killing me - especially things with resistance bands. Granted, these guys and gals that can get hard core into aerobics are losing a lot more quickly than I am, but I am still losing nonetheless and becoming stronger, and in the end, that's what we all want. Be strong, don't get discouraged ~ we are all here, each doing this in our own way and working around all the obstacles we are faced with. Stay the course!!!

Adopt4 - Speaking of obstacles we are faced with - Sometimes we are the ones that place the obstacles in our own way - and then kick ourselves for doing it:grumble: I'm kicking you with my padded slippers - Next time you want pizza, try this:

Wester Bagel Alternative Pita - 110 cals.
    Newman's Own Organic Marinara 1/3 cup - 35 cals.
    Target Market Pantry - Italian Style 6 Cheese Blend, 1/3 cup - 90 cals.
    Cheese - Feta, 1/16 cup, (fingertip full) crumbled - 25 cals.
    Tomatoes - Roma Tomato, 0.3 Tomato - 9 cals.
    Onions - Raw, 1 slice, thin - 4 cals.
    4-5 spinach leaves
    Tyson pre-cooked chicken strips or italian seasoned ground turkey

The whole thing is anywhere from 240 to 300 calories and they are fantastic!!! I have it for lunch pretty frequently - and the other night my kids were here and I just put all the toppings in bowls and everyone built their own - Everybody loved it! Your boys would have fun building their own too, I bet:bigsmile: Also, on the vision thing - my mom is losing her eyesight due to MS - we got her a magnifier screen for her computer - she loves it - just fyi that they exist- Sorry for your headaches:cry: Be better:flowerforyou:

But on the eating anyway, when it's not even really appealing - I have no clue what that's about. I've done it many times - and worse, then I'm not even satisfied and so I'm still craving something afterward!!!!!!!!!! I hate that alot! If you figure it out, share the secret - I've got a feeling it would help a ton of people!

Kristi - you are my sister. I didn't know how to just come out and tell you, so I'm glad you figured it out.:bigsmile:

Jamie - I started as sedentary, then changed to mildly active I think....
  • lulubar
    Options

Lulu-I can completely relate to the falling out of the truck story. My hubby and I had a rep for a security system over to install and teach us about our new system. She was a young, petite little thing and looked like she was about 12yo. I sat on the floor next to the coffee table while she went over the paperwork with us. When I stood up, both of my legs had fallen asleep and when I went to take a step, I fell flat on the floor. Couldn't even brake my fall! My DH and I laughed SO hard the tears were rolling but this poor little good looked horrified! Thank goodnes for a sense of humor!!

Bwaaahahahahha - that's a great story! I think I must have a really sick sense of humor!:laugh: That's what I kept laughing at when I was in the store - it wasn't so much that I fell out of the truck - it was the reactions of the people who saw me! Still makes me laugh to think about it:laugh: :laugh:

I do decaf now too, and I really like green tea with stevia, mmmmmmm. I don't really have anything against caffiene, just felt like if I was cleaning out my body, that was another corner that needed dusting:tongue:
  • AJWaddlesOn
    Options
    Lulu- You are my kinda girl!! I don't know about anyone else but when I read your posts I hear Paula Dean in my head. I LOVE it!:laugh:

I am not a sweet tea drinker but I wish I could find big jugs of tea like you can sweet tea.
  • nitag
    nitag Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I changed my activity level to moderate active, I think thats what it's called.. I don't consider myself sedentary anymore because I am working out 6 days a week.. I do have a desk job and sit on my behind for a good part of the day but lately I have been finding myself up and moving around.. Going outside when its slow ect....
  • AJWaddlesOn
    Options
    LI4G- I took your advise about the "lipti" (doesn't seem so daunting if you give it a cute name!:tongue: ) and I did 9 min this AM!! Yeah for me! Definitey had noodle legs when I was done:laugh: . I may even try to do another 7-9min tonight! Thanks for the encouragement!!
  • stillkristi
    Options
    Ok, last post before work. Can I just whine a little? My new exercise routine is kicking my butt! :sad: Get_fit, I have that shakey thing going because of my shoulders. Like you said, its a good thing, but holy doughunts! I can't help but think what am I going to do tomorrow? Prolly roll around and whimper.

Lulu, thanks for the pizza fix substitute. It sounds fantastic! Sometimes at night, I cry about pizza. :laugh: I have never heard of Wester Bagel Alternative Pita, so I must go on the hunt. I think you should post this in the receipe section.

And, AJ, so glad you are back today. I wondered about you yesterday. I am going to borrow one of lulu's padded slippers and say, "Maybe the days we don't feel like posting are the days we need to be here the most. I can't help but think if I had been holding myself accountable and posting about what was really going on during my 8 day feeding frenzy, it would not have lasted so long, or set me back like it did. Oh, wait, I don't need a slipper, lulu, I have another idea. AJ, stick around! penguins1.gif

So, cindyee, where are you today my friend, and renyab and hmm.. you all know who you are! :happy:

Well, I'm off to shower for work, if I can raise my arms that high. Love ya! :bigsmile:

Lulu, you got that slipper thing from mom, didn't you! :grumble: :wink:
  • AJWaddlesOn
    Options
    Kristi- ok. I get it! :wink: LOVE the penguins!! That's me - Waddlin on! Was inspired by the image after reading "The Courage to Start" by John Bingham. Not sure my vision included being whopped in the back of the head - but I needed it!

Jamie- SO sedentary - but not for long!
  • lulubar
    Options
    Oommmmmm! I saw her whack you in the head AJ!

Kristi - WOW! Great work out - obviously, you make me proud!!!

www.westernbagel.com - check it out. Renayeb - you will be very happy to know that they make a 110 calorie bagel - delish! They have the bagels, the pita and an alternative english muffin. All really, really good and they have really high fiber content too.

pauladean.jpg
    Well, I'm built like her, but with bigger ta-tas:laugh: I WISH I could cook like her. But what's funny is that I do have an accent alot like hers - so you're not far off target - I am a southern girl with a Texas accent so, there ya have it. Thanks to AJ my secret identity is out!!
  • cyndeebee
    cyndeebee Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Better late than never, eh Kristi?
    Here I am...
    I've been catching up on things I needed to do around the house, so I did the big taboo...and skipped meals. (Except for coffee...oops)
    I was thinking about the pizza binge, and I can relate. I can do well with my food all day, but as soon as I get close to bedtime, I'm s-t-a-r-v-i-n-g...
    Not really, but my mind says that I am. And then my brain shuts off, my mouth takes over.
    Last night, I made a sandwich at 11 p.m. I'd already tallied up my calories and I was slightly under.
    But the stupid sandwich put me over. :cry:
    I'd heard a theory about the "mindless eating" that kind of makes sense, at least for me.
    It's the CARB addiction. When I say it makes sense for me, it's because I inevitably reach for something with carbs. Supposedly, the cure is to gradually cut your carbs way back, because when you indulge in a carb, it's short-term relief, and you'll definitely be wanting MORE within a few hours.

With fibromyalgia, someone suggested that I try to go gluten-free. (Longest three weeks of my life. Everything tasty has gluten...)
    I must admit that I felt worlds better when I eliminated gluten. But I ditched the effort when I couldn't find enough "substitute" gluten products in my small town area.
    (Have you ever had rice bread? Don't...)
    Anyway, I resolved to at least cut way back on gluten products, but I see myself inching my way back up to where I was before...
    And I feel worse.
    And I'm eating before bed.

Opinions? Does this carb addiction theory make any sense?
  • nitag
    nitag Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    <
    me and my Maltese Oliver......
  • chantybear
    chantybear Posts: 343
    Options
    Li4g - Nice hair:wink:

GetFit - I haven't talked to you in so long..hii!!

On the giving up coffee topic, I will be off of it for a while, and then go to like 3 cups a day...right now I have tea beside me:smile:

Hows it feel to be a woman of leisure?

Kind of boring...today my day centered around taking the car into get serviced, but I went to the gym in that time so that was good.

Lulu - Those bagels are good, when ever we do a day trip to the states I grab a couple bags.:smile:
  • chantybear
    chantybear Posts: 343
    Options
    OH, yay I weighed myself at the gym today, to see if the doctor's scale was right, and it said 133! Since I have been using the gym scale all along I am soo believing it..(of course not for any other reason:tongue: ). It is a relief to know I didn't gain 6 pounds so freaking fast!:smile: