Really? You must be joking O_O

Options
judith3
judith3 Posts: 296 Member
Ok so idk but something that really bothers me as someone who is overweight and i have to work really hard to loose some weight is when people who are thin complain about being fat. Like today my 00size coworker said and i quote "omg i need to start working out im getting such a big belly roll i look like an elephant its so gross" the whole time im thinking are you Fu**ing kidding me if you think you look gross and like an elephant i dont even wanna know what you think when you look at me. I have alot of thin friends so i hear this kind of thing alot and its very annoying.

Replies

• rochey1098
    Options
    It's attention seeking. Some people say the opposite of what they want to hear in an effort to get you to say what they want to hear. My ex-girlfriend used to do this far too much... hence the ex part.
  • MîîśÊmÿłõü
    MîîśÊmÿłõü Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    ^^^agreed major attention seeker...but yes how farkin annoying!
    swear some people have no idea...
  • gunmetalsunrise
    Options
    The media tries to convince us that we are never skinny enough. Unless we look like models on a runway, we are not skinny enough. (And then the industry convinces the models themselves that THEY arn't skinny enough.) So yeah, she could be seeking for attention, but I think it's even sadder if she actually believes it, and she actually might.
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I don't think its always attention seeking my nan has been thin her whole life and recently has gained the most minuscule amount of stomach fat but because she's never had it before to her its a massive deal. The rest of us all wonder what she's on about but as I said its not what she's used to.

Then their are attention seekers too but not everyone is.
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    They just want to hear "No, you're not..."
    I hope I don't give that impression to people, but I am working hard even though I'm not really big, I'm bigger than I should be.
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    You have some pretty rude friends I'd say so. Perhaps you should tell them why it is rude and maybe they will stop. If not then I'd just say ya you are getting pretty fat.
  • Samantha1941
    Samantha1941 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh yes thats so annoying. I used to have skinny, skinny friends who would complain that they are fat or a picture they took was bad, when it was so untrue. Thats them wanting you to say "Oh my gosh no! You are so skinny!" Or "No way! You are so pretty in that picture!" It justs gives them a boost to their already huge ego. I dropped those friends quick :D They were fake :)

Back then I would fall for it and give them exactly what they wanted. Nowadays I would totally say "Oh shut your mouth or shove a donut in it. No-one cares" Although they might get offended by that. Hm,...

:)
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    When I was at my skinniest - which was quite thin - I was my own worst enemy. I thought I was huge, I hated myself and my "pot belly" :/

Don't call her an attention seeker or anything like that - you don't know her story.
  • rochey1098
    Options
    You have some pretty rude friends I'd say so. Perhaps you should tell them why it is rude and maybe they will stop. If not then I'd just say ya you are getting pretty fat.

I was in a bad mood until I read the end of this post. Now I'm chuckling like Santa at a comedy festival. Thanks for that :laugh:
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I don't think its always attention seeking my nan has been thin her whole life and recently has gained the most minuscule amount of stomach fat but because she's never had it before to her its a massive deal. The rest of us all wonder what she's on about but as I said its not what she's used to.

Then there are attention seekers too but not everyone is.

I agree with this. My cousin is very small, and always has been. She's up to like a size 3 now and complains of being fat. For her, that is "fat". She's out of shape and larger than she is used to being.

To the OP: I imagine that somewhere out there is a woman who thinks being your size is nothing to complain about either.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options

Then there are attention seekers too but not everyone is.

I agree with this. My cousin is very small, and always has been. She's up to like a size 3 now and complains of being fat. For her, that is "fat". She's out of shape and larger than she is used to being.

To the OP: I wouldn't assume that your friend looks at you with disgust. Most people spend immense amounts of time loathing themselves, not other people. And I imagine that somewhere out there are women who think being your size is nothing to complain about either.
  • DWilbanks
    DWilbanks Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I guess i don't think like everyone else. Some people have low self esteem and this could be actually how he/she feels. Also, let's not forget that some could be bullimic or anorexic and such. You never know until you walk a mile in the other person's shoes to know what is going on in their head. Attention seeking, maybe... but maybe not.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    My one friend is really skinny. Recently she went from a size 0 to a 6. Honestly I didn't notice it, she looked the same to me, but she felt awful in her "new body" and would complain about it. I would call her out on it and she explained it nicely, saying that it doesn't matter what size you are, if you are bigger than what you're used to then of course you will think you're fat and complain about it.
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I agree that is more than likely self esteem issues.

Every woman (I started to say every"one" but I can't generalize about men as confidently) has issues with her body. No matter what size. I am struggling with this right now. I have lost over 20 pounds...briefly met my initial goal...and have bought multiple units of new clothes in size 4. Yet, I see the cellulite, flabby belly skin, prominent hips, etc. When I started my weight loss journey I expected I'd be in nirvana right now. Obviously, the issue is deeper than that layer of fat I have lost. Same with "skinny" people.
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Ok so idk but something that really bothers me as someone who is overweight and i have to work really hard to loose some weight is when people who are thin complain about being fat. Like today my 00size coworker said and i quote "omg i need to start working out im getting such a big belly roll i look like an elephant its so gross" the whole time im thinking are you Fu**ing kidding me if you think you look gross and like an elephant i dont even wanna know what you think when you look at me. I have alot of thin friends so i hear this kind of thing alot and its very annoying.

I agree-totally annoying. I would respond with, "Yeah, I have noticed you looked like you were gaining weight"
    That should shut her up, haha.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My body image has NOTHING to do with you.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

It's rude to think of yourself that you're not happy in your own body just because someone else "wishes" she was your size?

I think it's rude to not allow people to have their own feelings.
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Skinny fat does actualy exist. Honestly, I'd rather be FAT than Skinny Fat. Skinny fat looks worst to me. Maybe she thinks the same way. Also, some people are really more critical of themselves. She may think you look fine the way you are. Actually her image of you may be better than that of her own. You cannot tell how someone percieves themselves.

My advice to you is STAY CONFIDENT, WORK HARD, and Don't worry about what others think. You are doing this for you. You want to look in the mirror and see a sexy you. If anything, encourage the girl.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

It's rude to think of yourself that you're not happy in your own body just because someone else "wishes" she was your size?

I think it's rude to not allow people to have their own feelings.
    It is rude to call your 3 pounds of fat "gross" when talking to someone who is overweight. You can FEEL whatever you want, but you don't have to blab about it.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    You know, you don't have to be overweight or obese to not be satisfied with your body...
    Some people now call me skinny, but until I'm not "bobyduilder" lean (7-9% body fat) I am not satisfied.