Still fit and fabulous after baby--December 2011 (Cont from

Options
This board is for the new moms from the Fit, Fabulous, and Pregnant board!

If you are pregnant and ready to stay fit and fabulous...please join our sister board:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/410033-fit-fabulous-and-pregnant-december-2011

This is a place where we can support each other after becoming new mommies. After having done everything you could to stay healthy during your pregnancy, now it is time to get back into the groove and supporting each other on our journey to an even better prepregnancy body!

Replies

• heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Since all the girls on the pregnancy board did a "get to know you" survey...I figure we mine as well too :)

Name: Heather
    Partner: Husband Al
    Career: RN, BSN....stay at home mommy now :)
    Where you are from: Missouri
    All about baby: Charlee (Charlotte Kendall) born November 16th, 2011
    Prepreg weight: 146lbs
    Height: 5' 6.5"
    Goal Weight: 138-142lbs
    lbs to lose as of now: 2 weeks post baby and 17-20lbs to lose
    Game plan to reach goal: Slowly get back into working out by walking on the treadmill/getting on the Spinning bike (when baby allows it) and Tracy Anderson Method. I will start logging my food the beginning of January so I can enjoy the holiday season/allow my milk supply to be strong before I start eating lower calories. I'm thinking about asking for Turbo Fire for my birthday as well. I LOVE cardio kickboxing and miss taking classes!
    Fun Fact about yourself: It took me over 7 years to conceive Charlee...and after several losses she is here and every single day I sing "Isn't she Lovely" to her and get teary eyed just thinking about how much I love her and how special she is :)
  • smilegirl
    smilegirl Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Yay! The after baby board starts!

Name: Holly
    Partner: Husband Nathan
    Career: Registered Dental Hygienist
    Where you are from: Washington
    All about baby: Ellie Olivia born September 7th, 2011
    Prepreg weight: 148lbs
    Height: 5' 7"
    Goal Weight: 142-148lbs
    lbs to lose as of now: I'm at 151, so between 3-9
    Game plan to reach goal: I have been back to running since being cleared from my non-planned c-section. Adding a fourth run this week for 14-15 miles. Need to start Tracy Anderson Method for toning!!, but realistically that probably won't happen until after the holidays. I would like to bump my running mileage in two more weeks. Doing abs, arms and strength training 4 days a week, plus daily walks with my first babies (two dogs!)
    Fun Fact about yourself: I love the mornings! I miss not hitting the road to run at 5a now (Ellie is calling the shots these days!), but absolutely love to wake up early when the world is so quiet and peaceful.
  • MidniteDayDream
    MidniteDayDream Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Lurking! Just cause I wanna keep up with you ladies. :drinker:
  • smilegirl
    Options
    Oh and forgot to mention in my plan to reach my goals - healthy, clean eating (80-85% of the time - you have to live a little!) I am a firm believer that what you put in your body has a huge affect on how you feel. When I fuel my body with nutritious, whole foods I have tons of energy and feel great. When I eat too much junk I feel like a slug.
  • abeare
    abeare Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Lurking until it’s my time to join. Best of luck with your goals everyone!
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies. Keep up the good work and enjoy those babies!

-Ashley
    32 weeks
  • nkster781
    nkster781 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Hopefully I'll be joining you guys this month. Hannah's due Dec 19th:0) Can't wait!
  • smilegirl
    Options
    Cindy, Ash, Ashley and Nichole - looking forward to you all joining us!

Today will be a four mile run for Ellie and I and a walk with the dogs. Then we head to our annual Girls Shopping Weekend, which my mom and her girlfriends started over 20 years ago. It's just time for catching up, Christmas shopping and enjoying the city at the holidays.

Hope everyone has a great, healthy weekend!
  • jchecca
    jchecca Posts: 131
    Options
    i will definitely be lurking on this board too until i can join!!!! keep up the good work ladies and congrats on your beautiful baby girls!! :flowerforyou:
  • Raynamama
    Raynamama Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are going to have quite a few lurkers on here! (me included! lol) So happy for all of you ladies and your new babies! 12 more weeks for me - can't wait to join in, I'll definitely be keeping up with this thread to learn as much as I can from you new mommies!

One question (just curious) - I'm just wondering how breastfeeding is going for those of you who are doing it? Any tips you'd like to share would be great! I really want to breastfeed and I just ordered a book online to learn as much as I can to make sure I'm successful - anyway just wondering how it's going for you ladies :smile:

Happy Friday all! :flowerforyou:
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    This is so awsome!! Not too much longer and a lot of us from the sister board will be joining. This will be such a great way to stay motivated and lose the pregnancy pounds plus some! Congrats again to you new mommies. Good luck with all your goals and enjoy those babies as much as possible.....they grow so fast!!!!!
  • Kalee34
    Kalee34 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Hey Heather and Holly!! I'm glad I found you guys.

Name: Kalee
    Partner: Husband Joshua
    Career: Stay at Home Mom to 5
    Where I'm From: Opelika, AL
    About baby: Kallon Jericho born November 6th, 9 lbs 2 oz, 21 in
    Prepregnancy weight: 130
    Height: 5'6"
    Goal Weight: 127
    pounds to lose: 25
    Game plan to lose weight: Eating right, counting calories, pilates & walking.
    Fun fact: I coach Highschool volleyball!!
  • blessdmomof4
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I was on the other board at the beginning of my pregnancy but just couldn't keep up w/ the posts during our busy summer. Looking for some motivation and support to lose these post baby lbs and just general baby discussion so hopefully I'll be better about keeping up!

Everything is going great with the baby so far. She is happy and healthy and gaining weight at a good clip. Our only issue is a terrible diaper rash. I had planned to cloth diaper exclusively after the first week or 2 (didn't want extra laundry right away!) but every time she spends a day in cloth she gets an AWFUL rash. Tried a few different creams and added a fleece liner to her cloth diapers to keep moisture away but still the rash persists. It is easier to get rid of when she is in disposables but still takes a few days of lots of cream and constant changing. I am taking dairy out of my diet to see if that helps and being more careful to have less acidic fruits and tomatoes. Today is day 2 of no dairy and I am missing cheese and yogurt terribly. It is going to be hard to get enough protein w/o the dairy. Any protein suggestions?

Name: Melissa
    Husband: Jason
    Career: Homeschooling mom
    Where you are from: MA
    All about baby: Amelia Joy- born 11-10-11, 8lbs 11oz, 20.5 inches
    Other kiddos: Isabella 10, Isaac 7 (8 in a week!!) and Ian 6
    Prepreg weight: 175 (when I got pregnant, best mfp weight was 170)
    Height: 5' 8"
    Goal Weight: 160
    lbs to lose as of now: 3weeks post baby and 17lbs to get to prebaby weight, 32lbs to get to goal weight
    Game plan to reach goal: I am planning to start after my holidays w/ a toning video at home b/c getting to the gym will be out of the question for awhile. As soon as the weather breaks I plan to work my way back to jogging 4 or 5 times a week. I am Matron of Honor in my sisters wedding in August so I have a lot of work to do before then and I really want buff arms :)

Fun Fact about yourself: I thought I was done having babies (couldn't make the "final" decision but was pretty sure we were done) but last year in March my older kids and I were listening to a book on tape called Tia Lola. In the story, Tia Lola explains what the Dominican word napa (this n should have that little spanish ~ over it) means. She describes it as getting an extra bonus that you didn't expect, like when the baker throws in an extra muffin, or you get a special surprise present after the holidays are over. I suddenly knew as we listened to that tape that I was pregnant and we were being blessed with a little napa. I took a test that night (no other signs of pregnancy except being 2 days late but that wasn't abnormal) and indeed we were expecting!! Little Amelia Joy is our little napa; our extra blessing and I simply can't tell you how happy I am to have been blessed with another baby!!! We all agree that we didn't realize it but we had a place in our hearts just waiting to be filled with Amelia Joy and can't imagine life without her now!
  • rosannabarbaroflores
    Options
    Totally lurking!
    I love hearing about how all the mommas and their babies are doing!
    Expect me to lurk A LOT.

blessedmomof3: I plan to cloth diaper as well and my understanding was that babies that were cloth diapered had less occurrence of diaper rash. Can I ask what detergent you are using? And what type of rash cream? My understanding is that anything with zinc oxide causes cloth diapers to become less absorbent. And with regards to detergents, not everything that states 'free and clear' is really. Maybe I can help trouble shoot based on the class I took...?

Rosanna
    34weeks, 3days
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! So happy that the board is up and running and already has lots of posts! YAY!

Rayna breastfeeding was a little rough in the beginning...tmi but I don't have large nipples and therefore Charlee had a hard time latching. It was really painful in the beginning. The nurses in the hospital were AWESOME with helping out...and without them I probably would have gotten so frustrated and given up thinking it wasn't possible. But I started using a breast shield at first and eventually things came together and now we don't have to use the shield and Charlee latches wonderfully. It is still a little uncomfortable when she thinks she is starving to death....I call her my little piranha lol. The other resource that I found very helpful was the lactation consultant. If one doesn't come to see you in the hospital, I'd ask if one is available to talk to and to watch you and help if needed. The lactation consultant at the hospital I delivered at came in twice to check on me. She sat and talked to me for over an hour and gave me her number and then even called me 3 days later at home to check on Charlee and me. What a wonderful resource! I also read "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" by the Le Leche League. They are a little radical when it comes to breastfeeding...but there is so much great information in that book.

Melissa what a wonderful story. I love that...little napa :)

Holly I totally agree about putting in food to fuel my body. I splurge a little here and there to get some extra calories, but I've already found myself eating how I was before getting pregnant (minus some of my favorite foods cause it seems to bother Charlee's tummy like lots of veggies, dairy, lots of eggs, etc.). I'm so glad things are going great for you and Ellie. Have you gone back to work yet?

Today has been a little rough...Charlee isn't feeling too well. She isn't running a fever, but I can tell her belly is bothering her and she has the sniffles. Being a Pediatric RN my biggest fear is for my baby to get sick.... She has been extra fussy today, which isn't like her. So I've just been spending the day tending to her. I made an attempt to get on the treadmill yesterday, but after 10 minutes Charlee woke up and decided she was starving to death! Oh well...10 minutes is better than nothing right?! I have every confidence that I will get into my workout groove...for now I'm just trying to do the best I can. Holly said it best...baby has the last say these days! lol Besides that it is a cold, dreary day....winter is definitely here and I can't wait until Spring where I can take Charlee outside for walks.

I hope you ladies are having an awesome day!
  • AmyMooreOrLess
    AmyMooreOrLess Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Ladies with babies and Lurkers! Love it! Glad I found the thread I knew Heather would start up for us. Thank you!

Sure love to read your posts (usually in my down time of nursing Annie before bed). I've still been lurking on the pregnancy boards here and there, too. Just no time to post! (My fun fact as of now: Both babes are actually taking a late afternoon nap at the same time!)

On to the survey:

Name: Amy
    Husband: Tyler
    Career: 911 Dispatcher, currently on one year Mat. Leave
    Where you are from: Vancouver, BC, Canada
    All about baby: Annie Lucille. Born September 13th, 2011, 8lbs 8oz, 21 inches
    Other kiddos: Colby Thomas. Born April 29th, 2010, 8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/4 inches
    Pre-Preg Weight (#2): 158
    Pre-Preg Weight (#1): 155
    Height: 5' 7"
    Goal Weight: 147-150
    lbs to lose as of now: 7-11
    Game plan to reach goal: I get out and double-stroller power incline walk any day there's no rain. In addition to that I do 5-6 days a week of toning, abs and cardio. I'm finishing up my 6th week of Lindsay Brin's 60 Day Slim Down. Less than 3 weeks to go! I've lost 11 pounds and quite a few inches off waist, hips and thighs. My abs are finally looking defined as are my arms. I'm finally in most of my size 6 jeans. Just have one pair of True Religions, Size 28 I want to get into (wore them the night before I got married in Jan. 2009). When the Slim Down wraps up I intend on continuing with Lindsay's DVD's and adding some Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred (they have similar styles, will just keep it varied. Besides, 25 minute workouts are about all I have time for most days if I plan on showering before nap ends, too!).

Fun Fact about yourself: By then end of 2011 I fully indend on saying I've gained and LOST 90 pounds in the last two years (with two babies to show for it). Four more pounds and I can say that! Nice to know it's happening a lot quicker this time around (thanks to MFP). It took me 5 months to lose the weight the first time around. This time it shouldn't be any longer than 3 months.
  • Kalee34
    Kalee34 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Heather, I am so with you on the rough day. Last night and today, Kallon has not been himself. He has congestion and he acts like his tummy is hurting him. Neither one of us got much sleep last night and he would not take a good nap today either. Finally this afternoon around 2:30 he laid down for a 2 hour nap. It's so hard when their this young and can't tell you what is wrong, you just feel helpless.

Melissa, my last baby had a problem with a bad diaper rash, I changed diaper brands several times until a nurse friend of mine looked at it and told me she thought it was yeast. I took him to our pediatrician and he gave me a special cream to put on him for yeast.
  • smilegirl
    Options
    Melissa, excited to see you again! Congratulations on Amelia Joy, she's beautiful! I don't have any great advice on the diaper rash, but wonder if it could be yeast? I thought Ellie had a rash in the first few weeks and my sister looked at it and said "looks yeasty to me". Now my brain is having a hard time remembering what cream the doctor had me use (it was OTC) but it cleared it up in two days and we haven't had any rash issues since.

Kalee, happy to see you too. Poor Kallon, I hope he starts feeling better. It's so stressful when we don't know what would make them feel the best. Hopefully you can both get some rest.

Amy, I can't believe it's been almost a year now since we met here. Our little ladies we just little poppyseeds back then. I'm happily back in all my size 6 jeans too. Actually had to put a belt on today to keep this pair from falling down :-) Now if I can just get my totally defined tummy back I'll be super happy.

Rayna, I agree with Heather in regards to breastfeeding. As natural of a thing that it is, it is incredibly challenging in the early days and I totally understand why some people give up. For me breastfeeding was a non-negotiable thing so I knew I was going to do whatever it took to make it happen. The hospital where I delivered is well known for being strong supporters of breastfeeding so lactation consultations are a normal part of your hospital stay (they also do post-partum check ups and have a 24 hour help line if you need it). I also had AWESOME nurses throughout my hospital visit - I found that they all have a little different type of technique so it's helpful to get assistance from all that you meet. My sister is also a NICU RN so she was a GIGANTIC help to me. I have to admit that after the first 48 hours both Ellie and I figured out what was going on and breastfeeding was pretty smooth sailing after that - my milk came in before I ever left the hospital and unlike Heather I did not have any discomfort to deal with. If you are planning to use a Boppy or some sort of breastfeeding pillow, I would suggest taking it to the hospital/birthing center with you so that you can get comfortable with it for positioning. I have also heard that Le Leche Leauge is a little radical, but an excellent resource. The best advice I can probably give is to be patient with yourself and Mason, it may take a little bit, but you can do it!

Heather, sorry to hear Charlee is a little under the weather. I too have such a fear of the first big cold or fever. Have you seen the nose Frida?? Ellie and I are doing great. We have a fantastic bedtime routine and she is sleeping wonderfully, I believe I am really spoiled! Don't worry too much about the short workouts at this point. Remember that I had to wait six weeks before I could get back to it and that probably made it a little easier since we had a little more time to just bond and figure each other out before I started exercising again. A word of advice too - Ellie almost always needs to nurse shortly after we return from a run. She seems a bit sensitive to my sweaty body - I try to shower first, but have since started making the feeding after a run a bottle feeding. I am not back to work yet. January is when I have to return :-( I am already starting to dread it......I don't know if you remember, but I've been not so happy with the new doctor that purchased the practice where I work and it's a 20 mile commute. I started shopping my resume around this week and already have an interview with an office 1.5 miles from my house! Pray for me that it works out as being much closer to home and being in a better environment will make it easier to leave my precious bambina.

Here's a great blog if any of you are interested - www.seattlemamadoc.org. Dr. Swanson has some great information and is entertaining too.

Happy weekend to everyone. Big hugs and kisses to all the beautiful babes!

Holly
  • blessdmomof4
    Options
    I plan to cloth diaper as well and my understanding was that babies that were cloth diapered had less occurrence of diaper rash. Can I ask what detergent you are using? And what type of rash cream? My understanding is that anything with zinc oxide causes cloth diapers to become less absorbent. And with regards to detergents, not everything that states 'free and clear' is really. Maybe I can help trouble shoot based on the class I took...?

Rosanna
    34weeks, 3days
    [/quote]

Hi Rosanna,
    I am using my own detergent made of washing soda, borax and oxi clean. I also used a sample of Rockin' Green and a sample of Country Save. I haven't been using rash ointment w/ the cloth but I did by California Baby which is suppose to be a cloth safe ointment. In disposables I have been using Burts Bee's. If she is in cloth I am using pure Lanolin on the rash but nothing seems to help until I take her out of the cloth again. I just cleared the rash up again and will try cloth again tomorrow. I'm 99% sure it isn't yeast. My son had a yeast rash but this is much different, more like an ammonia burn/rash. I would LOVE any advice you could offer from your class :)
  • Raynamama
    Raynamama Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Thank you Heather & Holly :smile: that really helps - I ordered "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" by the Le Leche League from Chapters online on Friday - I'm very eager to read it.

I'm also going to see if there are any breastfeeding classes by lactation consultants in my area :smile:
    Hope you all had a wonderful weekend and we able to get some sleep!:wink: