HELP!.....im always hungry at night after i work out!!

Options
I have been doing MFP for over 2 months now and im down 15 lbs. but at night after i work out between 830 and 1030 im starving. and i cant go to sleep with what feels like an empty stomach. but its definitly not empty, i eat dinner around 630ish each night and i eat for the most part a healthy meal. i measure out everything and im always with in my calorie intake everyday. but its like clock work. but i guess what i want to know is what i can eat that late that really wont affect my weight, or should i just suck it up and not eat after i work out and just keep drinking water?!

Replies

• Pooker89
    Pooker89 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I usually make sure I have a couple Cals that I havn't used up in the day I save about 80-100 for after my workout so I can have a snack afterwords so I don't have to worry about going over. I usually have about 2 cups of mixed veggies ( Brocclie, coliflower, and carrots mixed) With 3 tbl of Zesty Italian dressing low fat. Depending on the brand it usually rounds out to about 80-95 cals for teh veggies and the dressing. =) Hope that helps!
  • Bunnyfufu87
    Options
    try to have a half a glass of milk before bed
  • SapphireJade
    Options
    I have a lot of times what I call head hunger. My head says yes yes yes but my body says ohh no no no it is a hard fight to over come have you tried drinking water when I am in a real debate with myself i find drinking water helps because it can fool your body just by the action and after drinking it some times stops...if not then you know you might need a lil snack
  • alisahaggard
    Options
    I also run at night (after my kids are in bed), so I completely sympathize. I've taken to eating several stalks of celery with a low-cal dip at night when I get hungry. I've also had success with the 100-calorie popcorn packs if I have the calories to spare.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    If your body is telling you that it is that hungry it may actually be hungry. Not sure what your workout consist of but maybe have a protein shake after you workout or even a glass of chocolate milk. Your body needs protein after you workout no matter what time of day it is.
  • SapphireJade
    Options
    If your body is telling you that it is that hungry it may actually be hungry. Not sure what your workout consist of but maybe have a protein shake after you workout or even a glass of chocolate milk. Your body needs protein after you workout no matter what time of day it is.

very very true
  • willaful
    willaful Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Agreed. I've researched this issue and eating the right food after your workout is important for getting the benefit of the exercise. You could actually weaken your body by not eating.

Working out late also tends to make people prone to insomnia. Has this been a problem for you aside from being hungry?
  • kellyrorie
    kellyrorie Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry after a workout, you need to eat. Otherwise you mess up your metabolism AND you cannot build muscle. If you are exercising, eat 100-200 of your calories back in protein (depending on how much you burned). Try a light cheese stick (sargento makes yummy ones) and some turkey lunchmeat together or a protein shake. You won't gain from feeding your muscles what they are asking for. You should also drink a ton of water...that will help fill up your belly too :)
    Hope it helps! You're doing great! keep it up!
    I'm just getting back on after a lapse *sigh...I had to move my little ticker back to 0! If you want a fried/some encouragement, send me a request :)
    Good luck!
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    The 100-Cal popcorn is a good option if you have some calories remaining for the day... you will get throught it!
  • IndianCat3
    IndianCat3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    try eating tuna (in water, drained) and crackers - no mayo - use only one serving size on the crackers. its low in calories and it will hold you thru the next meal (breakfast)
  • IndianCat3
    IndianCat3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    btw, i read that you should eat within a 30 minute window AFTER exercising...
  • crookstanya
    crookstanya Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    have a protein shake! aids in recovery, muscle growing [which means, fat leaving] ...get one that's very low carb, less than 5g of sugar ....or if you like eggs, have like 3 egg whites ..!
  • Expatgirl
    Expatgirl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    A big glass of Sugar Free Berry Burst Metamucil. Sweet, good for you and fills you up. Plus... you will be happy with yourself in the morning.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else! I usually have a small snack after working out - glass of light chocolate soy milk, peanut butter on toasted wheat bread, a 100-cal bowl of oatmeal, etc.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Eat your exercise calories (at least half) if you are not already
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Its always important to feed your body after your workout. You need to refuel and recover after your workout.

Read this, it help me. Has great information.

http://www.besthealthmag.ca/get-healthy/fitness/what-to-eat-after-working-out
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Eating late won't really cause any issues. I always eat after I workout. Gotta refuel the body:)
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

Agreed.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    When I'm hungry, I eat. I upped my calorie goal recently because after starting Insanity and a new job, I was hungrier more often. I usually eat after my workout and I've been eating after I get off work the last 3 nights too. Even if I go over my calories a little, I don't feel bad if I'm actually hungry and not just eating out of boredom (which used to be a problem for me).
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    If I eat @ 6:30 then workout after I would feel hungry too. There is nothing wrong with eating after 7pm, I personally try not to so I don't get heart burn. Either try working out before you eat dinner or have a snack after your workout. The snack doesn't have to be heavy like a cup of warm milk with chocolate powder sweetened with what ever you like would be help a lot.