Different girl, same problem

Options
2»

Replies

• unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Well based on my own experience with weight loss, if I was eating 1600 calories (which I have some days) even with working out, I wouldn't lose any. I don't know how much you weight/height, but that just seems like a lot. In order to me to maintain, according to mfp I shouldn't eat more than 1700. I became overweight eating between 1800-2200 a day and occassional days of 2500.

I don't know, if you feel like forcing yourself to eat more food is going to work then that's your call. But personally, it doesn't work for me.

Different people have different metabolisms. Even if you're the same height as her, the amount of calories that make you gain weight won't necessarily make her gain weight. I went on vacation for a week in October, ate 2,000-2,500 every day, drank more alcohol than I like to admit, didn't exercise (beyond walking everywhere, which I do when I'm at home, anyway, so it doesn't count), and lost a pound. I know that's not going to fly for a good number of people, so I'm not going to judge them if they eat less. I expect them not to judge me for eating more.

Also, when I first started, I was at around 1,500 net calories. When I decided to up those, I did have some trouble eating all of that. I fixed that not by eating more, but by eating differently. I started to snack on dried fruit and peanut butter instead of chocolate. I started putting milk in my coffee, again (amazing how much that helps). I added some flaxseed to my oatmeal. You don't have to force it. Sometimes, you just have to work your way up to eating more, bit by bit.

I don't recall ever judging her?

It may not have been your intention, but she was talking about how she was afraid people would judge her for eating more than 1,200 and then you came in and said she was eating too much
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Wow!! I think I'm offended by your post. If your friends think that you are a fatass for having more calories than them, then they are not the type of friends you need. If that is just the way you think of yourself, then you shouldn't be so hostile. Stop hating on yourself. ..

Hahah I know what you mean. I totally cringed as her use of the word "fatass" in such a derogatory and negative way, as if it's something so unthinkable and despicable. Yet here she is getting some advice from us horrible fatasses. lol Hmmm Somehow doesn't seem like the best idea to get on a site filled with large people and use the word fatass with such venom. That's just me though. *shruuuug* I'm sure she didn't mean it quite the way it came out. Or maybe she did, who knows. lol She doesn't seem like a mean spirited person so I'm probably just being overly sensitive. Wouldn't be the first time. :P
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Hi Paula,

I can totally relate... I've lost 2.2 lb in the past 7 weeks and am theoretically trying to lose 10 lb more (I kind of made up my goal weight and figure I'll know it when I see it... not there yet!). I wish I had some practical advice for you; I've been trying to eat more calories, but don't know what my personal sweet spot is at this point and, on some days, I struggle a bit to get the calories down. I'm just trying to stick it out with the higher calories for a while to see if I can shake myself loose from this plateau... once I get through the marathon I'm training for in January, I'm going to toss up my exercise routine somewhat, also, to add strength training to my currently exclusively cardio routine.

Good luck to you (and #@$ what your "friends" say about how many calories you're eating)! :wink:
  • Jess5825
    Jess5825 Posts: 228
    Options
    I understand that. I have the same problem myself. I have a bodymedia fit, so I know how much I burn a day. I usually burn 3000 or more calories per day. So I can eat 2000 calories or more and still have a 1000 calorie deficit, so I know I won't gain, but I'm scared to do so. I've been debating getting so regular peanut butter and eating that since I'm usually not hungry enough even to eat that much, but then I'm afraid I'll go overboard on it. I've upped my calories before and I'll lose for 2 weeks after my body gets used to it, then plateau again. So I kind of want to up again but to scared to
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Maybe it would help if you stop logging for a bit to try to get over the guilt. I know I feel just beyond guilty when I go over the goal set in my mind. It's actually somewhat hard for me to grasp the concept of net calories over actual ones, even though I know logically it makes sense. I've been stuck in the mindset of 1,200 calories/ day AND work out.

I switched my daily goals so that the "remaining calories" is actually my deficit for the day though and that's working well in getting over the net vs. actual vs. what I KNOW I need to maintain to continue to do what I do (training for races) Try it, you might like it:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/408674-the-olivia-method-the-cool-new-way-to-set-up-your-mfp-go
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Every once in awhile when I notice myself really obsessing over the numbers, I take a short break from logging my calories and just try to listen to my body. Your body will tell you what it needs if you can quiet your mind (fears & guilt included) long enough to listen & obey. I usually try to still check in and look through the forums so I don't get totally out of the habit for when I feel ready to start logging again.

Best of luck to you in figuring it out!
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options
    I didn't mean to offend anyone by using the word "fatass." I meant they'd think I don't have any self-control and eat too much.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I think I'm closing my diary for a couple weeks at least.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I didn't mean to offend anyone by using the word "fatass." I meant they'd think I don't have any self-control and eat too much.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I think I'm closing my diary for a couple weeks at least.

Don't worry about it. People are too sensitive. I call myself a fatass all the time. When I was doing Warrior Dash I said "Get your fatass up this hill, fatty fatty" outloud during one of the obsitcals, I got a lot of strange looks after that LOL
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options

That's probably a good idea. :) That way you're not tempted to "flub" your calorie counts a little to "save face". lol I've been tempted to privatize my diary too but thought - screw it, I don't care what a bunch of strangers online think of my eating habits. lol And it's true. I know I'm doing the best I can and on days I eat pizza or stuff that isn't healthy I don't really care if someone thinks it's gross. I don't know anyone here in real life so I don't care as much what they think of how I eat. hahah But yeah, if it bothers you what others think and are afraid people might judge you, just set your diary to private that way you can stay 100% honest with yourself. :)
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    My weight-loss has slowed down dramatically and I know I need to eat more to see a loss. I'm already eating 1600+ calories a day but only netting 950-1250.

With the 1600 calories I feel so stuffed and I tonight I literally had to force the food down my throat 'cause I was already so full. I'm eating every 2-3 hours.

But eating more itself isn't the problem. I know I could use walnuts in my salad, have a slightly larger portion, choose non-diet ingredients, etc. The problem I have is the guilt. The guilt of seeing the large numbers. I'm not used to netting more than 1290 at most, and seeing anything above that makes me cringe (partly due to the fact that some of my other MFP friends are netting no more than 1200 and I don't want them to think I'm a fatass 'cause I net more than they).

I KNOW that I have to eat more to lose. It kills me not seeing the numbers on the scale go down. But it kills me even more to net so many calories due to the fear of getting used to eating so much and reverting back to old habits.

It might be an irrational fear, but it's there. Is the only way to get over it by just sucking it up and doing it, or is there any other way to deal with it?

I actually know you feel. I freaked out over netting more than 1000 calories a day but after reading a lot on here about how I was harming my progress (and noticing a plateau) I eventually relaxed enough to up them. I am now trying to net 1200 a day. It's hard but you should just relax and do it, what's the worst that could happen? And ideally your friends on MFP should support you being healthy, if they're not doing then maybe you need to find new ones..
  • Angela_2_Oh
    Angela_2_Oh Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I think closing the diary is a great idea. As for adding calories when you feel like you're eating enough, maybe switch to more calorie dense foods, but keep the volume of food the same or slightly less. Try nuts, nut butter, switch out one veggie on a salad for sunflower kernels, swap a large boneless chicken breast for a smaller but more caloric cut of steak. Good luck! :flowerforyou: