Don't trust clothes sizes!

Options
Lozze
Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
I just went to buy a new crop top as mine has had it. The first one I tried on was a size 18 (just getting into 18 and it was the largest they had!) Didnt fit.

Went to Addias. Tried their highest on and it fits perfectly. The size? 14! I am not a size 14 by any stretch. It's laughable.

They were down from $50 to $15 so I bought two!

Replies

• Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Amen. I have several size XL shirts that fit me perfectly, and some at home that I won't fit into until I lose about 70 more pounds.
  • alisha17m
    alisha17m Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Couldn't agree more! Tried on a size 14 dress in target and it looked awesome *major happy dance* yet I still squeeze into size 20 pants. I have clothes in my wardrobe ranging from 22 to 16 and they all get worn!
  • pumpkinmoccasins
    Options
    This is SO true. I normally go for a large top, but sometimes the L is wayyy too tight and I have to bump up to an xl. I have a policy of not shopping at places where their size 16 pants are too tight for my tush, though, because that's just bull.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    This is so true. And I think some stores are making their sizes even SMALLER than before...like the opposite of vanity sizing...simply to annoy me:

I needed to replace a pair of jeans because they were getting old and torn in the knees. Not because they didn't fit, mind you. I wore them into the store and tried on the exact same size in the exact same brand that I was wearing. Did NOT fit. In fact, even though I had the same measurements and weighed about the same, according to Aeropostale I was no longer a size 6...but rather my @$$ inflated to a size 12 without me even knowing it. My other clothes at home still fit fine and I *know* I couldn't have possibly just stretched everything out that much since some of the clothes I hardly ever wear. I left without buying anything from this particular store and bought from a different store where the sizes were more "normal."
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I have clothesin my closet ranging from 8 up to 16 but I'd say I fall somewhere in the 14-12 range. I stopped paying attention to sizes after a friend of mine who is tiny, had to buy an XL from Forever 21. Forget that!
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    TRUTH.

Lucky for me, I pretty much buy my shirts exclusively from Woot.

Pants, on the other hand...
  • Htay88
    Htay88 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I worked many years in retail and my parents owned a clothing boutique. It was so sad when i couldn't fit into the largest size we had. Then i realized that the vendors we bought our clothing from were asian made. Sure a large to somone who is asian is a lot smaller than your average american large. So i was selling clothes i couldn't even fit into.

The sucky part is even knowing how different sizes can range (I have anywhere from a medium shirt to a 2x in my closet and they all fit) It still gets you down when you go to try on clothes and the largest size doesn't fit.

But, I try to remind myself that everyone's body is different. Every brand every style is made different. I like to think of sizes as someone standing there going "hmm that looks like a size 13 slap that on there".
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I have clothesin my closet ranging from 8 up to 16 but I'd say I fall somewhere in the 14-12 range. I stopped paying attention to sizes after a friend of mine who is tiny, had to buy an XL from Forever 21. Forget that!

Yeah, I know that feeling. My 35" chest has to buy large and XL shirts from that store too. BUT...if I go to Target, I can get a small.

And why are my Victoria's Secret undies a small, but my Victoria's Secret jeans are in the medium category, and both fit the same way?
  • redheadlynn
    redheadlynn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This isn't just at the larger end..it also works at the smaller end, too. Women's clothing should really be standardized by the actual garment measurements or something. At least on sewing patterns, there is some consensus! :/
  • flyawaybyebye
    Options
    If you stick to one brand and one cut of jeans, you can measure your progress with that, but yeah, if you aren't consistent with the style/cut and the brand, there is no way to know what is going on. When I was losing sizes, I stuck to the same brand and style of jeans (Gap Long & Lean) and watched myself shrink down through their sizes. It was helpful to know the changes were at least somewhat more consistent that way.
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    It's the same here in the UK I tend to be a UK 12 or 14 (think that's 10-12 in the us) but I went into a shop the otherday and even the 10 was too big and there is no way I'm an 8 then in the next shop an size 16 looked so small it would just about fit my 6 yr old its ridiculous
  • andreacord
    Options
    I definitely have to agree. I have 6 pairs of jeans from bluenotes, three 27s, two 28s and a 29 .. and two sixes and an eight from american eagle
  • tattooedtwiin
    Options
    I worked many years in retail and my parents owned a clothing boutique. It was so sad when i couldn't fit into the largest size we had. Then i realized that the vendors we bought our clothing from were asian made. Sure a large to somone who is asian is a lot smaller than your average american large. So i was selling clothes i couldn't even fit into.

The sucky part is even knowing how different sizes can range (I have anywhere from a medium shirt to a 2x in my closet and they all fit) It still gets you down when you go to try on clothes and the largest size doesn't fit.

But, I try to remind myself that everyone's body is different. Every brand every style is made different. I like to think of sizes as someone standing there going "hmm that looks like a size 13 slap that on there".
    Well said!
  • LoveLiftedMe
    Options
    Up until a year ago, I had a horrible time finding clothes for work that fit correctly, even from plus-size stores. I'm 5'1" and currently a size 22/24--3X. A friend recommended a 'mainstream' store (rather than plus-size specialty stores), and I now buy their clothes exclusively, via the internet. The store? Macy's. Regardless of the label, the fit of their their clothes have been been true-to-size. Plus, they have decent sales - I've bought dresses ranging from $20 (sale) to $150+, and they all fit the same. Last week, I had to buy three winter coats (London Fog) to replace the crappy ones I bought just the year before at a plus-size store, and they fit perfectly, with plenty of room in the upper arms (I have huge fat biceps that are hard to fit).

I say all of this to say please don't stop looking for clothing that fits, and don't restrict yourself to just plus-size stores. You'll be surprised! If you have to spend more money on clothes (I do because of my job), Macy's is a good store to buy from via the internet.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    It's the same here in the UK I tend to be a UK 12 or 14 (think that's 10-12 in the us) but I went into a shop the otherday and even the 10 was too big and there is no way I'm an 8 then in the next shop an size 16 looked so small it would just about fit my 6 yr old its ridiculous

I'm in the UK too. Last week I went into m&s and tried on a pair of size 14 jeans , they were such a lovely fit I ordered them in the black as well as they didn't have that colour in store. When they came I couldn't do them up! The store assistant said that even though they were the same jean the different colours were made in different countries so the sizing wasn't the same. WTF???
  • gem975
    gem975 Posts: 29
    Options
    Hi guys,
    Having just finished a class on this (WOO passed)
    Just thought I'd let you all know that the sizing issue is due to a few different historical events. the first would have to be after the civil war when a company did a survey of a large amount of women and body shapes and came up with a size range that would suit most.. the only problem is that that was back in the 50's..
    obviously women were alot more um.. petite? back then..
    Since then brands have had a go at modifying the sizes to suit their particular 'target' customer. Obviously different brands have different visions on what their ideal customer is which is why there is so much of a fluctuation between one store to the next.
    Hopefully the industry gets its butt into gear and does a new survey, however for now at least you know the WHY's..

:)
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    the first would have to be after the civil war when a company did a survey of a large amount of women and body shapes and came up with a size range that would suit most.. the only problem is that that was back in the 50's..

Please tell me you meant to type World War II? :)

My mum has theorized that it's actully American size 14 (which is Australia size 18) That is a possibly.
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I have this issue too but more worryingly mens clothes are measured in inches. My smallest are a 38 inch waist yet when I was trying some new ones the other day a pair of 42 inch was smaller than them, makes it a real chore buying clothes.
  • darkenedfalling
    darkenedfalling Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    God I agree! MOST shops I'm okay in, just a standard 8, although Primark seem to all be tiny and my size 4 friend had to get a 12 once :L Mostly here (UK) there's also the EU sizes in inches? like 32 34 36 attached to each size 8 10 12 here. Some are a size out but some are ridiculous! I'm most definitely an 8 but in one shop a 4 leggings were still miles too big :S sort it out! Also I bought an 8 skirt and measured it (supposedly 34 inches) and it was 39! Lies!
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem and I think it is worst in jr clothes. I have no jeans that fit really good (inbetween sizes) so I went to 5 stores and everything I tried on ranged from a 16 to a 12. either to big in the butt and legs or way to small in the waist. It is so frustrating. So I went into Walmart for some other things and just happened to try on their most cheapest jeans and they fit nice. Size 13..... Although they are cheap nobody knows but me......:tongue: