Who's using Diet Pills?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    I am taking a prescription version of Alli, which is not a appetite suppressant but is supposed to stop the fat from foods being absorbed in your body. I had already lost 70lbs before I started taking them, so I am aware of what and how I should eat to lose weight, I am just using the pills to speed up the process a little. I have not suffered any of the side effects that people have mentioned with these type of pills. To be honest, I wouldn't take them if I had to pay for them, as I am not losing an awful lost faster than I was before, but while I can have them on prescription every little helps. As I understand it my doctor will only prescribe them for 12 months anyway, but I hope to be close to my goal by then.
    Still, it's ironic that you have to supplement good fat because the pill will also expel good fat. Just burn your calories and stay in calorie deficit recommended and there shouldn't be an issue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Your right, but im on this pill to teach me how to eat better.. example Duromine stops me from being hungry, so when i do eat i am most likey to choose a healthier meal. im training my body to stop craving bread and pasta and not to eat it as often as i use too. Its just so hard, when all your life you didnt care what went in to your body and now finally im caring..

Hello,

I stopped eating all processed foods for a couple of months. As my body was getting used to the new lifestyle I experienced very severe head aches and body aches, and the cravings were insane!!!! But I just waited it out and felt better. Now I can have those things in moderation, and I don't eat them if I don't have to. IE... I eat my burgers on lettuce leaves instead of bread, but will eat whole wheat spaghetti now and then. I just don't crave the junk like I used to. I also eat often, about 5-6 times a day, but I have changed what I eat (nobody got fat from eating too many apples)

This was surprisingly easy for me after a while, and I didn't need a pill for it, it just took some dedication. Not saying you aren't dedicated. I just think the pharmaceutical companies push these pills and supplements down our throats when they are so unnecessary.

I also know diet pills can become habit forming. So Just be careful and be aware.

Welcome to MFP, you may also find that being here, you don't need those pills when you have such an excellent support system here. I know it has made it easier for me!

Ronney
  • racheljoanne
    Options
    I've tried a fat burning pill before, it didn't work for me. I only took it for a few weeks then started to get chest pains. I dont know if they were related to the pills but i stopped taking them and felt much better!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots of haters on the diet pills! I happen to love them. I take Alli pretty regularly (despite the side effects, it's really the only thing that actually, chemically, stops fat from being absorbed. I also have been using a carb blocker, which is just white kidney bean extract, for a few weeks. Dr. Oz says that the extract actually interacts with your digestive chemicals so that the carbs are not turned into sugar and then fat. I also play around with the "typical" diet pills but don't find much difference/success with them -- Hydoxycut, Slimquick, etc. I've also tried phentermine prescription but after a while, it gives me headaches and I have to increase my dosage because I become less sensitive to it, so I try to stay away from it -- plus my doctor won't give it to me very often. ;) Good luck!
    Usually it's the "users" that make a statement like this. Pills are crutches. If you can't do it without them, then you'll always be on them.
    Being a natural bodybuilder my whole life, and experimenting and researching dieting methods all this time, I've discovered that the majority of supplements and pills exaggerate claims and practically NONE have clinical studies to back them up. While some thermogenics do work, again it's a crutch.
    There's no secret. It's diet and exercise. Calories in calories out. It's too bad that you're stuck in the belief that you can't do it without them.

IDEA Fitness member
  • FatassFairy
    FatassFairy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I think you have good reason. Maybe you can retrain your body and it is hard. But I've seen people take welbutrin or someone other anti depressant pill to quit smoking. They do a great job on changing their life for months, but for some reason when they go off of the anti depressant they are back to smoking. I wonder if the pills you are taking will do the same thing. I wish you lots of luck and well wishes!
    Your right, but im on this pill to teach me how to eat better.. example Duromine stops me from being hungry, so when i do eat i am most likey to choose a healthier meal. im training my body to stop craving bread and pasta and not to eat it as often as i use too. Its just so hard, when all your life you didnt care what went in to your body and now finally im caring..

my mom was prescribe valium to quit smoking over 15 years ago, after smoking for over 40 years. and no never started again.

taking and or going off pills do not make you start smoking again or gaining weight again , YOU make you do that. its yours own it;.
  • Josteen06
    Josteen06 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

I agree with you. Im taking adipex to help train me to eat better.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    The first few months I was using those Green Tea pills, stopped using them after I realized I lost weight anyway if I didn't use them.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time, I took Lipo-6... then Lipo-6 Hers... I wanna say between 4-8yrs ago. Looking back now, I've come to the conclusion it was all my HARD work that gave me the results. Why? Because I ain't takin' *kitten* now and I'm getting places. Besides, last time I took the Lipo-6 hers I started getting migraines. Oops I left one out... Don't remember the brand. Anyway, completely unnecessary & Jamie Eason says it only helps you burn about 100 extra calories! WOW all those calories!

Now, I do know this crazy chick at work who made it obvious to me she takes ADHD meds to lose weight. I also have a friend that tried telling me she has ADHD and happens to be overweight. UGHHHHHHHHHHH! Drives me NUTS!!! How can some women be so (choose whatever word you like and insert)... NO I don't believe either of them have ADHD and IMO, the meds make them WACKY (not in a good way and they remain overweight).
  • loswa4
    loswa4 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I've wanted to but haven't as yet.
  • Msjat
    Msjat Posts: 9
    Options
    I used ALLi and it seemed to work. I had no side effects. It supposed to work by inhibiting the absorption of fat. I read that this is the only over the counter pill that has been approved by the FDA to work. I am probably a sucker. With this and starting wellbutrin (antidepressant) I lost 25 pounds. I lost the urge to over eat. I was eating like a normal person, what a concept!
  • jilleencaizzi
    jilleencaizzi Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    NO WAY!! I watch what I eat try stay under my calories and workout 7days a week!! I don't ever want to gain a single pound back and I have never tried any pills but know people who have and they have gained it all back. You have to push yourself for your body to adjust.
  • saraha50701
    Options
    I've been using phentermine now for about 3 weeks. I really like it so far, except the last couple of days, I have more of an appetite again. It still helps me eat less.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    drugs are bad mmkay
  • First, I wasn't making a "statement," I was simply sharing my experiences. Second, I never said that it wasn't better "to do it without them" or that I (or anyone else) couldn't. Of course it's about hard work and watching what you eat -- I would say it's pretty likely that those using MFP for counting and community purposes are already in touch with that hard fact.
    Wow, lots of haters on the diet pills! I happen to love them. I take Alli pretty regularly (despite the side effects, it's really the only thing that actually, chemically, stops fat from being absorbed. I also have been using a carb blocker, which is just white kidney bean extract, for a few weeks. Dr. Oz says that the extract actually interacts with your digestive chemicals so that the carbs are not turned into sugar and then fat. I also play around with the "typical" diet pills but don't find much difference/success with them -- Hydoxycut, Slimquick, etc. I've also tried phentermine prescription but after a while, it gives me headaches and I have to increase my dosage because I become less sensitive to it, so I try to stay away from it -- plus my doctor won't give it to me very often. ;) Good luck!
    Usually it's the "users" that make a statement like this. Pills are crutches. If you can't do it without them, then you'll always be on them.
    Being a natural bodybuilder my whole life, and experimenting and researching dieting methods all this time, I've discovered that the majority of supplements and pills exaggerate claims and practically NONE have clinical studies to back them up. While some thermogenics do work, again it's a crutch.
    There's no secret. It's diet and exercise. Calories in calories out. It's too bad that you're stuck in the belief that you can't do it without them.

IDEA Fitness member
  • FatassFairy
    Options
    Once upon a time, I took Lipo-6... then Lipo-6 Hers... I wanna say between 4-8yrs ago. Looking back now, I've come to the conclusion it was all my HARD work that gave me the results. Why? Because I ain't takin' *kitten* now and I'm getting places. Besides, last time I took the Lipo-6 hers I started getting migraines. Oops I left one out... Don't remember the brand. Anyway, completely unnecessary & Jamie Eason says it only helps you burn about 100 extra calories! WOW all those calories!

Now, I do know this crazy chick at work who made it obvious to me she takes ADHD meds to lose weight. I also have a friend that tried telling me she has ADHD and happens to be overweight. UGHHHHHHHHHHH! Drives me NUTS!!! How can some women be so (choose whatever word you like and insert)... NO I don't believe either of them have ADHD and IMO, the meds make them WACKY (not in a good way and they remain overweight).

hmm adhd and over weight are not mutually exclusive i am ADD and obese.
  • FatassFairy
    Options
    drugs are bad mmkay

not all drugs are bad many save lives
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    drugs are bad mmkay

true.. i love my albuterol, asmanex, caffeine, and alcohol.
  • iamthevieve
    Options
    I tried taking MFP once but I couldn't swallow my laptop.

ROFL
  • FatassFairy
    Options
    drugs are bad mmkay

true.. i love my albuterol, asmanex, caffeine, and alcohol.

albuterol is a life saving drug as is asmanex, dont list them them caffeine adn alcohol
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    You don't LEARN anything about how to eat right from a pill. If a pill could "teach" or "train" us how to eat right, then why can't we just take a pill to learn a new language, or learn how to crochet, or learn how to play hockey? Why can't we give our dog a pill to "train" him how to pee and poop outside?

Healthy eating habits and healthy lifestyle changes develop with practice and commitment, and sometimes trial and error. You can't learn a new skills or new habits by taking a pill.

Sorry, it's just not that easy. Losing weight and becoming physically fit takes work.:flowerforyou: