I have an eating disorder.

Options
2»

Replies

• Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I see that you have already received a lot of good advice. We all want you to succeed.

My thoughts are that if you are going to succeed, you need to be sure to log everything. Be honest. This way you will be able to track your progress, and start to see the effect of eating well.

My other suggestion is to take time out to work out what is important in your life. What do you want to accomplish? What inspires you? Then determine the small goals which you need to meet, in order to meet your ambitions.

You have made the first step in joining a very supportive community ... Good luck with your journey.
  • Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    You do not mention if you are getting help with this disease? Speaking with both a psychologist and nutritionist would be the most important steps you could take to learn how to manage this. You are taking an important step here, too, by reaching out for support.

I agree. and Its a good first step that you are admitting it!
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Yes welcome..well admiting it is the first thing..now time to get some professional help. Very few people can do it alone. Besides there are to many things medically that could go wrong. esp with the purging..potassium levels and your heart to start with. But after you get some help we are here if you want to join us. feel free to add me as a friend if you like
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else wholeheartedly. We are all thrilled that you are acknowledging your problem; that's the first step toward recovery. But it's a BABY step and only the first of MANY, MANY steps you need to take. It is crucial that you not try to do this alone. As great as MFP is, it is not sufficient to help you deal with a disease as complex as bulimia. Bulimia has many underlying causes and triggers, and only a professional trained to help those with eating disorders can help you get to the root of your problem. You have to deal with whatever issues or events caused the bulimia in the first place. It's kind of like pulling weeds in your garden; if you just pull the top part of the weed, your garden will look great temporarily, but the weeds will come back. To get completely rid of the weeds and have a healthy garden, you have to pull those weeds up by the root so they can't grow back. The issues that caused your bulimia will continue to rear their ugly heads and trigger problems if you don't dig down and deal with them. If you aren't sure where to find help, use the hotline numbers that the Moderator (Sally) posted. They can refer you to someone in your area.

We all wish you the best and hope you are able to fully recover. Bulimia can take over your life, and now's the time for you to take your life back. We're all rooting for you!
  • iamthevieve
    Options
    I struggled with anorexia when I was in high school. It was a major problem for me. When I joined the military, I was essentially forced to eat during basic training. Once I got over my anorexia, I started over eating, which wasn't a problem until I got pregnant and left the military. Now I'm borderline obese.
  • arrivederci
    Options
    Yes, I am getting professional help, just so everyone knows. I'm already a bit better-- I used to not even be able to keep down water without throwing up, and today I kept down a healthy breakfast and lunch. So it is getting better, but it is still difficult.
    Thank you for your support. I just wanted you to know that yes I have professional help.
  • PetitePerfection
    PetitePerfection Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Awesome choice!! Honestly, going into recovery is one of the best things I have ever done for myself! And I totally understand what you mean about "recovering" gaining weight, then relapsing. That still happens to me every once in awhile. But then I go back and read some of the things I wrote and felt in the throes of my ed and remember how miserable it was. I remember the weird look I got from people when they could see my bones sticking out. And how exhausted I always was and then I tell myself that I am now a healthy weight and that my body is capable of amazing things. I could create another life if I wanted too (something that I lost the ability to do for a while), I can run for miles and miles (which I was much too weak to do previously)and now guys check me out because, believe it or not, they appreciate a bit of an *kitten*!!! Good luck and you'll be so thankful that you chose to recover!!
    Feel free to add me if you need support!
  • jeninabilan
    jeninabilan Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Hey hun.. your topic inspired me to post this message.. hope you read it...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/412164-eating-disorders-my-story
  • arrivederci
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who responded. If anyone else has similar issues, I'm also here for support. You all are wonderful.
  • sarahlovestorun
    sarahlovestorun Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm Sarah, I'm in high school, and I've suffered from anorexia with bulimic tendencies since 5th grade. I'm on the road to recovery, but it's still a struggle. Feel free to send me a message! Welcome to MFP!
  • Rinne129
    Options
    I battled with eating disorders of every kind from 8th grade all the way through college. I did seek professional help, I did see a nutritionist and I tried every workout regimen and diet in the book to make me "feel better." Nothing worked, nothing helped. I was starving and depleted of necessary vitamins and nutrients. There were days when I considered 1 piece of bread and 5 pieces of gum "enough" to get me through my competitive swim meets in high school...
    Even though I am now recovered from my eating disorders (I think?), I continue to struggle with the remnants of my abuse. I can never splurge without significant consequences, I will never be able to lose weight and keep it off without strict restrictions. I wish I could have foreseen the longterm damages I was doing to my body -- if I had just eaten "normally" I would be able to eat "normally" now... I now continue to fight the battle with weight and I will my whole life.
    My advice to you is to stop now when you still have a chance at future sanity!!! How? Concentrate on the things you love -- about you, your body, your life, family, friends, talents. If you can find happiness in other areas, you may not focus on what you're eating as much. And this is the key. The less I focus on food and meals, the more I'm likely to eat healthy and right and not splurge, ever.
    Not sure if this helps at all, but I wish somebody would have told me this when I was in the thick of my battles... and to give you some hope, I am now a happy, healthy, 150 lb, 5 ft 7 in woman with a husband who loves every single one of my curves and I'm an accomplished marathoner. I have never felt stronger, more confident or happier in my life!