Quinoa Recipes?

Options
jdelisle
jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
At the advice of my Chinese Herbal Medicine Doctor, I purchased some of this today at my local health food store.

I tried googling some recipes, but I thought maybe I would ask some of my fellow MFPers for help!

What is your favourite recipe using Quinoa?

Replies

• KandieLantz
    KandieLantz Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I've never used it myself, and in fact just heard of it for the first time while watching Chopped on Food Network the other day. Now this is twice in one week.... must be a sign lol. You can go to their website and find recipes. Let us know!
  • LindseyDD
    LindseyDD Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I made a turkey chilli with quinoa that other night - LOVED IT

MSG me if you are interested
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Quinoa and Black Beans, great recipe here! I've made it several times and thanks for reminding me to make it again, lol!

Copy and Paste:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quinoa-and-Black-Beans/Detail.aspx
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I make the quinoa according to package directions but sub the water for low-sodium chicken stock. Once that's cooked I mix in 1/4 c yellow raisins and chopped fresh parsley. makes a nice side dish and is very easy.
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    what is quinoa? how does it taste?
  • Kymmy81
    Kymmy81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I am in love with this - http://www.plantfoodfabulous.com/2010/10/lentils-and-quinoa-with-roasted.html - at the moment. It makes enough for at least 6 serves so I freeze leftovers for lunches. I only made the roasted broccoli part the first time I tried the recipe, but the lentils/quinoa part is so versatile it will go with any veg. Tastes like nothing I've ever eaten before. SO GOOD. x
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    what is quinoa? how does it taste?

It is a gluten free grain. It really doesn't have much of a flavor, but it is a great substitute for rice or pasta because it is high in protein as well as gluten free. You can add it to just about anything, it can be breakfast, lunch or dinner too!
  • griffgirl
    griffgirl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is AWESOME! You can cook/season it the same way you'd cook rice or cous-cous; it takes on the flavor of whatever you cook it with, basically. One of my favorite base-recipes to cook it with is to use half a vegetable bouillon per cup of water (I don't eat meat). It gives it a really good base flavor and you can season it any way you like while cooking it. A few nights ago I threw in half a cup of sauteed onions (sauteed in just enough olive oil to lightly coat them), a tablespoon of minced garlic and probably 5 or 6 dried cherries from the bulk section of a rather crappy (as opposed to gourmet or specialty) grocery store. It came out GREAT!

Another successful dinner I made was by using 1/2 cup of almond milk, 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of quinoa, along with some green curry paste (about a teaspoon) and maybe 1/2 a tsp of cinnamon. And probably some minced garlic (I don't remember, but I use it with everything, so probably.) If I had raisins, I'd have added those in, too. Just throw everything in with the quinoa and cook it all together. If you like curry, you'll love this! (I hope!) I used the almond milk because I didn't have any coconut milk, but I think it would've turned out even better with coconut milk (albeit more calories).

Lastly, I've also been experimenting with cooking quinoa as a breakfast oatmeal type of deal. So far I've been subbing almond milk for water entirely and it's turned out pretty well. Yesterday I used 1/3 cup of quinoa, 1 cup of almond milk (so it stays kind of "soupy" to be closer to an oatmeal consistency), 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tsp agave syrup, and cinnamon and allspice to taste. Cook for 15 minutes. After it was done cooking, I added 2 tbsp maple syrup and 1 tsp unpacked brown sugar. Came out pretty well! Here's the breakdown I came up with:
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein
    Silk - Pure Almond Milk- Original, 8 ounces 60 8 3 1
    Quinoa - Cooked, 0.3 cup cooked (185g) 67 12 1 2
    Log Cabin - Maple Syrup Regular, 2 Tbsp / 1 fl oz 100 27 0 0
    Sugars - Brown, 1 tsp unpacked unpacked 11 3 0 0
    238 50 4 3
  • patricia909
    patricia909 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    bump
  • justme84x
    Options
    I cook up a chicken breast and toss it in the pan with a bag of stir fry vegetables and add some cooked quinoa! yummy!
  • keggen
    keggen Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/11251

Gingery quinoa salad with apples, peas, and coconut

I didn't want to buy the carrot/beet juice so I cooked the quinoa with finely shredded carrots. No coconut for me though.
  • hopebuck
    hopebuck Posts: 138
    Options
    loving this thread!!

tonight I sauteed some butternut squash in coconut oil, sprinkled with pumpkin pie spice, and topped off with some unsweetened shredded coconut...it was like dessert! I paired it with quinoa for protein :) mmmmmmm next time i'll throw the quinoa in with the squash so it gets it's own coconut goodness!
  • graycaro
    graycaro Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Schmoopy11
    Options
    I love it cooked, cooled then mixed with roasted veggies, feta cheese, parsley, slivered almonds and some italian dressing. I make my own with olive oil, balsamic, fresh garlic, etc....

Mmmmm.... gonnna have to make it soon. I just don't know the calorie count.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Try quinoa tabouleh-- use your favorite tabouleh recipe, but substitute quoinoa for the bulgar wheat.

I also use it in place of couscous in recipes and side dishes. Love it!
  • wreath7
    wreath7 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i just boil it for 8-10 minutes and add broccolli at some point and it's great.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I put it on burrito's and top chili over it. I also like it with just some soy sauce, as a side with salmon.... Some like to stuff peppers with it instead of rice!
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Here are two recipes I have made with Quinoa that I really like:

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2008/02/vegetable-fried-quinoa.html

http://www.weightwatchers.com/food/rcp/RecipePage.aspx?recipeid=146341&sc=11 (I use veggie broth when I make this recipe since I am a vegetarian).

It is great to use as an alternative to couscous or rice as others have stated. As long as you flavor it well with broth and seasons, it tastes great. I especially like the red colored quinoa. Just make sure to rinse it very well before cooking with it in a small holed strainer. It may have a bitter aftertaste if not rinsed before cooking with it.