For mommies who workout, has this ever happened to u?

2»

Replies

• jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    This happens to most people - either as a result of birthing and / or getting older. Kegels help. Exercise generally helps. I had trouble for about two years postnatally, but found that being more active and doing regular kegels did sort it out.

If you're very concerned you can get (I kid you not) 'weights' to put up inside that you use to make the kegels more effective. I haven't used these myself, but have friends who have and who swore by them.

So you don't have that problem anymore??
  • jamaicanlady
    I've been there! I try to remember to do my kegels and I'm sure eventually it'll get better. But for now I always use the bathroom *right before* I do my workout (even if I just went 3 minutes ago) and lots of times I wear a panty liner, just in case.

Your are not alone ;)

I was just going to say that sometimes I just went to the bathroom when it happens! Guess I'm not in this alone.
  • jamaicanlady
    I have the same problem and I will go pee immediately before beginning the workout and I STILL pee when I do jumping jacks. Unfortunately this happened when I was at my first day of tae kwon do class and we had to do like 100 jumping jacks and by the time we finished my pants were very obviously wet. I never went back to that class after that.

I'm sorry, I had to laugh when I read this. That is one of the reasons I work out from the comfort of my home now. There is only 1 gym in my town and if something like this should happen to me there, not only couldn't I go back, but I'd be the talk of the town for days.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Yes. I wear pads when I do high impact aerobics. There's a surgery to fix it if it doesn't resolved.
  • jamaicanlady
    Oh wow, I guess you ladies are saying the Kegels will help but not completely eradicate the problem. That is not cute! I haven't even finished having children yet! <BIG SOB>
  • theoddlittleduck
    theoddlittleduck Posts: 37 Member
    Me.

I was just doing some Jillian Michaels and I noticed it during jumping jacks. I've also had it happen occasionally during hockey when I'm going all out. It doesn't seem to matter if I just have urinated or not.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,380 Member
    Yes, my first birth apparently did some damage in that area. I'm okay when I jog but lately I've been doing the 30 day shred which includes lots of different jumping movements..... And Tena Serenity is getting a lot of my business lately. LOL. It stinks but it's not unusual among moms. Thankfully my second birth did not make it any worse. It's not a problem when I'm not jumping around. LOL. But yeah this is one reason I am in no hurry to join a gym. Totally terrified of peeing myself during a class or getting into some position where people can see I'm wearing a ginormous bladder control pad. And yes there are surgeries to correct it, but no point in me even considering that until I'm done having kids and that's not for YEARS down the road. So for now I just have a 'workout budget' that includes those nice absorbent pads. Ideally it would be great if I could work out first thing in the morning before drinking a bunch of liquids, but it never seems to happen that way. My workouts always seem to happen in the afternoon, so I use the restroom, put on my pad, and hope for he best. Even if I use the restroom and then immediately start my workout, I still have at least a small issue with it. Apparently the damage that birth #1 did not only affects my control but perhaps also makes it difficult for me to completely empty my bladder. Sucks, but it's reality. Kegels helped to the point where it is not a problem just going about daily activities, but not for my new more vigorous workouts.
  • maceycarey
    maceycarey Posts: 143 Member
    yes i do lol i was thinking the same thing last night... i have had two kids... but i just think you should wear a panty liner till you stop and ive been doing kegal excercise since i was in high school its just a good way to tighten up down there and it will help with that problem... good luck!
  • hi I'm 53 and tryin to lose weight. I have four grown children and four young grandchildren. and a husband who loves to cook...need encouragement
  • CMmrsfloyd
    yes i do lol i was thinking the same thing last night... i have had two kids... but i just think you should wear a panty liner till you stop and ive been doing kegal excercise since i was in high school its just a good way to tighten up down there and it will help with that problem... good luck!

I can't speak for all these other ladies but mine often requires MUCH more absorbency than a panty liner could provide. I have to use the special bladder control pads or I'm risking a catastrophic event. LOL
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    If kegels dont work...the surgery is for prolapsed bladder..uterus to correct problem.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    It's amusing to me how men agonize over the "devastating" complications of prostate cancer treatment, when they're pretty much the same things that women are supposed to put up with from childbirth and menopause.

Leaking after childbirth is not gross, it's part of life. And if exercise/weight loss/surgery/drugs don't work or aren't your thing, it's not the end of the world to just wear pads and do everything you would have done anyway. Giving birth is an amazing accomplishment and one should not feel embarrassed about anything that results.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    I have felt sudden urges to go to the bathroom, but havent leaked. I had a c-section and then a v-bac. my v-bac boy is 14 months old. I think it helped that I was doing kegels to strengthen my muscles before I had my kids, so they were pretty strong to begin with, so it didn't take long for everything to go back to normal again.
    So I guess this is my way of injecting some hope into the topic, some moms get their bladder back! :-)

Still get twinges in my c-section scar, where they put the shunt in. stabbing pain and then nothing in the blink of an eye. And, of course, the stretch marks that will keep me in a tankini for the rest of my life instead of a bikini, regardless of how much weight I lose.
  • SCOUSERWENCH
    SCOUSERWENCH Posts: 74 Member
    If you need the loo during excersize just go.. save having accidents. If you hold it too long you'll end up having bladder cramp.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    If you need the loo during excersize just go.. save having accidents. If you hold it too long you'll end up having bladder cramp.

Problem with that is some of us go right before exercising and do not feel an 'urge' to go while exercising, it just *happens*. If you feel the urge then yeah, take a break and go, but that is not necessarily a solution for all of us. :-(
  • jamaicanlady
    Ahhh...the joys of motherhood. And yea, panty liners wouldn't help, just gonna keep doing the kegels and wearing pads if i have any serious jumping to do. Surgery is not an option right now.