Tips for treadmill?

Options
Hi all,

What do you do on your treadmill to make the time pass. Listening to music does not really help me (not a huge music fan)

So anything else I can do while I do my 20 minute fast walk?

Thanks for any tips.

Replies

• gunmetalsunrise
    Options
    I find that day dreaming helps. I use music to help change my thinking, as it were. Puts me in an altered state where I'm mostly "ignoring" my body and I'm able to run for longer. And having the right music helps for running, too.

Sorry that's not much help. :/
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,024 Member
    Options
    read, watch TV, or listen to audio books
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

What do you do on your treadmill to make the time pass. Listening to music does not really help me (not a huge music fan)

So anything else I can do while I do my 20 minute fast walk?

Thanks for any tips.

I have a TV and DVD player set up...I tend to watch movies where people are running away from stuff!
  • chloizzle
    Options
    Try podcasts! I like listening to comedy ones, like 8 Out Of 10 Cats. I also read when I don't feel like listening to music or podcasts.
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    Watching TV would be nice, but it is my building's gym and they have no TV set up there.
    I like the idea of audio books, may give that a try.

Reading wouldn't work at my pace.

Any other tips?
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Find a way to keep your arms busy if you can, and whatever you do, don't hang on to the railing on to the treadmill.

I know that's amateur stuff but thought I'd drop that in there just in case you didn't know. heheh :D

To keep your mind busy you might try making lists. Lists of what you'd like to accomplish that week, lists of long term goals, etc and see how many you can remember throughout the workout. When you're finished, write down the ones you remember (those will usually be the most important as they will stick with you).
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    You can watch tv shows on an iPad or iPod classic.
  • VIII_4G63
    VIII_4G63 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Interval training. Vary the speed and/or the incline.

I do 1 minute at a slow jog, then 1 minute at a fast run. Keeps the mind active.
  • c2me12ad6
    c2me12ad6 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Do something different every minute. Walk for a few mins then start watching the seconds walk fast for one min then next min job for a min then next min turn side ways and gallop switch do the other side too....so on and so fourth pick something different do do every min change it up time goes by so quick!
  • sarscott
    sarscott Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I repeat "You got this" for 65 minutes during my walk/runs. lol. And I take magazines with me to look at the pictures since I can't read very well while I'm jogging (I'm afraid I'll fall off!). Lately I've taken the time to try out some of my friends' running music and that's been an interesting experience that I kind of like.
  • addman72
    addman72 Posts: 220
    Options
    I rigged up a platform/shelf for my treadmill at home. I put my portable DVD player on it and watch either music DVDs or TV shows.

At the gym I put the Ipod on and rock away :)
  • brianrb
    brianrb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    At the gym I read a book or watch one of the tv's they have going, at home I usually throw on a dvd. Only problem there is if I get to involved with the movie I can trip on the treadmill.
    Another thing I do at home and the gym is only do 20mins at a time on the treadmill then go onto another machine, then back again. And always doing interval training
  • GeneaCindy
    GeneaCindy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Podcasts! Love 'em. I'm into NPR's Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me and Car Talk. I also do family history stuff, and I have a couple of podcasts I listen to related to that. Other good choices - Stuff You Missed in History Class, Stuff You Should Know, and Stuff Your Mom Never Told You. I do listen to music when I workout on the treadmill. I put together playlists that vary my workout throughout the hour. I wouldn't say that I am totally "into" music, but there are some songs that really seem to push me on. The Proclaimers "Walk 500 miles" at about 3.7mph with 5lb weights in each hand, incline about 5, is awesome.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I focus myself on set training targets... work our how much distance is going to burn me 100 calories, how fast I'm running a 1km...what my 10km average would be if... just loads of mental arithmetic! I find it helps... don't put headphones in as gym music is loud enough and also makes me listen to new music and watch the videos which can be inspiring or just interesting! :)
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    To get the most out of your workout, don't be distaracted my books and gizzits... you can't focus properly on periphery if you're working out hard enough!...FACT!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    if you are on doing a walk try a kindle? if you like reading! you blow up the words so they are a little bigger incase the movement blurs it! :bigsmile:
  • evanstm
    Options
    Interval training!!!! Just google it and you can find ones that are walking or running or both. You have to pay attention to the time and treadmill to change the settings. Keeps my very busy!
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Interval training!!!! Just google it and you can find ones that are walking or running or both. You have to pay attention to the time and treadmill to change the settings. Keeps my very busy!

ohhh I like that idea! Interval training is a lot of fun too! Makes you feel more accomplished then just walking on the treadmill. I did some interval training outside before the weather got too cold and it was fun. I couldn't go at a full run but a fast walk/jog between intervals of walking was great. I tried the C25K podcast and when it said to run I would lightly jog. Great way to have the time go by faster and burns a lot more calories. :)
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I find that day dreaming helps. I use music to help change my thinking, as it were. Puts me in an altered state where I'm mostly "ignoring" my body and I'm able to run for longer. And having the right music helps for running, too.

Sorry that's not much help. :/

i do the same thing. the TM @ the gym has tv's on them but i just cant focus on them. i tend to take my headphones off and watch the traffic in the parking lot. this only happens if im doing a tempo or easy run on the TM

What makes time go by fast for me is when im doing speedwork or hillwork on the TM. im constantly changing the speed or the incline every so many minutes that after 3-4 miles, my lunchtime is over!
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Regis and Kelly or the Travel Channel!