How often do you weigh in?

Options
2»

Replies

• petitfilou
    Options
    Once a week maximum, once a fortnight if I can possibly help it. My scales get confused by anything from pre-menstrual bloat to a long drink of water (anyone who has ever lugged a couple of 2litre bottles of mineral water home from the supermarket will know that water weighs a lot) and the results are just confusing and depressing. So I try to leave it for at least a week so that my body has had a chance to actually lose proper fat.

On the flip side of that, I went through a phase once where I lost no weight at all for 2 months, literally nothing - yet I was able to zip up a jacket that I could not zip up before. So, long term, I don't know how valuable it is to know that you are losing "weight" ...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I tend to forget about the scale for a while (on purpose), I try to wait until I see a small difference, but then again, the number on the scale isnt always great, but if you see it else where thats what counts. Remember muscle ways more than fat. I think its crazy those who weigh themselves daily or a couple times a day. Leave too much room for discouragement. Its nice to forget about that number sometimes. Some times Id rather measure inches, than pounds. Just a personal thing I guess. I havent weighed myself for a couple weeks.

I don't get discouraged because weight doesn't really matter. It's just one, relatively small factor of health. I'm much more concerned with body fat percentage, resting heart rate, blood pressure, strength and endurance. The actual number on the scale is actually the least important number in my mind out of all those.
  • wonca
    wonca Posts: 81
    Options
    I weigh in weekly just so I can have an accurate calorie number for the week on MFP.

If it motivates you and keeps you focused go for whatever works. Personally the scale doesn't do anything for me.. I'm much more about the NSV's. How my clothes fit, how I feel, etc...
  • PKempy
    PKempy Posts: 14
    Options
    After spending £110 on a pair of WiFi scales it's every morning for me! (It's great getting the update on the iPhone app and seeing another point on the graph).

I sometimes see about a one pound fluctuation some times but don't let it get to me.

My philosophy is

* Enter everything that you eat & drink into your food diary and be 100% honest (to yourself) about weights consumed etc.
    * Stick to your calorie allowance.

If I do the above two things I know that any fluctuation is just a ripple in the downward slope that is my weight.
  • xmommyof2boysx
    xmommyof2boysx Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Once a week on Fridays..
  • staceeyy3
    Options
    I weigh in every morning, i have a digital scales in my bedroom its kind of addicted but i do it even when im not trying to loose weight i just like to know and keep on top of it...if im up one day i know i had to many calories...