diet soda or no diet soda

Options
So I want to hear your thoughts on diet drinks. I hear they are horrible for you and actually can cause you to gain weight. Yet, I don't smoke or anything and feel that I should be allowed a vice. I don't go overboard with them, maybe 3 or 4 a week, but if they are really sabotaging my efforts then I need to cut them out.

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    3 or 4 a week will not sabotage your efforts. You can give them up if you want to, but it's not necessary for weightloss.

ETA: I drink 1 or 2 a day and my weightloss has come along quite nicely. :-) However I have cut back considerably - it used to be more than 2 liters each day and no water, ever, before I started MFP.
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Yes, diet soda.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Some people feel that they lead to craving sweets. I don't drink them myself (can't stand the taste) so I can't speak from experience. But I would suggest that you drink them and see if you continue to lose weight.
  • gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    its ok sometimes but not everyday
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I never liked the taste of diet sodas. I drank the real thing. When I started eating healthy, I cut them out altogether. I've not had one in over six months. Water and tea for me.
  • Mandysunshine2190
    Options
    I have done my own personal study with diet soda and I tend to lose less weight while drinking them... when I stick to juices, water and skim milk I lose more weight and feel less bloated...:smile:
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Of course they are not good for you. But i personally drink diet soda, because the only other thing I really drink is water, I would rather eat my calories. Diet soda has 0 calories, so it does not cause you to gain weight. As long as you stay within your calorie limit, it should not affect your weight loss.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I say "yes", in moderation.

I use diet sodas as a treat to replace some other sugary snack-- maybe 3-4 per week--and always decaffeinated [I prefer diet root beer and diet lemon lime-type sodas.]
  • Primm
    Primm Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Not for me, too many chemicals. I'm not just trying to lose weight, I'm trying to make my body healthier, and adding crap is not in the plan.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I switched to mostly diet and enjoyed it for a few years, while losing then maintaining a healthy weight.

Currently, I've cut out all soda and juice for the past 2 years.

And I'm ballin' .
  • Betsybeee
    Betsybeee Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I used to be hooked on diet pepsi, still love them but the more you drink the more you want. I agree with the post from earlier- everything in moderation.
  • dragonsfaerie
    Options
    Hate the taste so it's water and Crystal Light for me. 38 lbs and counting.
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    My Dr. told me she would rather I drink regular than diet any day but to limit mine (personally for now) to 3 cans a day. I was drinking 12 or more cans of Mt. Dew and if I were to just stop I would get migraines (which I did last time) and have a crash. And slowly get rid of the soda all together. Well I am down to 2 a day now and by this time next week I want to be down to 1.
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I drink Coke Zero but only about 3 or 4 times a week...Hasn't stopped my weight loss...Sometimes I just need a fizzy drink....
  • SpitfireStacey
    SpitfireStacey Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Of course they are not good for you. But i personally drink diet soda, because the only other thing I really drink is water, I would rather eat my calories. Diet soda has 0 calories, so it does not cause you to gain weight. As long as you stay within your calorie limit, it should not affect your weight loss.

This. Exactly. I have a coke zero every day. Sometimes two, sometimes only half... I need to open one so I can take my vitamin (they taste SO bad that I need the fiz to help them down) and then sometimes I leave it somewhere and forget it, other times I guzzle it down and have another. I don't think it'll really hurt as long as you're drinking your 8+ glasses of water as well to keep the bloat down.
  • cthoma70
    cthoma70 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I dont drink diet sodas but I do add art. sweeters to my oatmeal. I increased my oatmeal intake to lose more weight and gained 5 pounds and stayed until 1200 calories a day. IMO art. sweeters and diet soda in exceed will cause weight gain. I have cut out the sweeters and losing wieght so for me, art sweeters are bad
  • dsc32209
    dsc32209 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    As long as you drink plenty of water, it shouldn't be a problem. Soda doesn't hydrate you like water,
  • Lainn
    Lainn Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Diet soda may not have the calories, but you have to ask yourself "Why?". It has been chemically altered to be diet.

I would encourage you to research splenda, aspartame, and other artificial sweeteners. They can do corrosive damage to your body over years and in general are not good for you. Hence the artificial part. If you are wanting to lose weight by having healthy eating habits then I would say absolutely "no" to diet drinks or anything with artificial sweeteners. But in the end it comes down to personal preference.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I drink them. They don't make me crave other sweets. They just help me space out meals/snacks if I'm bored. I have extra calcium carbonate supplements to counteract the phosporus in the sodas, though.

Now that I finally got used to diet sodas, the regular ones taste gross and syrupy to me.
  • mommygirl81
    Options
    When I quit drinking Diet Coke I lost 4 lbs that week. I drink them occasionally now as a treat but they taste weird.