diet soda or no diet soda

Options

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I wish people would stop acting like nutritional benefits should be the ONLY reason we eat/drink things.

Sod that!

We eat and drink things because they TASTE GOOD! How do you put a value on something that makes this whole journey a lot more manageable, and may even stop you falling off, giving up, binging, regaining all the weight, and ending up really, REALLY unhealthy?

Take the stick out of your *kitten* and get some flavour! :D
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

I'll give ya somethin to eat that has some flavor

ZING!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

I'll give ya somethin to eat that has some flavor

ZING!

Hmm..yeah...i could have worded that better... =/
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I had a really good answer the last time around. I should've saved it.
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I wish people would stop acting like nutritional benefits should be the ONLY reason we eat/drink things.

I wish we didn't live in a world where we obtained any sort of pleasure from food. It'd me a lot more manageable if we ate because we had to, not because we wanted to....

Though now that I'm saying that, there's likely a reason why food tastes good, probably a similar reason as to why sex feels goood..
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I wish we didn't live in a world where we obtained any sort of pleasure from food.

I would hate to live in that world.
  • anyonebutmehaha
    Options
    Love the guilt trip post (long assed one too).

Niner isn't advocating LIVING on these foods. Having them once in awhile isn't bad.

You use TOOTHPASTE right? It's actually poison in large armounts. But we accidently injest small amounts of it everyday/

i hit post and went to gym, knew the minions would be posting whilst i was gone.

1- my post actually wasn't that long the ingredients took up most of the space. ahhh okay maybe i was a bit wordy, sorry i'm a native NY-er~ i talk fast, think fast and type fast. you win that point, i should've made my post shorter.

2- Niner (guess you're on first name terms, lol) isn't "advocating" (your word, not mine but is a very good word to use here) these products? then explain why he has something like 25 posts on this thread coming back and pouncing on anyone that dares to say anything negative about the poison known as diet soda? complete w/ links too (as i explained in my original post anyone can post links to back up anything, we could have a link war all day, proves nothing). that is not advocating? check the dictionary.

3- no sorry sweetie i do not use poisonous toothpaste. i'm actually a bit weird as i like to have a large assortment of oral hygiene products with name brands ranging from Auromere to Tom's of Maine to Sea Salt. etc. none will do harm if ingested. actually i don't *think* there is anything in my home that if ingested would kill you? (besides another human there is a wide assortment of different species in my home that it is my responsibility to heal, keep safe, not harm).
  • anyonebutmehaha
    Options

If you read the article, studies weren't only done by Hall. I also quoted EFSA and Ramazzini Foundation. Are they unreliable too?

~lol,i'm not going to play quote/link wars w/ you. it is a foolish game that no one can win. (and btw posting links and actually having the education to fully understand them are 2 different things).
    can you honestly sit there and look at your McRib (from another thread) and diet coke lunch and think it is good for you?
    Yes. I make a smiley face when I eat them and drink them. Feel good place.

~well if you practiced true clean eating like i do then you would react like i did the one and only time i tasted any McDonld's product- spit out that first horrid bite and threw the rest in the trash. i did eat a few of the french fries but i felt like i had gotten enough salt for the month and they left this rancid grease coating in my mouth. *shudder*
    why oh why do you equate healthy food as "sad" and food and drink that any 12 years old knows is not good for you as "happy"? it is that mentality that keeps these companies rolling out the crap to make America fat and unhealthy. i was not sad when i was typing last past eating my hummus- i was loving every bite. it tasted "clean" and being someone that was raised on clean eating my taste buds find no happiness in something like diet soda- it tastes like harsh chemicals w/ bubbles to me.
    I've done my research. I've also lived my research. 40+ years of eating Mcdonald's and no issues. Not one. Same with diet soda. If your choice is to live as "healthy" as possible and eat nothing but natural foods, then have at it. I eat what I want in moderation (especially the high saturated fatty foods of my culture) and enjoy it. Health to me is about living a life with fun and happiness, not eating natural whole foods for the rest of my life. Unhappiness isn't being healthy.

~lol, no harm that you know of. it's not so much the 1st 40 years that the effects are demonstrated- watch out for that 2nd 40 though....
    and again the mentality that unhealthy food/drink is somehow tied to "happiness" and "fun"....you've swallowed the kool-aid of advertising dude. you must deserve a break today....maybe a McDonald's Happy Meal? hahaha.
    I've made no claims to being a nutritional expert. In fact I've even stated that most trainers aren't qualified to teach it. You seem to think that I'm an expert when no such claims have been made. I just post scientific information to back claims I make.

~then take the nutrition part out of your sig line~ "Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition" cause that sure implies that you are an expert on nutrition.

Where in this thread, or any thread about Mcdonald's and diet soda have I claimed they are healthy? NONE. You are implying that's what I've said when it's not true. I've stated over and over and over and over again, get in your essentials (protein, carbs, fats) vitamins and minerals, water, etc. and anything else you eat should be fine as long as you stay in calorie limits.
    Don't need the "health police" to tell people they know what's bad for them. They know.

~where? ooooh let's see, how about every post you've made on this thread defending such products (complete w/ links on how they "aren't bad for you") -that is exactly what you've stated over and over again here. please- think of what you are advocating and to whom the majority of the audience is here. (oh crap, there's that 'do no harm' thing again). if everyone on this site was the model of 'moderation' for "the high saturated fatty foods of your culture" there would not be the need for weight loss tickers all over the place. sorry but someone has to have the balls to offer rebuttals to your singing the praises of crap food and reinforcing the ideology that they equal happiness. you want to pin the label of "health police" on me, whatever. just please consider what mentality you are so strongly defending and what label might get pinned on you.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    First off, nobody is "singing the praises." Food is not good or bad. Food is food. No food, when consumed in a healthy, moderate amount, will hurt you, unless you have some kind of food allergy or intolerance to it. Eat "clean" if you like, but from what I know, the vast majority of people enjoy eating a varied diet, with lots of different foods, some healthy, some less so. I enjoy cooking a multitude of different foods, ranging from organic hummus that I make at home, to the occasional fast food burger. I have an extremely varied palette, I enjoy all kinds of food and flavors. I get all the nutrition I need from the foods I eat, and I know that as long as all of my vitamin and mineral needs are met, I can partake in a slice of homemade cheesecake, or potato chips, or french fries, or a cheeseburger, as long as they fit into my calorie goals. That's called LIVING. I'm not dieting.

Also, since when does studying something imply expertise? You're building a straw man.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,645 Member
    Options
    2- Niner (guess you're on first name terms, lol) isn't "advocating" (your word, not mine but is a very good word to use here) these products? then explain why he has something like 25 posts on this thread coming back and pouncing on anyone that dares to say anything negative about the poison known as diet soda? complete w/ links too (as i explained in my original post anyone can post links to back up anything, we could have a link war all day, proves nothing). that is not advocating? check the dictionary.
    This is like a similar debate I had with another person on another board. So I'll let you hear it and then try again.
    The debate was on steroids and my opposition made claims that it caused heart disease, stroke, liver failure, etc. I posted numerous scientific and Journals of Medicine studies showing that it wasn't true. Now based on that are you going to say that I advocate for steroids? Quite the contrary. I don't advocate for them at all. I think that they end up being a crutch and people who use them for vanity purposes will never get off them. But I don't listen to bogus claims just because everyone THINKS steroids are dangerous because of pseudoscience and media reports.
    You can say all the negative things you want, but if it doesn't happen to true or if the claim is exaggerated, then it should be corrected. Nothing wrong with knowing actual truth.
    Believe me at one time I believed as a "health nut". No processed, no junk, no soda, so sweets, no sugar, etc. because that was what was pounded in my head for years. But then I was only listening to opinions and not researching actual clinical studies or data. Once I did, I found out a lot of what I was spoon fed was exaggerated and many times false.
    And links I post will usually have clinical studies. Not opinions. There's a big difference. You can deny someone's opinion, but to try to deny actual scientific studies that have been reviewed is just claiming ignorance. I choose not to be the latter.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    ~lol,i'm not going to play quote/link wars w/ you. it is a foolish game that no one can win. (and btw posting links and actually having the education to fully understand them are 2 different things).
    So you're saying that I'm too dense to understand actual clinical studies. Wow, nice mountain you sit on.
    ~well if you practiced true clean eating like i do then you would react like i did the one and only time i tasted any McDonld's product- spit out that first horrid bite and threw the rest in the trash. i did eat a few of the french fries but i felt like i had gotten enough salt for the month and they left this rancid grease coating in my mouth. *shudder*
    why oh why do you equate healthy food as "sad" and food and drink that any 12 years old knows is not good for you as "happy"? it is that mentality that keeps these companies rolling out the crap to make America fat and unhealthy. i was not sad when i was typing last past eating my hummus- i was loving every bite. it tasted "clean" and being someone that was raised on clean eating my taste buds find no happiness in something like diet soda- it tastes like harsh chemicals w/ bubbles to me.
    You're not me or anyone else. Your choice of TASTE is subjective. Next thing you know you'll be trying to get me to quit eating my cultural foods that I identify with my ethnicity. Again, you MUST be better than me.:laugh:
    I've never implied that healthy food is "sad". I have stated that eating healthy food DOESN'T always equate to being healthy. You can eat healthy food an be obese/overweight. You can eat junk food and be healthy. Find your happy medium.
    I eat quite "healthy" about 80% of the time and the other 20% I splurge on whatever I want.
    ~lol, no harm that you know of. it's not so much the 1st 40 years that the effects are demonstrated- watch out for that 2nd 40 though....
    and again the mentality that unhealthy food/drink is somehow tied to "happiness" and "fun"....you've swallowed the kool-aid of advertising dude. you must deserve a break today....maybe a McDonald's Happy Meal? hahaha.
    You're just feel bad that you don't have my great genetics! Average age of death in my family is 87. And not from heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, dementia or any disease. I get physicals EVERY year. Blood, heart scan, weight check, and even fitness tests provided by my gym. If my doctor notices any issues I would be informed.
    Look up dinuguan, kare kare or chicharone. These are native to my ethnic background. Not even close to being healthy. We serve it at family get togethers and parties. It's tastes really good and I have happiness and fun with my family over dinner. Please pass the koolaid with aspartame in it. Thanks for playing though.

~then take the nutrition part out of your sig line~ "Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition" cause that sure implies that you are an expert on nutrition.
    Press ignore if it bothers you. For some reason you think all I do here is tell people to eat junk food for ALL their meals. Again, I've never advocated that. Find a post ANYWHERE on this site or threads that said that I have. You may choose to ignore me. If it irks you, then it's your issue to deal with.
    ~where? ooooh let's see, how about every post you've made on this thread defending such products (complete w/ links on how they "aren't bad for you") -that is exactly what you've stated over and over again here. please- think of what you are advocating and to whom the majority of the audience is here. (oh crap, there's that 'do no harm' thing again). if everyone on this site was the model of 'moderation' for "the high saturated fatty foods of your culture" there would not be the need for weight loss tickers all over the place. sorry but someone has to have the balls to offer rebuttals to your singing the praises of crap food and reinforcing the ideology that they equal happiness. you want to pin the label of "health police" on me, whatever. just please consider what mentality you are so strongly defending and what label might get pinned on you.
    I defend against falsified information. There is NO evidence that having diet soda and junk food in moderation will kill you. To state that it will without any actual proof is a scare tactic used by people to try to persuade others to believe like they do. I don't use scare tactics. I post studies and proofs. If you have an issue, then get the studies to change their data. Science changes all the time, so I abide. I no longer believe Pluto is a planet.
    You want to live by eating nothing but organic, natural, whole, unprocessed foods that's your choice. It won't kill you. But neither will eating a McRib once in awhile.
    I haven't yet had a client who didn't have a favorite "unhealthy" food that they wouldn't give up. And I don't tell them too either. Why? Because I know that deprivation of a favorite is the demise for many a person who take on a weight loss program. If they can have their favorite "unhealthy" food in moderation, and not gain weight, have good physicals, etc. then they will achieve their goal of weight loss and not feel as if they had to give up everything to do it. I can live with that.

You don't like my posts, hit the ignore button.

Happy Holidays! I'm going to go eat some rice and flanken ribs with raw bell pepper now (is that better for you?):wink:

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    i hit post and went to gym, knew the minions would be posting whilst i was gone.
    To refer to others here as "minions" is pretty low. Just because they happen to believe what I do doesn't make them my minions. Kinda says something about you. If you're really that sad, I will lend you a shoulder to cry on. For real.

IDEA Fitness member
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    A little information regarding aspartame. There are too many questions about the safety of Aspartame, I wouldn't drink diet sodas. But, once in awhile to have a diet soda is fine. Do your own research so you can make your own decision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvFRLIjOLOU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F66P277Eyac
  • anniewinter
    Options
    To the original poster,

I live in Aus, and over here even the drinks that have diet writen on them hinder someone's effort. I don't know were you are in the world but over here we have Zero drinks. There still not healthy but their healthier then Diet. I hope this helps.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    A little information regarding aspartame. There are too many questions about the safety of Aspartame, I wouldn't drink diet sodas. But, once in awhile to have a diet soda is fine. Do your own research so you can make your own decision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvFRLIjOLOU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F66P277Eyac
    And to counter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGEp2YT7Bjg

More than 500 studies have been done on Aspartame and found it same to use.

IDEA Fitness member

[/quote]
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    First off, nobody is "singing the praises." Food is not good or bad. Food is food. No food, when consumed in a healthy, moderate amount, will hurt you, unless you have some kind of food allergy or intolerance to it. Eat "clean" if you like, but from what I know, the vast majority of people enjoy eating a varied diet, with lots of different foods, some healthy, some less so. I enjoy cooking a multitude of different foods, ranging from organic hummus that I make at home, to the occasional fast food burger. I have an extremely varied palette, I enjoy all kinds of food and flavors. I get all the nutrition I need from the foods I eat, and I know that as long as all of my vitamin and mineral needs are met, I can partake in a slice of homemade cheesecake, or potato chips, or french fries, or a cheeseburger, as long as they fit into my calorie goals. That's called LIVING. I'm not dieting.

Here, here!! :drinker:
  • courtneyt77
    courtneyt77 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    However the amount of sodium in some diet soda's could effect your weight loss if you retain water from to much sodium intake...
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    However the amount of sodium in some diet soda's could effect your weight loss if you retain water from to much sodium intake...
    Possibly. If you're drinking enough water though and making sure your electrolytes are balanced, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Marquettedominos
    Marquettedominos Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    IMO all sodas are so processed . I have only had water for the last 6 months...
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    IMO all sodas are so processed . I have only had water for the last 6 months...
    It's actually a fact. But then again practically anything we put in our mouth gets "processed" one way or the other. Even bottled water.

IDEA Fitness member