Greek Yogurt Suggestions

Options
ninjapixie87
ninjapixie87 Posts: 124 Member
I just switched to eating greek yogurt for the added protein. I've noticed that the yogurt that is REALLY packed with protein is the plain flavor. But I can't stand eating plain yogurt...I think it's nasty. (Personally, I mostly just eat strawberry flavored yogurt.)

Does anyone have suggestions for what/how to add stuff in to plain yogurt that won't add a lot of calories?

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    frozen blueberries sometimes

I add chocolate protein powder (MRM whey) to fage yogurt and its like pudding! Fage brand isa the best!
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup or less of Kashi Go Lean crunch cereal.
  • Felbsies
    Felbsies Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Today I added granola, blueberries, and blackberries. It was like dessert for breakfast!!
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Granola, dried fruit, spoonful of jam, honey, nuts.
    My favorite is topping some Fage with chopped nuts and a bit of honey.
  • soymilkcoffee
    Options
    You can always get flavored greek yogurt. I also hate plain yogurt, yuck. :)
    Stonyfield Oikos is great... about 100 calories, no fat and 10 g of protein!

To plain yogurt, I would add a bit of agave or honey and some berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries...).
  • hezzyfoofie
    hezzyfoofie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit. Low sugar jam. I sometimes add a bit of vanilla extract.
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    dark chocolate chips are delicious in the greek yogurt! I don't like the plain either! It is like sour cream!
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    dark chocolate chips are delicious in the greek yogurt! I don't like the plain either! It is like sour cream!

I actually use it instead of sour cream in all my recipes that call for it. It works great!

As for mixing it for breakfast/snack I add all kind of things: berries (all kinds, fresh or frozen), nutella, peanut butter, nesquick, honey & vanilla, strawberry preserves. Haven't tried the chocolate chips or protein powder... need to try it next!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    lately i have been using the vanilla flavored greek yogurt, but you could easily use plain with a drop of vanilla extract to make this recipe:

4 ounces greek yogurt
    1/2 cup canned pumpkin
    dash of cinnamon
    1 Tbsp. chopped pecans
    1 tsp honey

stir it up and enjoy!
  • kylesmom94
    kylesmom94 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just started adding about 1/3 a packet of crystal light drink mix to plain greek yogurt. I tried the raspberry ice last week and it was great. I have the strawberry banana mix today. This way you get a flavored yogurt and you can buy a big carton of plain pretty cheap at Costco or Sams.
  • amrithav
    amrithav Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    banana + a little salt + powdered peanut (not the same as peanut butter) - yum. The salt brings out the sweetness of the banana. peanut butter is optional.

Oh or you can add any sauteed vegetable(cucumber/greenbeans/broccoli anything really)/greens - makes for a really filling snack.

add a lil honey, some nuts, fruit or granola. I tried the vanilla/raspberry essence too - but prefer the plain version.

enjoy!
  • IrishFanVSG
    IrishFanVSG Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You could get some of the sugar free Torani syrups in whatever flavor you like. They do not add any calories but add flavor.
  • dcfl2012
    Options
    I like Trader Joe's black seedless grapes(I cut the grapes in half ) in Trader Joe's Greek Plain Yogurt :)
  • reannont
    reannont Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i put a little honey or agave sweetner and some cinnamon in the plain.. and its pretty good.
  • kybrandyb
    kybrandyb Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    the flavored chobani brand is excellent without adding anything ! my favorites are the pineapple and black cherry , i have one every morning :) just have to stir it well
  • currlygirrl
    currlygirrl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I put a teaspoon or so of sugar free pudding powder with a packet of truvia for a little sweetness into half a cup of the plain non fat stuff...it is Awesome!! Then I add some chopped fruit to that as well for a well balanced snack under 150 calories. I have tried the lemon, white chocolate, cheesecake and the banana, I'll say that the banana wasn't my fav but I'm not a huge banana fan either.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    the flavored chobani brand is excellent without adding anything ! my favorites are the pineapple and black cherry , i have one every morning :) just have to stir it well

I like Chobani too. Strawberry and Blueberry are my favorite. Note that some of the flavors are non fat, they have a 0% on the label, and some are 2%. Strawberry-Banana flavor is 2%.
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I too hate the bland taste of Greek yogurt, but I have found it works EXCELLENTLY in smoothies. I usually blend it with some fruit and almond milk. The yogurt gives it a wonderfully creamy texture and the almond milk and fruit taste delicious.

If you're really looking for a sweet treat, I blend a cup of Greek yogurt, almond milk and then some dry Sugar-Free, Fat-Free pudding mix, (I don't use exact measurements, I just blend a little bit at a time until it tastes great) to make a thick, yummy pudding-milkshake kind of treat. Best part is there are TONS of flavors, so I never get bored! Cheesecake is my favorite. :)
  • try2basunbeam
    Options
    Speaking as an *ex* yogurt hater:

I love full fat fage with SF coffee syrups. My favorite is the french vanilla. Sometimes I add fresh fruit as well but most times a dollop of 100% fruit spread like Simply Fruit. The jelly tastes good mixed in even without the SF syrup. The other day I mixed in some SF chocolate syrup like they use for making mochas, and that was amazing. Thought i was cheating on my diet for a second there! lol Once you get more used to the plain yougurt, you can just add a little sweetener of choice and it'll taste good, but it took a few months before I got to that point!

In the past when I really wanted some major protein power, I mixed in some Jay Robb protein powder. That was tasty, but the texture was grainy if I added too much of the protein.

PS: mixing that SF chocolate syrup with a couple eggs/ egg whites and microwaing it for 45 secs. in a coffee mug makes a nice chocolate soufle in seconds!
  • sailonby
    Options
    I add in either a half or full (depending on how much yoghurt I'm having) packet of sugar free/fat free jello mix (the powder you buy in a box). It makes it taste really good and changes the texture a bit.

Try freezing the yoghurt, too!