shirataki noodles

Options

Replies

• Kats1
    Kats1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know some people that love and eat these noodles a lot. I don't like them at all and I can't get past the aroma they have. I think it's personal preference.
  • carmencar11
    Options
    thanks for all your posts. I opened them and they did have that fishy smell, but I washed and washed and threw them in the tomato sauce (didn't read this till now so I didnt' dry them). It was okay. I didn't hate it, but I think I will take up the suggestion of doing them in a stir fry. I will also try again and dry them. Im trying to go raw, but every once in awhile Iove spaghetti so I thought these would be better than wheat noodles. thanks again for the responses. Carmen
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    i love them. i have to order them on the internet as there is only 1 grocery store here and it doesn't stock them.

By the way they aren't actually zero calories. American law allows companies to say they are zero calories if they are under a certain amount.

In Australia they have to use different packaging as they have to say the true amount of calories that are in them.
    So just so you all know, Miracle noodles have 10 calories per packet.

Which is of course hardly anything. But i still count it.

I think they are particularly nice in Asian dishes. Anything you would normally use rice noodles for. My favourite is Pho vietnamese soup. I'm going to try a Thai beef noodle salad for lunch today.

I am totally addicted to them, its making my goal calories so easy to reach in a day.
  • j4zzy
    j4zzy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I had them tonight for dinner. :D
    I boil them for a few minutes, drain them, heat up some chicken broth and put them in it. Sprinkle on some everglades seasoning (you can use salt or pepper or whatever you want) and sometimes a tablespoon of soy sauce. It tastes almost exactly like ramen noodles with the everglades seasoning. o_o
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I tried them and almost threw up because the texture was so bad. I had to spit the bite out. It was like eating rubber. I really really wanted to like them! Is there anyway to make them not be rubber like?
  • tinywithaBIGheart
    Options
    at first when i tryed them i really didnt like them - too slimy . But i got use to them , now i usually melt in a garlic & herb laughing cow cheese and it takes like alfredo :) sometimes ill add shredded low fat mozerella to it too .
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I tried them before and they were gross, then someone posted a recipe for them I used her recipe (big bowl of noodles) and they were great I rinse them then drained them - and what I do now is put some pam in a non stick pan and sautee them first (gets out the excess water) and then with mix with stir fry veg or last night with pasta sauce I haven't tried the Yam ones I can't find them I've been using the Tofu ones Spagetti ones

Somehow to me the rubbery texture is less when you sautee first
  • sras13
    Options
    I tried them, they are very expensive and very gross.. They are slimy and chewy. Don't waste your money.
  • chaineyart
    Options
    bump
  • Strobins05
    Options
    LOVE these noodles! I do a veggie stir fry with them twice a week. I currently use baby Bok Choy, onions, baby mushrooms, sliced carrots and the spaghetti noodles mixed with some teriyaki sauce and a splash of liquid smoke. You can use any sauce you like! I do a herb and garlic sauce with the fettuccini noodles and add grilled chx or shrimp. YUMMO! you cna play around and use any veggies of your choice.

Ingredients:
    Olive oil spray or any spray oil of your choice
    One whole onion
    2 baby bok Choy bundles
    container of baby mushrooms or half
    two carrots peeled and slithered or sliced
    two packs of shirataki noodles
    Soy and teriyaki sauce to taste
    Garlic powder, white or ground pepper, season of your choice

Rinse noodles in a coriander over hot water the pre boil in a pot for five minutes/ put into coriander to drain until needed
    Pre rinse all of your veggies except onion
    Peel and chop your onion into dices
    Twist off the top leaf part of bok Choy and chop as you would greens and chop stalk into small pieces as well
    Peel carrot and slice to your likings (I use my apple peeler and make thin slithers)

Spray a large nonstick Pan with oil and add onions stir for a few minutes then add carrots, stir then add bok Choy
    Stir for a few minutes then add noodles and continue to stir for a few more minutes
    Add mushrooms and sauces of your choice. One pound of this is less than 200 calories per serving! Yummo!
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    LOVE these noodles! I do a veggie stir fry with them twice a week. I currently use baby Bok Choy, onions, baby mushrooms, sliced carrots and the spaghetti noodles mixed with some teriyaki sauce and a splash of liquid smoke. You can use any sauce you like! I do a herb and garlic sauce with the fettuccini noodles and add grilled chx or shrimp. YUMMO! you cna play around and use any veggies of your choice.

Ingredients:
    Olive oil spray or any spray oil of your choice
    One whole onion
    2 baby bok Choy bundles
    container of baby mushrooms or half
    two carrots peeled and slithered or sliced
    two packs of shirataki noodles
    Soy and teriyaki sauce to taste
    Garlic powder, white or ground pepper, season of your choice

Rinse noodles in a coriander over hot water the pre boil in a pot for five minutes/ put into coriander to drain until needed
    Pre rinse all of your veggies except onion
    Peel and chop your onion into dices
    Twist off the top leaf part of bok Choy and chop as you would greens and chop stalk into small pieces as well
    Peel carrot and slice to your likings (I use my apple peeler and make thin slithers)

Spray a large nonstick Pan with oil and add onions stir for a few minutes then add carrots, stir then add bok Choy
    Stir for a few minutes then add noodles and continue to stir for a few more minutes
    Add mushrooms and sauces of your choice. One pound of this is less than 200 calories per serving! Yummo!

Beautiful!! Thanks :)
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I love these noodles. I use the tofu kind which have 40 calories for the entire bag!

IMG_2101-1.jpg

Noodles, chicken and mushrooms in a chili garlic peanut sauce. :smile:
  • carmencar11
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe. Im going to try that. And that picture below looks sooooooo delicious. :0)
  • pearlymae
    pearlymae Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PinUpGirlAtHeart
    PinUpGirlAtHeart Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have some recipes in my hungry girl book that calls for those if you want 'em. Haven't tried them, but I have yet to find stuff like that that I need. It also has the nutrional info with each recipe.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I have found these noodles in my local asian supermarket- and they are also known as Konnyaku (Keep an eye out for this). They are found in the refrigerated section (as they are packed in water).

They are made from the Konjac yam. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konjac

I would only use these in oriental style dishes that would normally use an oriental noodle (Like egg/rice/udon) and not as a substitute for pasta (I know they call pasta 'noodles' in the US). Make sure you rinse them very well prior to cooking.

Try in oriental soups like pho, or chicken noodle soup, or in stir fry's. But my fave:

-1 pack rinsed shiritaki/konnyaku noodles- cooked as per pack instructions and cooled.
    - 1 cup cucumber shavings (done with a veg peeler)
    - 1/2 carrot, shaved
    - 1 cup large cooked, peeled king prawns (or any large prawns, shrimp or squid).
    - 1 cup beansprouts
    - small handful fresh coriander (cilantro) chopped.
    - small handful fresh mint, chopped
    - 1/2 red onion, sliced thinly or 3 salad/spring onions chopped

Dressing:
    - 2 tbsp water
    - 1 tsp sugar/splenda
    - 1/2 fresh red chilli pepper, chopped fine
    - 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
    - juice of 1/2 a lime

Mix the ingredients together and toss in dressing.

Whole salad is only 140 calories and its HUGE :o) If you need to up the cals add chopped roasted peanuts and mix through.
  • jennymac41
    Options
    I have the tofu ones in the fridge - just bought them at safeway in the veggie section - where they keep the tofu. I have not tried them yet but plan on using them in a stirfry this weekend.

You can also buy them online at http://www.thelowcarbgrocery.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=132_137&osCsid=d59495a2b92d6c4b6b50b01cb89c2719 I have bought from these guys before (not the noodles though) and I have not had any problems.
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I know I'm way behind on this ... but I just tried these a few days ago and absolutely love them. I'd read about them on here and decided to try to find them... and lo and behold the health food store not 5 min from my apt had them on sale :) I think they smell a bit odd, but substitute wonderfully in place of pasta. And I'm definitely a pasta girl. So far I've had them in stir fry and also just with some marinara sauce. And only 20-25 cal per serving! New favorite item.
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Let them soak in some kind of broth over night, then blanch them or stir fry them.
    Their consistancy is weird. I do not suggest use as a "pasta" more as a noodle with a stir fry.