Brown rice that doesn't taste awful?

Options

Replies

• heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    How about quinoa? It's a stronger taste - nuttier - but I much prefer it to brown rice. I was disappointed when I made brown rice, too. GL! :)
  • Cathy92
    Cathy92 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Lunenburg brown rice. I like it's mild, nutty flavour. I don't eat as much brown rice with a meal as I do white rice as the brown rice is really filling. I don't use instant rice, but use an Asian rice cooker with a lid that fastens down tightly. You need to add more water to brown rice than white rice when cooking it...experiment to get the right consistency. It tastes fine.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you're located but trader joes has so good brown rice. I couldn't stand the stuff but after trying there's I could hang with it lol
  • KokomoJoe
    Options
    Instead of plain white rice, move to white basmati rice. It has a wonderful aroma and IMO find it better than plain white rice. For brown rice add chicken stock and vegetable stock add spices and cook. I won't eat white rice unless I have to, but love the basmati rice. Smells like popcorn when it is cooking.
  • gdb86
    gdb86 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of Near East products. They have whole grain options too and the seasonings are already in there. There is a brown rice pilaf that is delish and they also have some couscous and quinoa options as well! :)
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I agree; if you don't like it, don't eat it.

I love brown rice. I use the cheapest brand from Walmart. I chop up onions and bell peppers and mushrooms (if I have them) and saute those in a bit of oil...then add the water and rice and cook...it's one cup water to one cup rice but usually takes a bit more water for the rice to get soft. I also add in some salt, and a lot of seasonings, garlic powder, onion powder, red peppers and fresh cilantro if I have it. Don't cook it until it is mushy if you don't like the mush, keep it a little firmer. I don't like mine mushy either. When it is as soft as I desire, I add a can of dice tomatoes (usually the Italian kind) and a can of tomato paste. Cook a little longer till it's all cooked in good but not till it's mushy. I divide into bowls and eat all during the week.

I don't like mine mushy either. I cooked mine in a rice steamer last week and it got really mushy. My white rice usually didn't do that, so I've decided in a skillet on the stove top is the best for me.....but putting less water in the steamer would keepit from cooking so mushy.

I tried quonia last week and totally did NOT like it..the taste and the texture.
  • amom1986
    Options
    Brown rice is quite tasty if you add curry seasoning/powder, garlic powder, thyme and rosemary (seperately, of course). You may also want to try boiling it with olive oil and topping it with Smart Balance (butter substitute). As far as the "brand", I have purchased everything from Success, Uncle Ben's, Mahatma, Blue Ribbon and the local grocery chain generic LOL!!!...ALL of which worked out just fine! I hope this is of some help to you. :-)))
  • tanyaMax
    tanyaMax Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    you defitnately do NOT cook it like white rice. i made that mistake when i first switched and wondered why it would come out mushy and watery. this is how i cookl it and i like it.

*Rinse rice under cold water in strainer for about 30 sec.
    * BOIL WATER (use 3-4 cups for every one cup of rice)
    *ADD RICE
    *turn heat to medium and BOIL with NO LID for THOURTY MINUTES (stirring occasionally)
    *pour rice over STRAINER in kitchen sink
    *return to pot. OFF THE HEAT and PUT LID ON.
    *wait ten minutes, fluff, season and enjoy
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You might also try mixing some white and brown rice together and gradually add more brown rice to the mixture every time you cook it. I didn't like brown rice at first but I love it now and that's how I started acquiring a taste for it. My husband can't stand whole wheat spaghetti so I've started mixing it with regular pasta. Right now I'm at 25 regular/75 whole wheat mixture and he hasn't noticed the difference yet.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I like the taste and texture of brown rice better than white now - but it took a bit of getting used to it.
    However, my husband prefers white rice, so I tend to alternate between the two. If you aren't a big fan of it and you are eating wholegrains in other meals, then stick with white rice.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I have Kroger or Safeway's store brand... I mix in some cheese and herbs to give it a little more flavor... It's awesome and I love it's nutty taste!!
  • CalderaGal
    Options
    Try preparing it this way: Saute one cup dried long grain brown rice in 1 teas. sesame oil. When rice turns brown, add 2 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock. Bring to a boil, cover, cook on low heat approx 50 minutes- maybe less where you are- I am at 6700 ft.
  • CalderaGal
    Options
    Try preparing it this way: Saute one cup dried long grain brown rice in 1 teas. sesame oil. When rice turns brown, add 2 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock. Bring to a boil, cover, cook on low heat approx 50 minutes- maybe less where you are- I am at 6700 ft.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Instead of plain white rice, move to white basmati rice. It has a wonderful aroma and IMO find it better than plain white rice. For brown rice add chicken stock and vegetable stock add spices and cook. I won't eat white rice unless I have to, but love the basmati rice. Smells like popcorn when it is cooking.

^^This, for sure. I adore basmati rice.
  • dagmar68
    Options
    I'd say give it another try definitely, maybe even mixing it with white rice as was suggested, and use stock and seasoning if you're gonna eat it on its own.

Personally I never really liked white rice in the first place (I thought it had no taste, it was just something to accompany whatever meat/sauce I had), but since I started eating brown rice I've found that I'm enjoying the rice itself too and need less meat/sauce to go with it, even on its own if cooked with stock / seasoning.

I had a bigger problem switching to wholewheat pasta, I ate a LOT of pasta at the time and the first couple of times I tried wholewheat I hated it and gave up, but I decided to try again some time later, and stuck with it, and now I like it just as much as normal pasta and if given the choice, I'll always go for wholewheat.
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I like Trader Joes organic brown rice, it's in the frozen section.. just microwave for 3 minutes and it's prepared just right! Taste wonderful.
  • ConkreteChic
    ConkreteChic Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you're located but trader joes has so good brown rice. I couldn't stand the stuff but after trying there's I could hang with it lol

I second this. I used to hate brown rice, and it also takes a freaking long time to cook on the stovetop, but someone told me about Trader Joe's frozen brown rice and it is actually really tasty. Plus it's super quick to make - 3 min in the microwave in the bag. You can get it in the freexer section at TJ's.

Yummy
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I cook my brown rice with lentils. The lentils take a little longer so I'll boil them for a little while first then throw the rice in there, add a little bit of soup seasoning, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.

It tastes great and the soup seasoning takes away the cardboard-ish flavor. You can add a little bit of chicken or vegetable broth to it also while it's cooking.

But I do agree with the previous posters. If you just don't like brown rice then you don't have to eat it!
  • Didaniel
    Didaniel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Lunenburg brown rice. I like it's mild, nutty flavour. I don't eat as much brown rice with a meal as I do white rice as the brown rice is really filling. I don't use instant rice, but use an Asian rice cooker with a lid that fastens down tightly. You need to add more water to brown rice than white rice when cooking it...experiment to get the right consistency. It tastes fine.

I also like this brand. As a matter of fact I didn't like brown rice at all until I tried this brand. It's worth a try.
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I think brown basmati or jasmine rice tastes much better than just plan brown rice. However, I would never eat brown rice plain. I put some salt and butter in it when I have it as a side dish. Sometimes I'll mix it with wild rice and cook it in bullion/broth to make a pilaf. Sometimes I'll just use it a base for stir fries.