Low Carb headaches

Options
Ugh...I started restricting my carbs and sugars, and I have an annoying headache. I know this is a side effect and will go away soon, but I feel weird...
Also, is there a way where a way I can track my sugar alcohols?

Replies

• LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    It might not go away. The one and only time I tried a low carb diet, I was miserable. I lasted a month. That was a long time ago, when Atkins first became popular. I decided I like feeding my brain glucose.
  • Teaeli
    Options
    This happened to my brother with the headaches. You need to add more carbs to your diet. Your body needs carbs. Just make sure they are healthy carbs. You will see the headaches go away when you do this. Pain is your bodies way of telling you that something is wrong.
  • angelapolite
    Options
    This happened to my brother with the headaches. You need to add more carbs to your diet. Your body needs carbs. Just make sure they are healthy carbs. You will see the headaches go away when you do this. Pain is your bodies way of telling you that something is wrong.

I'm not doing the super low, Induction phase. I'm at about 50 grams, from over 200 grams a day.
  • WilliamsPeggy
    WilliamsPeggy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Maybe I'm having the same problem. I made really healthy choices last week and have been having headaches. I thought it might be the weather but maybe it's the sudden lower carbs. Like you, I'm not "no carb," just much lower and switched to whole grain stuff. I hope you feel better without having to eat bad stuff again.
  • WilliamsPeggy
    Options
    Interesting. Maybe I'm having the same problem. I made really healthy choices last week and have been having headaches. I thought it might be the weather but maybe it's the sudden lower carbs. Like you, I'm not "no carb," just much lower and switched to whole grain stuff. I hope you feel better without having to eat bad stuff again.
  • WilliamsPeggy
    Options
  • WilliamsPeggy
    Options
  • WilliamsPeggy
    Options
    wow. obviously something is wrong with my laptop. I didn't mean to post that 4 times. Sorry.
  • angelapolite
    Options
    wow. obviously something is wrong with my laptop. I didn't mean to post that 4 times. Sorry.

HAHA, it's fine. You're "bump"ing me up! :flowerforyou:
  • knewbill72
    knewbill72 Posts: 133 Member
    Options

Yeah, there is something wrong and that his her body is addicted to using carbs as a primary fuel source and wants to continue down that unhealthy road.

Reducing her carb intake to where she is now is better for her not worse. 50-100 grams a day is plenty for anyone.

One of the ways to combat the carb withdrawal headaches is to up your fat content. This will also help calm carb cravings too.
  • angelapolite
    Options

Yeah, there is something wrong and that his her body is addicted to using carbs as a primary fuel source and wants to continue down that unhealthy road.

Reducing her carb intake to where she is now is better for her not worse. 50-100 grams a day is plenty for anyone.

One of the ways to combat the carb withdrawal headaches is to up your fat content. This will also help calm carb cravings too.

Someone on MY side! Thanks! I have been eating fats, I just started this on Saturday, so it's the beginning...I've done thie WOE in the past, and the headaches subside in about a week.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Her body is addicted to using CHO as the primary fuel source? increased CHO intake leads to increase CHO oxidation, how is that being addicted?

50-100g of CHO a day is plenty for anyone? care to back up that statement?
  • angelapolite
    Options

Her body is addicted to using CHO as the primary fuel source? increased CHO intake leads to increase CHO oxidation, how is that being addicted?

50-100g of CHO a day is plenty for anyone? care to back up that statement?

CHO=carbohydrates?
  • Acg67
    Options

CHO=carbohydrates?

correct
  • mushalek
    Options
    your body and BRAIN NEED at least 130g of cho a day to function properly. going from 200+ g a day to 50g a day = headache and body hating you
  • Acg67
    Options
    your body and BRAIN NEED at least 130g of cho a day to function properly. going from 200+ g a day to 50g a day = headache and body hating you

CHO is non essential...
  • angelapolite
    Options

Where do you get 130 grams from? My body is shifting from using carbs to using body fat as fuel. I feel this is more efficient.
  • mushalek
    Options
    strictly speaking yes thats true, i know your body can eventually start making its own form once it enters ketosis, i'm just saying if she's used to eating 200 +g and now is only consuming 50g then obviously her body isn't used to this, mainly her brain, causing the headaches, a slower approach to low carb would be more logical to give her body more time to adjust
  • mushalek
    Options

Where do you get 130 grams from? My body is shifting from using carbs to using body fat as fuel. I feel this is more efficient.

normal dietary guidelines
  • angelapolite
    Options
    strictly speaking yes thats true, i know your body can eventually start making its own form once it enters ketosis, i'm just saying if she's used to eating 200 +g and now is only consuming 50g then obviously her body isn't used to this, mainly her brain, causing the headaches, a slower approach to low carb would be more logical to give her body more time to adjust

I agree, my body is adjusting.