am I crazy? or is he?

Options

Replies

• violetsaresweet
    Options
    No. You are not doing anything wrong by suggesting your son to walk his dog to his father's house so it is not a big issue here. The big issue is if he was asked to walk the dog as a favor to you and his father is disagreeing with it.
  • LosingWeight2012
    LosingWeight2012 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Im not bashing your parenting. I just dont trust strangers around my kids. I hope that wasnt offensive. I read it back and thought it might be taken that way. Your ex sounds like a joke
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    In this day and age i wouldnt let my child walk down the road alone. If they did they better take a dog, stick, or something. Its a crazy world. I dont get the comment about you being over protective. I never let mine leave the yard alone unless i walk them there.
    This was my opinion of where he may be coming from. That's how it sounds in the opening statement. But I also agreed that you can't be too protective this day and age. Sadly even in our own homes with the internet. Sometimes I wish the world would chill a bit.
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    From a non-parenting perspective, I probably wouldn't let a kid walk my dog (even a puggle!) because kids aren't responsible enough to make sure the dog doesn't get hit by a car/pulls away from a leash/whatever. BUT I have no response to your actual question because I'm not a mom.
  • stcar
    stcar Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Im not bashing your parenting. I just dont trust strangers around my kids. I hope that wasnt offensive. I read it back and thought it might be taken that way. Your ex sounds like a joke
    not at all, it's only about a 5 or 6 minute walk between our houses and I was of the same mind as you up until about 6 months ago. it is a scary world out there, I make him carry a cell phone and he is 5'2" and 140 pounds, very sweet and responsible.
    oh, and yes my ex is a joke lol
  • stcar
    Options
    In this day and age i wouldnt let my child walk down the road alone. If they did they better take a dog, stick, or something. Its a crazy world. I dont get the comment about you being over protective. I never let mine leave the yard alone unless i walk them there.
    This was my opinion of where he may be coming from. That's how it sounds in the opening statement. But I also agreed that you can't be too protective this day and age. Sadly even in our own homes with the internet. Sometimes I wish the world would chill a bit.
    he was fine with the walk, just thought I was being mean by making him take the dog when my son complained about it..
  • LosingWeight2012
    Options
    These two kids on my street walk their pair of mastifs down the street and onto the main rd. The kids get yanked all over. My kids stay in the yard due to these dogs and the fact im paranoid.
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    These two kids on my street walk their pair of mastifs down the street and onto the main rd. The kids get yanked all over. My kids stay in the yard due to these dogs and the fact im paranoid.
    Or your just a good mom.:flowerforyou:
  • LosingWeight2012
    Options
    You are right. I was hurt assaulted by a man at 5 yrs old in sarasota fl. Took me right out of the driveway. Luckily mom called the cops and i was ok before anything too bad happened. He got 2 yrs for that. Had he gone all the way he probably would have killed me
  • katyejean
    katyejean Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I think it's a fair request to ask. Plus, if the dog is protective, it can benefit the child, no matter the age. I am assuming a good age because not many parents let their 5 year old's walk around the block. Unless you are in a very VERY good neighborhood. I don't think you should stress it. You are right, parents can't be "friends". That's why my generation and ones younger than me are becoming so completely worthless. Parents haven't been doing their jobs as PARENTS. I see every day a case of a mom smoking pot with her 17 year old daughter. WHAT PARENT DOES THAT?!
  • stcar
    Options
    Or your just a good mom.:flowerforyou:
    mastiffs are scary, yes. we have a puggle.
  • LosingWeight2012
    Options
    Thankyou. I dont know how to send a flower smiley on my nook but back at you.
  • stcar
    Options
    I think it's a fair request to ask. Plus, if the dog is protective, it can benefit the child, no matter the age. I am assuming a good age because not many parents let their 5 year old's walk around the block. Unless you are in a very VERY good neighborhood. I don't think you should stress it. You are right, parents can't be "friends". That's why my generation and ones younger than me are becoming so completely worthless. Parents haven't been doing their jobs as PARENTS. I see every day a case of a mom smoking pot with her 17 year old daughter. WHAT PARENT DOES THAT?!
    exactly, parents ask you to do something, kids roll there eyes or sigh or whatever, then they should do what they're told...like we all did when we were growing up. he's 11 and it's a good neighborhood. the way I see it, is once he's raised to be responsible and kind and gets a roof of his own over his head, then we can be friends. until then, its my job to parent him.
  • LosingWeight2012
    Options
    Those are so cute. Big dogs scare me. I sound like such a victem tonight but i was attacked by a doberman pincher when i was 9. Reflecting on my childhood is scary lol. Im not trying to bring you guys down. As far as your ex goes he might be jealous. He wants to break your rules to try to make you feel weak. You know hes probably bitter that he lost someone as pretty as you
  • stcar
    Options
    Those are so cute. Big dogs scare me. I sound like such a victem tonight but i was attacked by a doberman pincher when i was 9. Reflecting on my childhood is scary lol. Im not trying to bring you guys down. As far as your ex goes he might be jealous. He wants to break your rules to try to make you feel weak. You know hes probably bitter that he lost someone as pretty as you
    thank you that's sweet :) and I'm very sorry to hear about everything that you went through as a child!
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Yes.

LOL
  • LTGPSA
    Options
    Next time, make him carry the 50lb bag of bricks so he can compare.

Nice
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    depends on the age of the kid. I don't go for the My Way or the HIghway school of parenting, I feel its otherwise known as bullying. Whose dog is it? Who wants to have a dog? Is the boy keen on the dog anyway?
    Maybe he doesnt' even like the dog.
  • LTGPSA
    Options
    If your son is properly trained and responsible enough to be trusted to walk the dog - then I don't see an issue here (as far as you asking him to take the dog with him). It's a win-win, the dog needs a walk and your son is then not alone. The situation with your ex is likely a small piece of the big picture of why you are no longer together. Parenting between couples needs to be of a united front....said the lady who chose not to have kids. :wink: Point being, no you are not crazy. Kids need responsibilities during their growing up period IMHO. Hang in there Mom and don't let the ex's antics get to you. :flowerforyou:
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    It's funny how these stories bring back all the anger and bad feelings 14 years later...He's overriding your authority. Best to get rules straight in the beginning, otherwise, it gets worse...trust me on that!