Too many calories left at the end of the day, Help!

Options

Replies

• CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    See, i would say noooooooo to this, because i think it creates bad over eating habits.
    So what you guys are saying is that I should in fact eat to my daily cap everyday? And in that case, what if I work off 600 calories from working out, would I still need to eat 600 more calories to make up for the workout? Thanks for everyone's responses so far! I LOVE PEANUT BUTTER! =D
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Always eat your goal calories. And exercise calories. Lost 50 pounds in 5 months, and I've been in maintenance for the last 2 months. Starting in January I'm going to start back to lose the final 20 pounds by the summer. I'm proof that this system works, as long as you follow it the way it's meant to be.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    So what you guys are saying is that I should in fact eat to my daily cap everyday? And in that case, what if I work off 600 calories from working out, would I still need to eat 600 more calories to make up for the workout? Thanks for everyone's responses so far! I LOVE PEANUT BUTTER! =D

See, i would say noooooooo to this, because i think it creates bad over eating habits.

Honoring a calorie target with a deficit factored in creates bad over eating habits?

And the misinformation continues to spread....
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I wish I had this problem.......
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    Options
    No we are here for other reasons to. Tracking fitness, nutrients, watching sugar intake for diabetics, cutting back calories, increasing calories, etc. This girl may also be counting her calories incorrectly. What if she isnt entering her weights or sizes of food correctly? What if she isnt including all sauces, oils, drinks etc in her diet? What if she is incorrect on her calorie burning? Then she will over eat and gain fast. She needs to figure out why she is so far over and not hungry...the answer is not "just eat more".
    If you aren't hungry, dont eat. If you aren't hungry and you ate your minimum amount of calories, then i definitely wouldnt eat your exercise calories back. Your body will let you know if you need the cals or not.

If only that were true. We wouldn't need to be here logging calories, now would we?
  • rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Always eat your goal calories. And exercise calories. Lost 50 pounds in 5 months, and I've been in maintenance for the last 2 months. Starting in January I'm going to start back to lose the final 20 pounds by the summer. I'm proof that this system works, as long as you follow it the way it's meant to be.
    aweome!! i love these stories:)
  • dricen
    dricen Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    As long as you take in 1200 cals per day (Thats the minimum a body needs to survive) ,don't worry about eating more cals. if you're not hungry don't eat just to use them up

I eat dinner with my fiance and try to limit my calories for dinner in case we have a meal that might exceed a normal dinner.
  • slayerdan
    Options
    MFP numbers are guidelines, not the gospel. Adjust as you feel the need. If you arent hungry, tired or weak...then go with it, but do keep a minimum calorie intake.
  • dricen
    Options
    And I'm a guy for the few of you that thought I was female =P
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    its hard to say without looking at your food diary but I have to say if you are way under even when you don't exercise you either aren't logging your food right or aren't eating enough anyway. are you having a small handful of good quality carbs with each meal. Wholegrain rice 1 cup of is 300 calories easily. rather than loading up on fats with nuts , if it were me I'd have an evening meal of wholegrain rice with some egg or tuna mixed through, put a bit of flax seed oil on top if you still need to make it up. that would be more filling. a wholegrain sandwich wiht some lean meat and salad (no butter or dressing would be another healthy snack which would easily be 300 calories.
  • dricen
    Options
    I've unlocked my diary if you want to take a look. The last few days I've ate snacks at the end of the night just to try and gain some ground on my calories.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    Options
    This guy wants some attention. Lol.

It was my opinion, not factual information. The OP has a right to read and take the information she wants. i think if you are not hungry but throw calories in your mouth ,it might create a habit of not listening to your body, what you said in your statement is not what i was referring to in my statement.

Honoring a calorie target with a deficit factored in creates bad over eating habits?

And the misinformation continues to spread....
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    Options
    I apologize turn my her, she to him and he. Sorry about that

Then i would highly suggest a 42g EAS chocolate fudge ready to drink shake...300 calories, not saying a woman cant but ...
  • abcwhite10
    abcwhite10 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Undereating can be a huge contributing factor to either being overweight or to hindering weight loss progress. Fatihfully log everything that passes through your lips (if you aren't already) and see where you're at. If you are still waaaay below your goal I would say you are undereating. I'm not sure how big of a guy you are but 1600 calories isn't like it's a whole pile of calories. You probably need close to that just to keep your body functioning. If you're comfortable with it, open your diary to the public and ask for help........just remember to take all the advice with a grain of salt and do your research. Good luck.

****I see that you unlocked your diary in between my reading and posting
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    No we are here for other reasons to. Tracking fitness, nutrients, watching sugar intake for diabetics, cutting back calories, increasing calories, etc. This girl may also be counting her calories incorrectly. What if she isnt entering her weights or sizes of food correctly? What if she isnt including all sauces, oils, drinks etc in her diet? What if she is incorrect on her calorie burning? Then she will over eat and gain fast. She needs to figure out why she is so far over and not hungry...the answer is not "just eat more".

That's a lot of what if's.

What if all the tracking is nearly correct (in the right ballpark at least) and he is merely coming in way short of target due to improper planning? Yeah I guess that's too far fetched.
  • stephiejones
    Options
    I have noticed if i don't eat all my calories and exercise calories, i don't loose as much, and the peanut butter is a great idea...
  • OutiR
    OutiR Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that when I eat all my calories, also the ones came from exercise, I have much more energy and better feeling next day. It's like batteries were properly charged for anything coming ahead and I like that feeling a lot. If you want to make this as a permanent lifestyle, you need to be able to enjoy it or it will be very tempting to slip back to old ways.

Planning ahead is good and eating nutritionally good foods instead of unhealthy snacks. I like to eat a big breakfast and many times I eat 4 slices of bread + 3 eggs couple of hours before evening exercise and after that a nice dinner out whatever looks tempting at the moment. No problems getting enough calories!

If I still have too much calories left in the evening, I'll snack for instance almonds with honey or some fruit juice. Juices add calories fast and they are easy to combine to any meal or as a snack. Always can drink some. :-)

Good luck finding the right balance!
  • dricen
    Options
    I'm not huge for my height, but I'm still overweight. 6'-0" currently at 236lbs. When I first started eating less about a month ago It was rough at first, but I've gotten used to it now. But since I've actually started counting the calories I feel as though I'm way under my goal. I'm fairly confident that I am counting them correctly. I've scanned most of the things I eat, so unless they are labeled wrong, I should be correct. I log everything that goes in, and only drink water except for breakfast.
  • Shredded2011
    Options
    I wouldnt worry about it
  • Lovely_Lady234
    Options
    Hello.

This post is for the people out there who think they have to eat back calories they have burned.
    This is simple math:
    Your body needs to burn 3500 calories to lose one pound of pure fat.
    Average BMR is about 1200 (You will probably somewhere see 1600,1700 but that is usually inaccurate).
    If you eat 1600 calories (for example), burn 400 by exercise and for example 500 on everyday activity(walking,sitting,sleeping,moving), you are in minus of 500 calories.That means it takes 7 days for you to burn a pound of pure fat!
    This is how one pound of fat looks like. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_4cqqZ3OeYaQ/TGK8Mbr65yI/AAAAAAAAAFM/QJB0GSYh678/s1600/fat.jpg

Also, it is recommended for people who are NOT on a diet, to eat about 1800 (woman) and 2000(man) calories.If you eat 1600,than burn 500 by exercise, and than eat those 500 back, you will be eating more than recommended FOR A NORMAL PERSON.

But you see, if you eat back those calories, you will be in minus of 100 calories, and it will take you 35 days to burn the same amount of fat.

As long as you have eaten 1200 calories or more, if you're not hungry there is no need to workout!

Also, most of the people overestimates their calorie burn.
    This is an example for running, 5mph for an hour.

130 lbs - 472
    155 lbs -563
    180 lbs -654
    205 lbs -745

If you run 9mph (so fast!):
    130 lbs - 531
    155 lbs -633
    180 lbs -735
    205 lbs -838

So how many calories are you REALLY burning? High intensity aerobic for an average of 150 lbs will burn 200 calories.And by high intensity i mean a lot of cardio,lot of jumping, lot of push-ups!