Too many calories left at the end of the day, Help!

Options
1235»

Replies

• jaime_lynn_
    jaime_lynn_ Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i too have had this same problem. a pack of peanuts also has 400 calories, which is easier to carry around then a jar of peanut butter :) i also have been eating LOTS of fruit throughout the day... which adds up and keeps me eating... which makes it easier to eat the LARGE meals im having to eat to keep up with my calorie intake. im in week 3 of insanity and the first 2 weeks was only neting about 800 calories a day. i didnt even know it was that low until downloading mfp... it really opened my eyes to how much damage i was doing. im now up to about 1300 net which is still low, but im slowly working my way up to my 1700 i need! i am currently averaging my calorie burn, but will have a hrm tomorrow!! woo hoo glad i work at a chiro/pt supply company...DISCOUNT!!! id love to have someone look at my diary and give me some tips...im kinda doing this alone.. not much support... family still eats WHATEVER they want and i make my own meals... ive been doing alot of healthy choice meals... is this even good for me?
  • dricen
    dricen Posts: 25 Member
    Options

According to this I should be at 2700 to maintain. So If I want to lose 2 pounds a week that would put me at around 1700. I guess that is doable.
  • ejkeel475
    Options
    I've lost about 60 lbs. since Feb. and hit a plateau that left me feeling really bad about myself. Then I realized I was only eating about 700 calories a day. When I upped my calorie intake, I started losing again. Now I try to keep it at about 1600 calories a day and I lose about 2 lbs. a week. Try adding a protein bar or two. I have found that they help with my hunger and cravings, plus add calories to my day.
  • dricen
    Options
    I've lost about 60 lbs. since Feb. and hit a plateau that left me feeling really bad about myself. Then I realized I was only eating about 700 calories a day. When I upped my calorie intake, I started losing again. Now I try to keep it at about 1600 calories a day and I lose about 2 lbs. a week. Try adding a protein bar or two. I have found that they help with my hunger and cravings, plus add calories to my day.

Good job! And thanks for the advice! That seems to be the general consensus. I'm going to add some eggs to my breakfast and see how much that helps me.
  • getNskinny2day
    Options
    A couple tablespoons of almonds... Apple with peanut butter.. Tuna with whole grain crackers.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you're on about. I just looked at your diary. You didn't even log for a week. in the last few days you've only been under once, and you; were way over in the w/end? I can't see that you are having any problems eating your calorie goal, maybe you're under by 100 cals or so some days but thats nothing to worry about?
  • dricen
    Options
    I don't know what you're on about. I just looked at your diary. You didn't even log for a week. in the last few days you've only been under once, and you; were way over in the w/end? I can't see that you are having any problems eating your calorie goal, maybe you're under by 100 cals or so some days but thats nothing to worry about?

Because at the end of the day I always eat something to bring it up... And I've stated I've only started MFP a week ago =)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    If we could trust our bodies to always signal appropriate levels of hunger then we wouldn't have ever been overweight.

Hunger and cravings are two entirely different things. I doubt you'll find anyone who has become overweight from eating only when they are legitimately hungry.

I disagree because we don't stop feeling hungry for about 10-20 minutes after we are full and yet most keep eating until they don't feel hungry/feel full. It's no good only eating when hungry if you then eat too much when you are. I have done it!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    dricen, welcome btw!

A few things I'd day, from my experience.

1) WHEN you eat is totally irrelevant. It doesn't matter if you eat more cals at the end of the day, or if you skip breakfast, or if you eat 1 meal or 6 in a day. Just make sure to hit that calorie target.

2) You don't have to drink just neat water. Tea/coffee/soda/juice/milk/fruit/veg etc all count towards your daily fluid intake.

3) As others have said, protein is a must.

4) A few weeks back i didn't lose anything for a week. I looked back at my diary and realised my net cals were <1000. I bumped up my food, and started losing again. Never underestimate how important it is to actually eat enough!

5) The most important thing, as far as i am concerned, is to not overcomplicate this! Cutting this, changing that, etc. Exercise often, which you are, hit your NET calorie target, get your protein, and to quote the ever-reliable Sidesteal:
    Stop micromanaging crap that doesn't matter

Good luck! :)
  • dricen
    Options
    dricen, welcome btw!

A few things I'd day, from my experience.

1) WHEN you eat is totally irrelevant. It doesn't matter if you eat more cals at the end of the day, or if you skip breakfast, or if you eat 1 meal or 6 in a day. Just make sure to hit that calorie target.

2) You don't have to drink just neat water. Tea/coffee/soda/juice/milk/fruit/veg etc all count towards your daily fluid intake.

3) As others have said, protein is a must.

4) A few weeks back i didn't lose anything for a week. I looked back at my diary and realised my net cals were <1000. I bumped up my food, and started losing again. Never underestimate how important it is to actually eat enough!

5) The most important thing, as far as i am concerned, is to not overcomplicate this! Cutting this, changing that, etc. Exercise often, which you are, hit your NET calorie target, get your protein, and to quote the ever-reliable Sidesteal:
    Stop micromanaging crap that doesn't matter

Good luck! :)

Thanks for the solid advice! I drink water because I don't really like other things. I used to be a big sweet tea drinker, and that's not something I need to be drinking right now =) I've added 2 eggs to my breakfast and that should help me calories and proteins for the day! And yes I do get plenty of exercise now!
  • momerly7
    momerly7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You sound like you know what you're talking about.

My question is, at the end of the day I run out of fat and protein points but still have many calorie and carb points. If I am eating GOOD FATS like nuts or avocados for some of my protein is it ok to go over my fat allotment? Also, when it comes to protein points my understanding is your body will take and use the amount of protein needed and the rest will flush out of your system. Is that correct?
    ~B
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Well, no. It will use what it needs and then utilize a process called gluconeogenesis, which will convert the protein to glucose, which will then be converted to glycogen, and stored in the muscles and liver, or converted to triglycerides and stored in the fat cells (if you eat beyond the number of total calories you need.)

Basically, don't get too hung up on macros, unless you have a specific metabolic health issue, total calories are much more important. Stick to a general ratio, but if once in a while you go way over or under on a particular macro, it's not a big deal.