Vodka!

Options

Replies

• Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Just thinking a little outside the box here, but if you go to the gym everyday and always do the eliptical for 800 cals at a time, maybe your body adjusting to this is more to blame for the plateau than the alcohol...

Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favour of a moderate amount of the good stuff, but mixing up your workouts might yeild some positive results too.
  • tstorr
    tstorr Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Just thinking a little outside the box here, but if you go to the gym everyday and always do the eliptical for 800 cals at a time, maybe your body adjusting to this is more to blame for the plateau than the alcohol...

Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favour of a moderate amount of the good stuff, but mixing up your workouts might yeild some positive results too.

Thank you, I appreciate all help. I have been thinking I need to change up my cardio too. I am so addicted to my cardio right now.............

Tonight I try the vodka!! This weekend I will try different cardio, like interval treadmill maybe or C25K?
  • tstorr
    Options
    Raspberry Cocoa and and Espresso Vanilla sounds amazing too.
  • xxxTiaxxx
    xxxTiaxxx Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    take it back up. I had a vodka for lunch
  • tstorr
    Options
    take it back up. I had a vodka for lunch

Lucky girl! I had to work and go to the dentist before vodka!
  • ejkeel475
    Options
    My favorite is Jack Daniels; however, I have found that it is not the bourbon that puts on the extra lbs., but the way it affects my appetite. I lose all self control and eat everything in sight - lo-cal, high-cal, no-cal - it doesn't matter. I eat it. Are you getting too few calories. I've lost 56 lbs. since Feb., but I hit a plateau and then realized I was only eating about 700 calories a day. When I upped my calorie intake, I started losing again. I've been trying to keep it at about 1200 calories.
  • boadicea24
    boadicea24 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree. Vodka is my drink of choice - but I still record it calorie-wise! I'm trying not to drink as much (I tend to like the white russian types of drinks, so I'll try to do dash of milk instead of cream, etc) But I still have lost over 35#. If I know we are going out for dinner and drinks, I'll have lighter meals earlier and workout more.

I'm interested in trying the Voli Vodkas!

Oh, and have you tried those Crystal Light Mojito/Appletini/Margarita drink mixes? My absolute favorite flavor is the Appletini - 5 calories - tastes like a liquid sour green apple jolly rancher. Mix it with a bit of vodka....mmmmmm!
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I think I will visit my vodka bottle in the freezer tonight when I get home from worK! :drinker:
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    This:
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html
    From the site--
    "
    * For this day, restrict your intake of dietary fat to 0.3 g/kg body weight (or as close to this figure as possible).

* Limit carbs to 1.5 g/kg body weight. Get all carbs from veggies and the tag-along carbs in some protein sources. You'll also want to limit carbohydrate-rich alcohol sources such as drinks made with fruit juices and beer. A 33 cl/12 fl oz of beer contains about 12 g carbs, while a regular Cosmopolitan is about 13 g.

* Good choices of alcohol include dry wines which are very low carb, clocking in at about 0.5-1 g per glass (4 fl oz/115ml). Sweet wines are much higher at 4-6 g per glass. Cognac, gin, rum, scotch, tequila, vodka and whiskey are all basically zero carbs. Dry wines and spirits is what you should be drinking, ideally. Take them straight or mixed with diet soda. (No need to be super-neurotic about this stuff. Drinks should be enjoyed after all. Just be aware that there are better and worse choices out there).

* Eat as much protein as you want. Yes, that's right. Ad libitum. Due to the limit on dietary fat, you need to get your protein from lean sources. Protein sources such as low fat cottage cheese, protein powder, chicken, turkey, tuna, pork and egg whites are good sources of protein this day.

* For effective fat loss, this should be limited to one evening per week. Apply the protocol and you will lose fat on a weekly basis as long as your diet is on point for the rest of the week.

Basically, the nutritional strategy I have outlined here is all about focusing on substrates that are least likely to cause net synthesis of fat during hypercaloric conditions. Alcohol and protein, your main macronutrients this day, are extremely poor precursors for de novo lipogenesis. Alcohol suppresses fat oxidation, but by depriving yourself of dietary fat during alcohol consumption, you won't be storing anything. Nor will protein cause any measurable de novo lipogenesis. High protein intake will also compensate for the weak effect of alcohol on satiety and make you less likely to blow your diet when you're drinking.

By the way, a nice bonus after a night of drinking is that it effectively rids you of water retention. You may experience the "whoosh"-effect, which I've talked about in my two-part series about water retention. That in itself can be motivating for folks who've been experiencing a plateau in their weight loss.

"
  • lupa01
    lupa01 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I agree. Vodka is my drink of choice - but I still record it calorie-wise! I'm trying not to drink as much (I tend to like the white russian types of drinks, so I'll try to do dash of milk instead of cream, etc) But I still have lost over 35#. If I know we are going out for dinner and drinks, I'll have lighter meals earlier and workout more.

Oh, and have you tried those Crystal Light Mojito/Appletini/Margarita drink mixes? My absolute favorite flavor is the Appletini - 5 calories - tastes like a liquid sour green apple jolly rancher. Mix it with a bit of vodka....mmmmmm!

Wow!! Didn't know about the Crystal light drink mixes! Gotta try those, that Appletini sounds goooood!!!:-)
  • tstorr
    Options
    My favorite is Jack Daniels; however, I have found that it is not the bourbon that puts on the extra lbs., but the way it affects my appetite. I lose all self control and eat everything in sight - lo-cal, high-cal, no-cal - it doesn't matter. I eat it. Are you getting too few calories. I've lost 56 lbs. since Feb., but I hit a plateau and then realized I was only eating about 700 calories a day. When I upped my calorie intake, I started losing again. I've been trying to keep it at about 1200 calories.

This is a question I have meaning to ask, I am new somewhat. If my calories are 1200 and I work out roughly 800 calories.....should I be eating 2000 calories? I find I am not hungry at night lately. (I workout in the am and I am hungry when I get home)
  • tstorr
    Options

So excited I decided to get back to vodka now!!!
    Wow!! Didn't know about the Crystal light drink mixes! Gotta try those, that Appletini sounds goooood!!!:-)
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Hey did U know they make Light Vodka now, That is what I drink with diet soda or whatever. I had 7 shots tonight and it was only 240 calories! I can drink more and not get hungover Just love it. Oh and I still have a few drinks and I have lost 20 pounds so far in 6 weeks.

Did not know this...happy face!!! :D
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Regular vodka is only 70 calories an ounce. If you're going to drink it, drink the real stuff.:drinker:

Kinda have to agree here...lol
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I only drink vodka and usually with cranberry or low sodium tomato spicy juice. yeeeeah
  • tstorr
    Options
    This:
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html
    From the site--
    "
    * For this day, restrict your intake of dietary fat to 0.3 g/kg body weight (or as close to this figure as possible).

* Limit carbs to 1.5 g/kg body weight. Get all carbs from veggies and the tag-along carbs in some protein sources. You'll also want to limit carbohydrate-rich alcohol sources such as drinks made with fruit juices and beer. A 33 cl/12 fl oz of beer contains about 12 g carbs, while a regular Cosmopolitan is about 13 g.

* Good choices of alcohol include dry wines which are very low carb, clocking in at about 0.5-1 g per glass (4 fl oz/115ml).

Sweet wines are much higher at 4-6 g per glass. Cognac, gin, rum, scotch, tequila, vodka and whiskey are all basically zero carbs. Dry wines and spirits is what you should be drinking, ideally. Take them straight or mixed with diet soda. (No need to be super-neurotic about this stuff. Drinks should be enjoyed after all. Just be aware that there are better and worse choices out there).

* Eat as much protein as you want. Yes, that's right. Ad libitum. Due to the limit on dietary fat, you need to get your protein from lean sources. Protein sources such as low fat cottage cheese, protein powder, chicken, turkey, tuna, pork and egg whites are good sources of protein this day.

* For effective fat loss, this should be limited to one evening per week. Apply the protocol and you will lose fat on a weekly basis as long as your diet is on point for the rest of the week.

Basically, the nutritional strategy I have outlined here is all about focusing on substrates that are least likely to cause net synthesis of fat during hypercaloric conditions. Alcohol and protein, your main macronutrients this day, are extremely poor precursors for de novo lipogenesis. Alcohol suppresses fat oxidation, but by depriving yourself of dietary fat during alcohol consumption, you won't be storing anything. Nor will protein cause any measurable de novo lipogenesis. High protein intake will also compensate for the weak effect of alcohol on satiety and make you less likely to blow your diet when you're drinking.

By the way, a nice bonus after a night of drinking is that it effectively rids you of water retention. You may experience the "whoosh"-effect, which I've talked about in my two-part series about water retention. That in itself can be motivating for folks who've been experiencing a plateau in their weight loss.

"

OK I am a bit buzzed and that is a bunch of information.........but part of it explains my weight loss from cardio, eating one salad (w/chicken) drinking vodka + zero calorie drinks and low carb snacks as a decent diet............too bad I cant find good chicken wings in the bay area............................
  • lupa01
    lupa01 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Regular vodka is only 70 calories an ounce. If you're going to drink it, drink the real stuff.:drinker:

Kinda have to agree here...lol

Me too!lol
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    FYI, alcohol is a very interesting substance nutritionally.

Calorie wise, it is essentially a double carb. They don't record it as such because it doesn't provide the nutritional value of 2 carbs. Instead the value of it is 1 carb. But the calorie consequence is 2 carbs. It it's records correctly, 1 shot should be 10 carbs. You won't see that in the database, but thats the effect to your body. Carbs are good, not bad.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Alcohol messes with your metabolism, your body burns it before other fuels. but... it is dehydrating so sometimes you'll weigh less after indulging. BUT I do tend to eat less overall on days I drink... My go to is dry red wine... ♥ or vodka with Pelegrino and lemon or lime. If I was, say, dieting down for an event or photo shoot (lol) I would cut the alcohol a week or so before the event.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    If life gives you lemons, just add vodka!