anyone else not getting anywhere?

Options
it's been since about june since the last time i lost any weight. i'm still doing my thing and trying to mix it up to get the scale moving again. i'm not really complaining - i'm still very active and i love the endurance and strength i'm gaining - i'd prefer that over weight loss if i could only choose one thing. i'm just curious if there is anyone else out there that has not seen weight loss results but are still pushing through, and how you deal with not losing.

i know that eventually, my body is going to comply and let go of the fat. in the meantime, my muscles, heart and lungs continue to rock it out. i'm going to get measured at my gym on monday, so i hope it lines up with how i feel - smaller - even though i've been holding the same weight for months now.

anyone else in my boat?

Replies

• sammycool1986
    sammycool1986 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I feel the same i've been eating healthy and staying under my calorie goala nd I'm exercising 5 times a week for up to an hour and nothing : ( My weight has stayed the same I really want the scales to go down.
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you on this....Its been about 3 months for me and the scale fluctuates between 5-7 lbs. Maintaining when trying to lose sucks lol. I just keep remembering that it will come off eventually. I weigh only once or twice a week and just know that as long as i am still working out and watching my food intake its better than gaining! Hopefully my body will kick in and shed some more soon since I have about 100 lbs more to go :P Good luck!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    "I just wanted to post something about what to expect during the phases of weight loss.

Overview (why I'm posting this)
    Over the course of about 7 months on here, I have seen many people suceed, I have also seen some drop off the map. I expect this is because some succumb to the demon that is temptation, and some to the devil that is dissapointment. I wanted to give a few "heads up"s to both new commers and vetrans to the site. Some may know already, some may not. But either way, if this helps anyone to set more realistic goals in their own head, I feel like it has done it's job.

Phase 1. The start of a brand new day! (or week, or month, or year)
    Expectations are sky high, usually so is motivation and intentions. This is where most people lose the most weight. At the start it's not uncommon to see 4 to 8 lb losses per week. The reasons for this are mostly (sorry to disappoint) water weight. You drop excess water quickly, and you can have up to 5 lbs of water weight. The next biggest reason is the fat that is right next to the blood vessels, the stuff that you put on in the last month or three, it will melt like butter usually.

Phase 2. Reality setting in.
    At about week 3 to a month or so, people suddenly realize that they are no longer dropping 8, 6, or even 4 lbs a week. This is a crutial phase in your journey. Expect this, it is natural. You have shocked your body by changing both eating habits and exercise routine. Now it has had a little while to become used to the new lifestyle, it's going to compensate. Your body still doesn't believe it's permenant yet, so it will still try to store some fat, so now that it knows how to regulate it's new metabolic levels, it tryies to store fat in earnest. It's not uncommon for people to hit a wall here, no loss for weeks. Expect this as well.

Phase 3. The routine.
    At about 2 months or so, your routine is pretty much set, your body is beginning to believe that you really want to STAY the way you are going now. You will start to see more consistant (but lower, usually 1 to 2 lbs a week) loss, also, you should start seeing some muscle tone (depending on how much you had to lose in the first place). If you stop to think, you should realize that you have improved dramatically in your exercise levels. If you do cardio, you should notice how much longer and harder you can work. This is important to realize as it is just as big of an indicator as weight loss. Also, by now you may notice that your clothes no longer fit right. This is also very important. The weight may not be falling off anymore, but you are becomming a smaller person. Weight is arbitrary, if you are building muscle (which your body is doing at a furious pace by now) you won't notice huge losses, but you will notice wholesale changes in the mirror!

Phase 4. Really digging in.
    This is where the second wall can happen. You're probably at between 3 and 4 months by now, and if you have gone this far, you feel like you have already suceeded. This is where many people stumble. they are tired of the routine, tired of eating different things from all their friends, limiting their alcohol intake. Basically the shine has worn off. this is when your really need to plant your feet. Maybe change up your exercise routine, make a concentrated effort to find different, but still nutritional food. Talk to people. And examine how far you have come. At this point, no matter how much external motivation you receive, it's all about believing in yourself!

Phase 5. End game.
    5 or 6 months in you are probably working on that "last 10 pounds". This can be discouraging for many as it is a slow burn. Remember, your body probably feels like it is where it needs to be, your brain might think you need to lose 10 more, but your body is quite proud of itself now, it feels like it has "Done enough" and it wants to stay RIGHT HERE. The body LIKES to have a little fat around just in case, especially for the ladies (sorry girls, it's just human physiology). If you feel like you still need to lose it, prepare yourself for some guerrila warfare against your body. Design an exercise regimen that is very dynamic, forget the "same thing every day". Make a plan that challenges you both physically and mentally. Make sure you give yourself a day off here and there to just veg. And by all means, remember, muscle burns fat at rest. So get some weight or resistance training involved.
    The last 10 may take 3 to 6 months to lose. I know nobody wants to hear that, but it's true. And forget the idea of increasing your calorie deficite, healthy bodies need good nutrition, your body no longer has the fat reserves to handle the large deficites you could when you were 30 40 or 50 pounds overweight. Better to make it a 3 or 400 calorie deficite (NET, please count your exercise calories too!). It may take a bit longer, but your body will like you for it. Plus it feeds those new muscles and keeps them burning fat, keeps your skin healthy (elasticity is important when you want those places that were stretched out to "snap back") and keeps you from getting head aches and depressed.

Conclusion:

this is what I have learned, not just from my journey, but from others as well on here. It saddens me sometimes to see people hit one of these stages and not recognize it for what it is, a part of the process. If we all can have realistic expectations, then we are more prone to win the fight and stay healthy in the long run. Note that some people will hit these stages harder then others, some may take longer, but for the most part, this is the rule that the exceptions will come from. "
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Have you tried to change up your eating? What I mean, have you tried eating more? In my history, people under eat because that is the old stigma but as we progress, we find it's better to eat more to fuel your body properly to lose more and burn more calories.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    thanks for all of your responses! i train pretty hard at least five days per week. as for eating, i definitely don't eat perfectly, but i do eat in such a way that i should at least be losing half a pound per week. i tend to eat back at least half of my exercise calories, if not all. sometimes not, but typically, yes.

my workout week consists of zumba, step class, pilates, yoga and strength training.

i've also gotten to where i can jog for 4 miles solid, so i'm going to start training for speed to see if that helps. i have also just recently added in jump roping intervals to my routine. i suck at it right now, but it's fun and something i intend to get better at! i generally drink 8 servings of water per day, but i shoot to drink 12.

so we'll see. i'm just going to keep playing around, and most importantly, stay the course. i know there is no simple solution, but i figure that eventually, something is going to have to give - even if it takes another 6 months. i'm willing to hold my ground and wait!

thanks again, everyone!
  • michonw
    Options
    I'm just getting started however; in the past when I've experienced this situation, I really watched my carb intake and it finally busted a move! :) Take a week with very low carb, high protein and LOTS of water and see how it goes for you. Good luck!
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i hear ya it's frustrating. On Oct 22 i decided i needed to lose 15 lbs as i can't keep gaining weight anymore. I am at my max weight and bmi for my height and age.... SO on that day i decided to get back on my treadmill and do this not only to lose weight but just to get healthier in general. I am feeling terrible, cranky and tired all the time. So i started out 5 days a week 30 min then after 2 weeks i bumped it to 40 and then 1 week later to 45. I then got a elliptical machine and have been doing both, sometimes splitting the workout between both items or one on one day and then next on the next day. Well when i hit 1 month i hadn't lost 1 lb. I had been eating healthy and all. So i was getting discouraged. what else can i do? what am i doing wrong?
    I decided from reading on this site that many are doing the 30ds, so i started that this week. I just finished my 3rd day today, so after the 30 days if i still don't lose 1 lb or a inch somewhere, then i am DOOMED!
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    80% of your weight loss is calories. Exercise helps, but one or two bad days a week and you won't lose. No "cheat" days. My sis in law has lost 5 lbs per month consistently (for 3 months) because she watches her calories religiously and walks/exercises. There is no secret to people who have lost 20-50-100 lbs on this site. It's calories in vs. calories out, and you have to be consistently under in order to see results.

Also, we'll need to see your diary. Go to Settings > Diary Settings > Diary Sharing and change it to Public.

Lastly, 30 Day Shred can help! I'm doing it now with my sister-in-law and it's a workout. Give it your all though and you WILL have results! Guaranteed.
  • Yori1
    Yori1 Posts: 142
    Options
    Bump
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    80% of your weight loss is calories. Exercise helps, but one or two bad days a week and you won't lose. No "cheat" days.

This. Even maintaining, I can really only afford one cheat "meal" most weeks. A whole cheat day every week would make me start to slowly gain back. The secret is: you have to load up on protein and fiber so you stay full and are not as tempted to cheat and you have to find somewhat healthy foods that you actually like. I'm a picky eater, so for me, this involved lots of trial and error. Now I actually look forward to a meal of Cuban black bean soup and a salad with tempeh and my favorite dressing almost as much as I used to look forward to a big plate of pasta. It took me a long time to get to this point.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Totally understand - it can be very frustrating...I started on my journey a year and a half ago - eating cleaner and doing a regular exercise routine...I am only down about 12 lbs over the course of that time- am I frusterated that it isn't more - especially since I am doing everything "the experts" say to do - yes...BUT my body shaped has changed and people have noticed and think I have lost 20 lbs or more...so I have had to rearrange my thinking and go towards a lifestyle change and not a weight change - when/if my weight goes down I see that as a bonus...I would rather be "solid" with nice definition then "thin" with no tone - KWIM

I would be willing to bet you will see some difference in your measurements - I recently took my measurements after not taking them for 6 months - the difference in my hips and wasit was only about an inch...but my thighs - 3 inches each...so put them together I took 6 inches off my thighs...my arms are the same - BUT I now have a nice line of definition when I flex and the bottom part doesn't flap as much as before :) ...My neck/collarbone area is a lot more defined too...

Don't give up - change the way you think about "diet" and exercise - think of it as a lifestyle change to better feed your body the good stuff - to lower your cholesterol and blood pressure, to strengthen your bones and your heart, etc...

One thing too - have a check-up with your Dr. get them to do a blood screen to make sure your hormones aren't out of whack...for women our hormones can do mean nasty things to our bodies - I am planning on going to my Dr. again and asking for a full blood screen panel...just to make sure that everything is on the up and up there
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Seems like you are extremely active. I would suggest lets try a different approach to yoru eating. If you are interested, please use the tool (top of the site) and post your BMR. There are some methods where you eat consistantly instead of eating back your exericse. Other stuff you can do is alter your carbs/protein/fat ratios.
  • chanstriste13
    Options
    thanks again everyone. i'll still play around with my food, but since i intend this to be a lifestyle change, there is no way that i will go without having a cheat something or other forever! anytime i try that (my longest haul was 6 months of 'clean' eating), i end up bingeing for months. so even if my weight stays put, i won't be doing any *major* overhauling in the food department. i don't mind some tweaking (portion control, preparing meals at home, logging my food, downing my water, only drinking soda occassionaly, etc.), but i'm not going to commit to eating nothing but food i don't care for. my primary goal is to be happy and healthy, which i pretty much am. something will give eventually. i'm just going to have to continue to play around and figure it out. it will happen. thanks again for all the advice - i'll give it all a go! :flowerforyou:
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    <raises hand> Me, me, me!

It's probably been at least six months since I've seen any real loss. I try to tell myself that simply by maintaining for such a long time and not gaining is, at least for me, a small victory. I'm not yo-yoing and I can tell my body is changing and toning. I have to focus on those positive things or I will beat myself up too much about not losing.

Not giving up is the toughest hurdle to jump - don't give up!
  • GrainneOB
    Options
    Yes I find it very hard to lose weight I always seem to stay the same up or down 5 Ibs. I'm around 14 to 17Ibs over weight which I know is not that bad but still I have to keep an eye or I will keep going up. I eat healthy but I know myself I eat to many carbs. For a long time I didn't do enough exercise I have a curvy figure so need to workout regularly. And my other issue was not drinking enough water, the only water I drank was in my tea.
    I really want to stick with my exercises this time round that's why I joined a gym two weeks ago plus I do zumba.
    I'm a bit like you I enjoy my food and have tried dieting over the years but after a while you go mad on food and put the weight back on. So now I'm eating normal but healthy but also not depriving myself.
    All your friends comments are really good I know now to stick with it and in time I'll see the results if not off my weight maybe I'll knock a few inches off and most of all feel fitter and have more energy.
    Cheers!!
  • chanstriste13
    Options
    <raises hand> Me, me, me!

It's probably been at least six months since I've seen any real loss. I try to tell myself that simply by maintaining for such a long time and not gaining is, at least for me, a small victory. I'm not yo-yoing and I can tell my body is changing and toning. I have to focus on those positive things or I will beat myself up too much about not losing.

Not giving up is the toughest hurdle to jump - don't give up!

great attitude! thanks for the positive vibes!
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    it's been since about june since the last time i lost any weight. i'm still doing my thing and trying to mix it up to get the scale moving again. i'm not really complaining - i'm still very active and i love the endurance and strength i'm gaining - i'd prefer that over weight loss if i could only choose one thing. i'm just curious if there is anyone else out there that has not seen weight loss results but are still pushing through, and how you deal with not losing.

i know that eventually, my body is going to comply and let go of the fat. in the meantime, my muscles, heart and lungs continue to rock it out. i'm going to get measured at my gym on monday, so i hope it lines up with how i feel - smaller - even though i've been holding the same weight for months now.

anyone else in my boat?

No loss since June is unacceptable. You need a new plan. How many calories are you eating?
  • GrowOrDie
    Options
    The problem with calories... :) Just posted this on my blog today! http://growordie.net/?p=459
  • chanstriste13
    Options
    No loss since June is unacceptable. You need a new plan. How many calories are you eating?

ya think?! :tongue:

i'm set for 1600 calories per day, which is a 1.25 pound loss per week according to mfp. on workout days i burn between 500 and 700 calories and eat back at least half, if not all of those calories.

as for a plan....well, that's what i'm trying to work out. and just for the record, i've lost more than that 3 pounds on my ticker - i lost 28 pounds on mfp between august 2010 and june 2011, but aside from that 3 pounds on my 'new' ticker that was also lost in june, i've been stuck. i did not work out consistently over the summer because that is when i work full time, but i have been back at it since early august.

you will not find me eating a salads and grilled chicken everyday. i'm trying to do this in a way that i can maintain for life, so that means i won't be swearing off pizza or chocolate forever. i do eat fairly well and typically stay within my calories, though i'm not the type that will kick myself because i ate popcorn at a movie. my eating habits have not drastically changed since when i was losing consistently every week, though i have upped my water intake and eat more salads for lunch (vs. frozen pizzas, which i ate twice a week when i was losing weight).

so i am kind of stumped, but i'm not giving up. i know that i'll figure out something, and ya'll are giving me plenty of great advice to try, too. i hope that no one is taking this as a 'doom and gloom' post - even with this stalled weight loss, i'm incredibly happy with my success all the same. i've lost 31 pounds total, and as soon as i get over this loooong hump, i'll lose the same over. i can see that i'm shrinking, and my clothes seem to be fitting more loosely each day. i'm nearly to the last notch in my belts. i'm almost to 20 pound dumbbells in my strength training classes. i can jog a 5k in 35 minutes, and i start training today to improve that time.

there are so many other benefits to this, it would be silly to fold just because of a number. but i still want to figure out how to get it moving again. that would be the icing on the cake!
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options

ya think?! :tongue:

i'm set for 1600 calories per day, which is a 1.25 pound loss per week according to mfp. on workout days i burn between 500 and 700 calories and eat back at least half, if not all of those calories.

as for a plan....well, that's what i'm trying to work out. and just for the record, i've lost more than that 3 pounds on my ticker - i lost 28 pounds on mfp between august 2010 and june 2011, but aside from that 3 pounds on my 'new' ticker that was also lost in june, i've been stuck. i did not work out consistently over the summer because that is when i work full time, but i have been back at it since early august.

you will not find me eating a salads and grilled chicken everyday. i'm trying to do this in a way that i can maintain for life, so that means i won't be swearing off pizza or chocolate forever. i do eat fairly well and typically stay within my calories, though i'm not the type that will kick myself because i ate popcorn at a movie. my eating habits have not drastically changed since when i was losing consistently every week, though i have upped my water intake and eat more salads for lunch (vs. frozen pizzas, which i ate twice a week when i was losing weight).

so i am kind of stumped, but i'm not giving up. i know that i'll figure out something, and ya'll are giving me plenty of great advice to try, too. i hope that no one is taking this as a 'doom and gloom' post - even with this stalled weight loss, i'm incredibly happy with my success all the same. i've lost 31 pounds total, and as soon as i get over this loooong hump, i'll lose the same over. i can see that i'm shrinking, and my clothes seem to be fitting more loosely each day. i'm nearly to the last notch in my belts. i'm almost to 20 pound dumbbells in my strength training classes. i can jog a 5k in 35 minutes, and i start training today to improve that time.

there are so many other benefits to this, it would be silly to fold just because of a number. but i still want to figure out how to get it moving again. that would be the icing on the cake!

Nor should you swear off pizza and chocolate. Look at my diary and you will see how I feel about that. What is your bmr?