Potatoes for Christmas- tasty and healthy?

Options
Does anyone have a healthy and tasty potato recipe I can use for Christmas?

If not, do you have any sort of side dish recipe that is healthy and tastes good? I know if I bring something healthy but boring, it won't be eaten. But none of us need another fattening dish at Christmas...

Replies

• Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I dont know cause the only way to make a tasty and healthy potato recipe is to add lots of fat to it.....that's healthy to me (but I live on fat). I say mash 'em with a ton of butter and whipping cream and add in some salt, pepper, garlic and chives.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Oooh or twice baked potatoes. I love those!
  • spazicoco
    spazicoco Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't eat potatoes but I make a cauliflower mash that resembles potatoes a lot! All of my "carb loving" family and friends love the dish.....though doesn't taste like potatoes per se. I steam the cauliflower to soft consistency and drain (when you mash, lots of water comes to surface so let stand in strainer for at least 5 min.).....I mash with potato masher, add some garlic, salt and pepper. I then add a tablespoon (or 2 - depending on how much cauliflower you used) of "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray. You can play with the recipe according to desires. I've made without garlic and/or added some red pepper flakes. Another thing you can try, is just splitting the difference with the potatoes and cauliflower. It really is a yummy dish and we don't miss the potatoes at all :)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I add a block of cream cheese (full fat, of course) to mashed potatoes. No milk or butter. It's heaven.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I mash mine with the skin on with vegetable stock, roasted garlic, salt and pepper.

The next day you can make savory potato pancakes - throw in some breadcrumbs and pan fry in a bit of oil.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I mash mine with the skin on with vegetable stock, roasted garlic, salt and pepper.

The next day you can make savory potato pancakes - throw in some breadcrumbs and pan fry in a bit of oil.

This is how I do it.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    I steep garlic in heavy cream and add that to the potatoes and add marcarpone cheese or a good non salted butter, sea salt to heighten the flavor and put through a ricer, never whip potatoes btw, and it's always a holiday hit.

Another decent potato dish is to slice the potato's thin using a mandoline preferably and to include sweet potato by half. Layer each with assorted herbs, butter and chives and cover with heavy cream/garlic and bake in the oven, it's like a scallop potato dish.

Another great option is to take small reds and boil until fairly tender, then using something flat, slight flatten just enough to split the skins. Lay on a sheet pan and brush with EVOO and sprinkle with sea salt and bake in a 400 degree oven until crispy, maybe 10 to 15 minutes.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I make mine with skin on mashed with greek yogurt, garlic, and chives. Yum!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    My favorite.

CE2D8300-orig.jpg
  • medrewiske
    medrewiske Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Good idea, thanks!
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    I use the cauliflower recipe also - You can also add a little chicken broth, ummm... it is really good. My husband is a meat and potato kind of guy and I snuck the cauliflower in on him, he was pleasantly surprised :)