bye bye bulky calves

Options
13»

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    What about the advice in this article? Calves are an issue for me as well but I am far from an expert so I when I read this, I wondered about the validity of the advice:

http://www.superskinnyme.com/how-to-slim-calves.html
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    If she wants to reduce the size of her calves, why would she be advised to "target" them? In my experience, when you target a muscle group, it only serves to increase the size of that muscle group. It seems like avoiding exercises that put strain on the calves would be the temporary way to go while she loses more BF. I ask in sincerity, as I may have missed a point in the conversation about this.

As for calf development, from what I've read, long, lean calves are built through endurance (running and cycling), and short, compact calves are built through explosive moves (sprints, gym work, etc). This, of course depending on genetics as well.

I agree, no one can spot reduce and she is at 27.14% BF, so in order to see a change, she is going to want to lower her BF percentage to start.

As far as me agreeing that squats, lunges, etc. will help is only because they will help tighten the calves, especially the calf raises as her BF percentage decreases. I am not saying ONLY focus on that, but I am saying make sure to also focus on that when doing cardio and strength. In other words, I do not think the "problem" area should be left alone because it is a bulky area, but instead, work it along with everything else.

Thanks for clarifying Bry. :smile:
  • sweetyJ
    Options
    Oh I love posts asking about how to solve this problem. Cause I have it. :sad:

I am like Meg and firedragon, I believe my bulky muscular calves are due to genetics, even when I was slim at 125lbs and 5'4, I had bulky calves. Although I am sure it is bulkier (with fat intermittently intertwined with muscle now) since I have gained weight. Unfortunately, I think genetics plays a major part. My mom is 5'3, skinny, but bulky calves, same with my brother, uncles etc (although, on men, it is sexy, not so much on me or my mom :grumble: )

I am obsess with this because I love boots, and hate having to order those custom boots from England (remain nameless, cause I am not advertising, but it has 3 letters in its brand). Those boots are expensive to ship (and return if it doesn't fit) if one is not located in England. So I would love it if I can reduce my 15.75" calves to like a 13" or 14". Boots Boots Boots :bigsmile:
  • emilyjhopkins
    emilyjhopkins Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i am very similar to you, the lightest i have been is 125lbs and my calves were about 15-15.5". at the moment i am 140 lbs and they are nearly 16". i am hoping this time to go a little lighter and see what happens. my calves are the same shape as my dads. recently he has lost nearly 5 stone and is now very slim, and his calves look a normal size! this has given me hope that i can get there too. i have always been told that they would never slim... but i won't know until i try! there is definately a layer of fat on them, it must just be the last place it shifts from!
  • emilyjhopkins
    Options

I am like Meg and firedragon, I believe my bulky muscular calves are due to genetics, even when I was slim at 125lbs and 5'4, I had bulky calves. Although I am sure it is bulkier (with fat intermittently intertwined with muscle now) since I have gained weight. Unfortunately, I think genetics plays a major part. My mom is 5'3, skinny, but bulky calves, same with my brother, uncles etc (although, on men, it is sexy, not so much on me or my mom :grumble: )

I am obsess with this because I love boots, and hate having to order those custom boots from England (remain nameless, cause I am not advertising, but it has 3 letters in its brand). Those boots are expensive to ship (and return if it doesn't fit) if one is not located in England. So I would love it if I can reduce my 15.75" calves to like a 13" or 14". Boots Boots Boots :bigsmile:

i am very similar to you, the lightest i have been is 125lbs and my calves were about 15-15.5". at the moment i am 140 lbs and they are nearly 16". i am hoping this time to go a little lighter and see what happens. my calves are the same shape as my dads. recently he has lost nearly 5 stone and is now very slim, and his calves look a normal size! this has given me hope that i can get there too. i have always been told that they would never slim... but i won't know until i try! there is definately a layer of fat on them, it must just be the last place it shifts from!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

A lot of the "look" is more in your head. I would ask what others honestly think of your calves. My biceps are .5" bigger than your calves and that isn't that big. A lot of muscle definition is genetics though.
  • emilyjhopkins
    Options
    A lot of the "look" is more in your head. I would ask what others honestly think of your calves. My biceps are .5" bigger than your calves and that isn't that big. A lot of muscle definition is genetics though.
    [/quote]

thanks that is nice to know :-)