Gym vs. Home Equipment...

Options
13»

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Who needs equipment? Well, except maybe a pull-up bar. You'd be amazed at how much strength training you can actually do without ever lifting a single barbell.
    depends how strong you are and what part of the body you are working. How are you going to really train your legs without some form of resistance?

How did people do it before all this fancy gym equipment?

By carrying the buffalo back to the cave.

So why do you need a gym or special equipment to mimic that? Just pick up something heavy.

Exactly... something heavy is the resistance I was initially talking about. Typically that's weights, but it could be gallons of water, cinder blocks, pieces of firewood, etc. The point is that you need something more than body weight to train your legs/lower body.
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I use the gym for my cardio (treadmill/elliptical) and I like to use the basic circuit strength training equipment - but at home I have dumbells, pull up bar, medicine balls, stability balls - - I like to do my free-weight training and ab workouts from home. I used to have a treadmill at home but rarely used it - I would just turn it on and make my pug walk on it .
  • amybell68
    amybell68 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    my husband and I were just having the discussion last night on either getting a gym membership at the new 24/7 gym that just opened 1 min from our house, or buying a treadmill and some weights.....we are leaning towards the treadmill, I will cost less in the long run and we will have it here 24/7.....so we think it will be a better fit for us :)
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Options
    have a bunch of DVDs, a Wii with a bunch of workout/dance games, <--- far more fun than the gym in my eyes

also I have a treadmill, a home gym, some dumbells, a balance ball, yoga mat and resistance bands at home. We bought them little by little over time

my living room is for "classes" (DVds and games)

back veranda is the gym area :-p

i make it so that i have no excuses
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Who needs equipment? Well, except maybe a pull-up bar. You'd be amazed at how much strength training you can actually do without ever lifting a single barbell.
    depends how strong you are and what part of the body you are working. How are you going to really train your legs without some form of resistance?

To the best of my knowledge gymnasts, who in my opinion have amazing bodies, use no weights in their training. It is all bodyweight and working on the apparatus that they use. Nothing more. I could be wrong about that. I also know that according to Mark Lauren (an retired trainer for Navy Seals IIRC) their main modality for exercise is bodyweight. Of course their strength is built up further by the work they do dragging boats in and out of the water and the like, but you can achieve the same thing with something really inexpensive like sand bags. Where weights excel is that it is often easier and requires less creativity and skill to build strength. I only do bodyweight, but I have nothing against weights as you can see by the list of stuff I have. I just choose not to use them right now. I will use them again I am sure since I have them.

In order to see results I'd have to be lifting my TV and various pieces of furniture if I didn't have weights to work with.

Exactly. Weight lifting is "easy" because to progress, you simply add more weight, while in BWST, progression comes from decreasing leverage by changing positions or stances. BWST doesn't allow you to brag about how much you can lift, though you do get to show off with fun stuff like this: http://beastskills.com/tutorials/tutorials/54 :)
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I've got an adjustable bench, rack, olympic barbell, EZ curl bar, 2 sets of adjustable dumbbells, weight plates (150kg), stability ball, medicine balls, pull-up bar, yoga mat, wrist and ankle weights, weighted vest, step... I think that's about it.

Yeah I only work out at home and I've turned my bedroom into a gym that happens to have a bed in it.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Treadmill and recumbent bike at home for excercise, as well as duct tape over my mouth for restraint from over eating ;) Also have some free weights and an older Total Gym that is collecting dust.

No gym membership for me, thank you.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I'm simply curious... what (if any) equipment you have at home, or do you stick to the gym for your workouts?

I have a Bowflex, free weights, adjustable weight bench, adjustable barbells (5lbs to 55lbs each) with stand, Recumbent bike, elliptical, ab machine.
  • MrsJones98
    Options
    Both. I have a treadmill, husband has a rowing machine. I also have a yoga mat/block/strap for yoga class, as well as a set of hand weights and a set of resistance bands for when time does not allow me to go to the gym. We also have a gym membership. Right now, I run either outside or on the treadmill at home and use the gym for strength training. Sometimes it's more motivating to go someplace where I am uninterrupted by kids, husband and the cat! I get bored easily, so find it is useful to have to make a decision as to what to do and where to do it rather than to have very limited options. Being active does not come easily to me, so I have to keep it "fun" in some way.
  • RunLiftEat
    RunLiftEat Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have some Bowflex Selecttech dumbbells, and an exercise ball. Oh, and some quality running shoes.
  • Shawn_Marie
    Options

They worked the farm all day and only had what they grew or raised for food . . . they didn't need a gym or dumb bells . . . just saying
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    The only things we have here at home are a Wii (Wii Fit Plus with balance board & EA Sports Active 2). I also have 1 exercise video that's a VHS, lol. No treadmill, although I'd LOVE one for the cold months like now. And no gym membership, as none in our town offer childcare and I have a 2 1/2 year old.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Just came back to say, there are some really nice set ups here! :)
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    we have our own home gym in the garage - treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike, 2 station workout gym, weight bench, ab rail, power tower, plenty of hand weights, jump rope, and even a weighted hula hoop! right now im mostly sticking to treadmill (pulled it inside) and rotate jillian michaels dvd's due to the it being cold inside the garage :(
  • raelynn73
    Options
    I have an eliptical that I use every so often, I do go to the gym. I am thinking about getting my bowflex back from my sister(who doesnt use it). I also use the Wii fit, I do the balancing and the boxing or kick boxing, it gives a real good work out.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I have space for a home gym, but i love going the gym every day. I think it would be really nice to have both, though. Kind of tough to justify the expense, but if wishes were horses...