Going to the Gym with a stuffy nose?

Options
13»

Replies

• zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i try to go anyway, and if i'm feeling a bit wrong, i'll take it easy and do a light session instead of an intense session. i've been doing that all week this week, just cardio, nothing to strenuous... just to keep the motivation up, i actually tend to feel a bit better than if i'd sat home all day moping around.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on how sick I feel. If it's just a mild cold, yes. I actually feel better after working out. But if it feels like it might turn into the flu- no. I say home and get as much rest as possible.

Besides, let's be honest. There's already a **** ton of germs at the gym. When you compare it to other things we touch every day like doorknobs, public bathrooms, etc, I doubt it's any germy-er. If I wouldn't stay home from work or school sick, I probably won't avoid the gym either.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Sheesh! It's a public place and getting illnesses is INEVITABLE! If you can go to work when you're sick, go to the gym. Germaphobes can stay at home. Besides, you gotta build up you immune system anyway. So take your vitamins peeps. As much as you hate it, sick people are all around you... ALL the time... It's in the air you breathe...
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Sheesh! It's a public place and getting illnesses is INEVITABLE! If you can go to work when you're sick, go to the gym. Germaphobes can stay at home. Besides, you gotta build up you immune system anyway. So take your vitamins peeps. As much as you hate it, sick people are all around you... ALL the time... It's in the air you breathe...

People shouldn't go to work either, when they're sick. It's thanks to those people that I spent a whole week at home with a fever over 100, and in pain.
  • RunRunRepeat
    RunRunRepeat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Depends on how sick you really are. My allergist always lectures me about exercising too much when I have a sinus infection. He says (and I quote) "Exercising steals energy from your immune system. Your body gives energy priority to your muscles, so that if you have a stuffy nose you can still outrun a bear."

Love that guy.

Take it easy!
  • Shawn_Marie
    Options
    My opinion, just make sure you wipe down the machines you use. I would go if I feel up to the workout!
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options

Exactly, so why add to the germs at the gym? There's already enough.

But I agree with the vitamins part. I would ALWAYS get sick 2 weeks into a new semester because my body wasn't used to the germs on campus after a week or two of not being there. I dreaded going to the library and campus gym because I could FEEL all the germs around me (this was last year before my vitamin and healthier eating regime). Now I take my vitamins and haven't had a full out sickness yet (knock on wood). I take vitamin C everyday and zinc every two days. Works for me, might work for everyone else who gets easily sick :)
  • tonicia
    tonicia Posts: 145 Member
    Options

People shouldn't go to work either, when they're sick. It's thanks to those people that I spent a whole week at home with a fever over 100, and in pain.

its a cold for crap sake....sanitize before you get on the machine if you're so stressed about it.
  • mkallie
    mkallie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Be considerate. If you're going to spew germs all over the place exercise at home.

Otherwise, (wo)man up and get out there!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options

I'm seriously sorry to hear that. I have a good immune system and almost never get sick. Somehow, it always happens at the gym. I'll get sick for maybe a day, but it clears. I guess since most people don't listen and do it anyway, it makes it rather pointless for me to waste my time staying home. Thankfully for me, I can workout at home, but if I want to go to the gym, I just go. If I have a fever/nauseous (friggin' rare or never), I'll stay home.
  • CarolAnn0730
    Options
    I think this is an individual decision - I've been fighting a sore throat and stuffy nose for the last 3 days and I've skpped my Kick Boxing class for 2 of the 3...

Not sure if it's the right decision - but I am trying to listen to my body...
  • servilia
    Options
    I have a good immune system but everyone will get sick once in a while. There just happened to be a horrible strain of this going through my work. When I came back after my week off, it was like a hospital, I kid you not! EVERYONE was coughing and clearing phlegm (sorry), sneezing, and generally being gross. Unfortunately my work only gives 3 paid sick days a year (can you believe it) so no wonder people feel the need to go :(
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I have a good immune system but everyone will get sick once in a while. There just happened to be a horrible strain of this going through my work. When I came back after my week off, it was like a hospital, I kid you not! EVERYONE was coughing and clearing phlegm (sorry), sneezing, and generally being gross. Unfortunately my work only gives 3 paid sick days a year (can you believe it) so no wonder people feel the need to go :(

Sounds like they should look into the benefit package.. 3 days? that sucks!
  • servilia
    Options

Sounds like they should look into the benefit package.. 3 days? that sucks!

Yeah it does! :(