Breakfast Question

Options
I am not a breakfast eater - never have been. I function quite well on a couple of coffees until Lunch time. I hear very often through other programs that Breakfast is the most important meal of the day - and most people are more successful at losing weight when they do in fact eat breakfast. Is this true -- - - what are your thoughts on this?

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    it really depends on who you ask.
    personally, i think if you are able to stay within your calorie limit and dont find yourself hungry before lunch (and your workouts arent suffering) theres no reason for you to force down "breakfast" if you dont want to.
    some days i do, some days i dont.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I personally am a firm believer in breakfast. I didn't used to eat it and I was quite overweight. A close friend of mine was having trouble losing weight too and I told her to try eating breakfast, but she didn't. She did finally start losing weight though when she was diagnosed with diabetes and the the doctor told her to eat breakfast.

If its a problem for you, start small. Try a shake, it will feel more like drinking something. Or eat small things like a yogurt cup and slowly work up to an acceptable sized breakfast.
  • Davis576
    Options
    (deleted)
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    i would die without breakfast.... coffee isn't enough for me...
    you don't need to eat "cereal / pancakes / etc" for breakfast - if you prefer a burger, or pizza or anything else that would be ok too:embarassed:
  • TigersFanIndy34
    Options
    I say just do what works for you and what feels right. If you really do think you should have some breakfast but just don't feel like eating in the a.m. you could always do a quick light smoothie - even just some skim milk or soy milk with a little fruit & protein powder. Sometimes drinking the calories for breakfast works better for me! I often don't eat breakfast until I've been up for a few hours - I just don't feel like eating when I first wake up!
  • NicoleTaulman
    NicoleTaulman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have never been a breakfast eater until I start MFP. Now I have a filling breakfast of oatmeal and coffee (not instant oatmeal ... too much sugar) between 9 and 10 a.m. It really fills me up until about mid-afternoon. I am less hungry all day when I eat this. The real deal is, though, that by eating a healthy breakfast, your metabolism gets jump-started which is very important!
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Eat breakfast! :flowerforyou:
  • Ktylerw
    Ktylerw Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast every single day. I truly believe its the most important meal. i make time for it... i really do. some of my options are: oatmeal and toast, eggs, turkey sausage and toast, bagel thins and ff cream cheese....i try to eat carbs and protein in the morning since that is what gives you fuel. i've lost 33 pounds, and eating breakfast i think really helped. they say that when you eat breakfast, you consume less throughout the day...i consume a lot all the time i feel like, but thats what i hear
  • curlysueanne
    Options
    I am not hungry first thing in the morning, either. Coffee suits me fine, but since trying to eat better and exercise more, I also have heard how important it is. So I have been eating eggs. A lot of eggs. Its been about 2 months now, and I can tell a huge difference in my energy level, and I feel fuller, longer. I eat a 3 egg omelette-if I have time, w the extras--cheese, mushrooms, tomatoes etc. Sometimes, I am doing good to just scramble a few eggs. Its usually about 7 a.m. when I have this, then about 10 or 11 I will have a protein drink or some almonds. In 2 months I have lost 13 lbs., which is big for me/ (only aboout 4 since joining MFP)
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I've read that eating breakfast helps to boost the metabolism because you're basically forcing your body to start working earlier in the day.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,971 Member
    Options
    Be kind to yourself and eat breakfast. I taught school for years, and you could always tell the kids who didn't get breakfast, don't be one of them.
  • BarbiNay
    BarbiNay Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I personally am a firm believer in breakfast. I didn't used to eat it and I was quite overweight. A close friend of mine was having trouble losing weight too and I told her to try eating breakfast, but she didn't. She did finally start losing weight though when she was diagnosed with diabetes and the the doctor told her to eat breakfast.

If its a problem for you, start small. Try a shake, it will feel more like drinking something. Or eat small things like a yogurt cup and slowly work up to an acceptable sized breakfast.

That is exactly how I was and exactly what happened to me. I started eating breakfast the sugary snacking stopped. The high carb intake stopped. I had more energy and started losing weight.

I eat protein bars and a banana or a protein shake. That was it tastes a little sweet which is what I seem to crave in the mornings but it is a healthy option and boosts me metabolism. Now if I skip breakfast I get very hungry before lunch and yucky feelings.
  • Jd1360
    Jd1360 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I am with you. Not big on breakfast. However, I try to eat something. I usually grab a banana and a Starbucks Double Shot. It's small, but there is espresso involved. LOVE IT.
    Some of my friends argue "that isn't breakfast" but hey, to each their own!
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Just got in a debate about breakfast & weight-loss on another thread:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/414915-what-happens-if-you-don-t-eat-enough-calories

There are studies showing that it contributes to weight-loss.
  • Yakarobed
    Yakarobed Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Definitely, eat breakfast....

There's lots of reasons but evening out blood sugar levels during the day is a big one for me. I do carefully measure my carbs because my body reacts better to a higher protein, lower carb eating style. However, since I limit my carbs to 15 (don't count the carbs in non-starchy veggies) per meal, then I must eat 3 meals and 2 snacks.

It sounds like a lot but some of my meals are an egg, sauteed onion, pepper, mushroom or tomatoes, and either a small apple, grits, oatmeal for my carb. Serving size for grits or oatmeal is a 1/2 cup cooked.

Snacks are generally sunflower seeds, celery and peanut butter, or almonds.
  • geco22
    geco22 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Eat breakfast - it does kick start your metabolism for the day and increases your weightloss. And think about this - if you eat dinner at 6 pm and it's your last meal for the day, does it really make sense to wait 18 hours to eat again?? But, if you really don't like eating breakfast, it would be good to start small, maybe with a small shake, a yogurt of piece of fruit.
  • dawnrford
    dawnrford Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was never a big breakfast eater either. I love breakfast food, just not a breakfast time. But I started eating something small in the mornings because everything I read regarding weight loss said not to skip it. The biggest reason is that it revs up your metabolism for the day. Skipping breakfast may save you calories, but it significantly slows the metabolism so when you do eat later, it takes longer to burn those calories. I have found this particularly to be true the older I got as my metabolism started to slow with age. (not that I'm *that* old). I still don't eat a big breakfast. usually a yogurt then have a piece of fruit mid morning. Sometimes I'll do the oatmeal packets (yes instant). I usually go for the reduced sugar but they still only have about 130 calories (depending, of course, which kind you buy) I do drink a lot of coffee though. I just try to get quick easy stuff. I'm not at all a morning person so find myself running out the door to work so I eat a my yogurt or oatmeal when I get to work.

Those are just my thoughts and what works for me. Of course you will get lots of opinions but need to find what works for you.
  • rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    are you kidding?? Breakfast is VERY important. it's almost better to eat a donut than nothing at all.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Eat when you are hungry, don't eat when you're not. Either way, you're still eating breakfast because that's the meal that "breaks your fast". :flowerforyou:
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't know how people can't eat breakfast. It's my favourite meal!