Do you still eat carbs

Options

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I had a dream that one day that white carbs and brown carbs, simple and complex were enjoyed together in perfect harmony and moderation. The only foods that should be discriminated against are the ones that taste bad :)

Love.

I eat a LOT of carbs. Even real sugar in my coffee.
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs as I cycle 40 miles a day
  • AmandaJoi25
    Options
    I tried Atkins. I was slowly losing weight but hated not having fruit and being limited on veggies and I am not much of an egg or meat eater so it sucked. I was also always starving and dead tired so not able to exercise and taking naps during the day. It's not for me because I know I can't live the rest of my life that way. I think it's better to just eat everything in moderation but everyones different and some people lose weight and stay with it for years. I had a female coworker who was on it for almost 3 years but I haven't seen her in years so don't know about whats going on now.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I LUV tortillas!
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation.....and this isn't a diet, this is a lifestyle change! :wink:

This, and i have PCOS so maybe should eat less carbs but i dont. My weight loss might be slow 20lbs in 160 days but i am very toned with it which is good enough for me
  • roseemb
    roseemb Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I lost 60lbs one time by doing Atkins (very low carb) and did it really fast. However, while it worked that time, the minute I added carbs back into my diet, my weight ballooned right back up. Eliminating carbs (or any thing) can often work against you. I also think the low carb thing messed up my metabolism a bit, because when I tried doing it again a few years later, it didn't work at all.

Everything in moderation - including moderation!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I keep an eye on my carb intake - only because I'm diabetic.
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I eat plenty of carbs, but I try not to go crazy on them (on a bad day, I could eat a whole loaf of good bakery bread) and I try to make as many as possible "good" carbs. Apples have carbs, and I'm certainly not cutting them out. I eat rice, but it's usually brown rice. I eat bread, but keep moderate portions. Potatoes are carb heavy, but they also have potassium & fiber, among other nutrients. I had oatmeal for breakfast this morning. Carbs are not the enemy!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    It's entirely possible to lose weight and still eat "bad" carbs. I stay away from bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes because I feel better and train better when I eat a cleaner diet. But I lost a lot of weight before I decided to go that route, so I'm well aware that it's not something I "have" to do. It's just my preference.

As with everything else related to weight loss/maintenance, you have to figure out what you can live with. It does no good at all to go ketogenic with your diet, lose a bunch of weight, and then go back to eating carbs all the time.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I love carbs. Yummy yummy carbs.
    That being said, I try to get the most nutritional "bang" for my caloric "buck" so I typically choose REAL FOOD carbs, not processed junk.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    hell yes I eat carbs! I've cut down on the amount of potatoes I have with meals, and upped the other veg, but that's about it
  • Ghlt4
    Ghlt4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of carbs. I avoid simple carbs and eat whole grains complex carbs.
  • allthatstuff1984
    Options
    Can you tell me who is the author of Wheat Belly?
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Yup..not processed-real! yumm
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Life without bread and butter is not worth living, IMO :-)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Can you tell me who is the author of Wheat Belly?
    Dr. William Davis

I just googled to see if I could find an objective assessment on it, but all I get are sites dedicated to its greatness, mostly blogs or the author's site.

If you have celiac or an intolerance to gluten, you need to cut it out. But most of us do not and gluten isn't bad for otherwise healthy humans.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

If you have celiac or an intolerance to gluten, you need to cut it out. But most of us do not and gluten isn't bad for otherwise healthy humans.

^ That.
  • susanofscottsdale
    Options
    i always hear from a lot of people on diets that they completely banish carbs from their diet but why is this. Is it impossible to loose weight and still eat carbs?? Xx

why is it? People are falsely lead to beleive that low carb diets have a metabolic advantage. Also some find higher fat and protein more satiating then carbs and easier to adhere to their diets. And sometimes people have a metabolic disorder and have to go lowish carb

but no you don't have to banish carbs from your diet to lose weight

I love it when informed responses are posted. I would like to add that you need to find what works for you with regards to carbs. For it it was a breakthrough, life changing event to learn that if I manage calories and carbs I feel better and lose weight. I had years of frustration and very uneven results attempting to lose weight managing calories alone.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight eating carbs. I just made sure I had room for them in ny calories.. I recently cut out wheat for health reasons but I still plan on eating bread and pasta just the gluten free version!
  • felicityksr
    felicityksr Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins several years ago and lost over 40 pounds but I truly missed my breads, pastas, potatoes, etc. Needless to say, I didn't remain on Atkins. I love my carbs!! They are what keep me going on MFP. I just watch my portion control better these days.