How Many Calories are you Eating a Day?

Options
I'm 5'7" .. Currently 168 want to lose about 20 more lbs. My "goal" on here is 1200 calories a day but I've noticed some people say that may be too little?

I'm not a big exercise person .. I know I need to try to get in some cardio at least a couple days a week but it's very hard having 2 children and working full time! But when I do I eat my calories back (usually only burn around 200 anyway)

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3", around 150 and eating 1,500 to 2,000 a day (and exercising).

I was eating a lot less, but my losses stalled and then I started gaining, so I tried eating more and started losing again.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    5"2 around 117 mainly 1800-2000+ daily prior to that 1400-1600 and weight would not budge. and working out and eating most of those too.
  • gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" .. Currently 168 want to lose about 20 more lbs. My "goal" on here is 1200 calories a day but I've noticed some people say that may be too little?

I'm not a big exercise person .. I know I need to try to get in some cardio at least a couple days a week but it's very hard having 2 children and working full time! But when I do I eat my calories back (usually only burn around 200 anyway)

We have simalar goals im 5/8 160 trying to loose at least 20 pounds! I am supposed to eat @ 1200 cal also. its possible you just need to eat the right foods that fill you up! fruits veggies whole grains and LEAN meats! you can do it! good luck and add if you need support
  • CRSE1214
    CRSE1214 Posts: 196 Member
    Options

I work full-time and have two toddlers as well and have, until now, used that as excuse not to exercise. I'm making the time (even when I so don't want to) even if its only 10-20 minutes each day. You deserve it ;-)
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    It depends. Typically anywhere from 1400-1600 net, though I'm finding it difficult to pick one number and commit. I usually aim for 1400 and go over by 200, so maybe my body just really wants 1600!

Oh, and I'm 5'4" and 134 pounds, looking to lose another 10-15.
  • casirdms
    casirdms Posts: 145 Member
    Options

I work full-time and have two toddlers as well and have, until now, used that as excuse not to exercise. I'm making the time (even when I so don't want to) even if its only 10-20 minutes each day. You deserve it ;-)

So true.. I would really like to start doing Zumba. But if I can't find the time to do that maybe I can at least get on my treadmill for a bit a day. .. if I can clean it off from being a coat rack ;) lol
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" currently 172.5 (as of this morning - can I get a "hell yeah!"?) and eat 1450. (I also eat back any exercise calories, but I only track true exercise (i.e. I don't track cleaning or walking around campus.) Recently I upped that from 1400 because I was in a plateau for 2 months. the extra 50 calories seems to have helped because in the past 2 weeks, I have lost 3 lbs.
  • casirdms
    casirdms Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It just baffles my mind to think that you can lose more by eating more. Maybe I will try 1350 or 1400 for awhile? hmm
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2, and I'm eating about 1600 (non-exercise days) and 2000+ (exercise days). I"m set to lose about 0.3-0.5 lbs per week
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'm 40, female and 5'9". I weigh 156 right now (trying to get to 145). My calorie goal is set to 1720, but with exercise I usually eat between 2000-2300 calories a day.
  • dianeellen2
    dianeellen2 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    i am 5'6 and have worked my way down to 1200 but i do eat most exercise calories now

I didnt used to and i am not an exercise person (i dont go jogging or pump iron) i walk, into town, to the shops etc. Usually for about an hour at a moderate pace which gives me about 250 (ish) exercise calories a day of which i usually eat about 200 of (usually in a treat) Makes me want to do the walk if i know i will have achoc bar to use the calories.

I have been loosing between 1 - 2lb a week

Diane
  • Lokisul
    Options
    You wont loose any weight on 1200 calories a day, as thats the bare minimum you need to keep going. Your body will hit starvation mode and stop you from loosing weight.

It takes a lot of getting used to, but eventually you find that in order to loose weight you need to eat, and you need to exercise.

Never drop below 1200 if you are doing under, I struggle to eat 1600, but if I dont then my weight loss stops
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2", 126. I MAINTAIN at 1800-1900 calories without intentional exercise. I'm very fidgety and twitchy though. I eat about that most of the time and just workout if I want to have a deficit that day, but quite often I'll eat much much more :laugh: I don't lose if I net less than 1500-1600. The less you have to lose, the smaller your deficit needs to be.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and I weight about 197. MFP is set to a goal of 1650. That would have me losing about 1 lb a week. In reality, I try to eat about 1400 a day, which puts me at 1.5lbs lost a week. That 1400 number is tough for me whence the reason my goal is set higher.
  • Jenn638
    Jenn638 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    i stick to 1200 but if you exercise than you have to eat those calories as well. i was told you always have to eat the net calories. so if you burn off 400 calories on a run than you have to eat an extra 400 calories. When you do that and are drinking water (not soda) your metabolism works better and faster, so you burn more. its about getting your body what it needs.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" 174 lbs, don't want to loos any more, and Work out an average of 600 cals/day and eat an average on 2400 cals per day.
    Lift weights 3 days a week, cardio every day. Want to tone my body, (30%/30%/40%) = (carb/protein/fat)

I am estimating it will take a bout a year to get the lean and toned body I am looking for.
  • fittyfittybumbum
    Options
    Greetings:
    I'm no expert, but i wanna offer my perspective. I think that may be too litte and unreasonable because being a mom of two toddlers, and working full-time, your're gonna need fuel to get you through the day and power you through workouts. Also, When you're not getting enough food, your body goes into preservation mode. Your body goes "oh crap, i'm being starved, im not gonna burn as much fat so i can survive". You want to eat well balanced meals and healthy snacks throughout the day to keep that metabolism revving, to keep the pounds melting off...for good. And besides who wants to be miserable with only 1200 calories. Im miserable with 1320 calories as my daily goal...but each day is getting better

Wishing you sucess,
    Crys
  • kaysue160
    Options
    There are several Zumba DVDs available. I know it isn't the same as a class, but Ripped breaks the workout in half - so two 30 minute workouts and there are two other DVDs with works outs 30min or less. It really gets your heart going, tones muscles, and fits in during a nap.
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I have my goal set at 1390 and I try to net that or as close to it as possible.. Some times I go over.. Recently I've been watching my carbs/sugar intake and I've lost a few lbs by just doing that... I haven't lost any weight in forever and finally I'm getting the scale to move.. Not that carbs or sugars are bad, and I'm going without.. I'm just monitoring them.... Good luck!!
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Play around with it and find out what works for you.