Men do you?

Options

Replies

• jmgcummins
    jmgcummins Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    We buy a gift for the both of us. This year we bought a new bed (much needed as we were in a double) . Next year we are going to spend our money on a vacation (probably January 2013). I do buy little stuff to put in our stockings though.
  • suky424
    suky424 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My boyfried asked me for a list this year (I like to be surprised so I didn't really want to do it but I did anyway) last night he told me he hasn't got me anything from the list .... WHY DID HE BOTHER ASKING ME TO DO THE LIST ... He is so annoying!!!!
  • jsteffen80
    Options
    There is no way my wife and I would think of doing that (wrapping our own presents -- that's just weird). But we do a mix of knowing what we're getting each other and not knowing. Usually I know some of what I'm getting, but I rarely let her know what she's getting... she can usually figure some of it out.
  • Weathers58
    Weathers58 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I always buy my wifes present and always get her something she wasnt expecting as well.

I think choosing thought and time go into the gift as well as merely giving it.
    xxx
  • CharityPearce
    Options
    *********I should note that I can't stand the commercialized Christmas and would rather be on an island.************

I love this idea!!!!! I love the music, the lights, the spirit, but the commercialization gets a little exhausting. I'd love to save the $$$ spent on gifts and take a lovely island vacation in January!!!

That being said, we've done it both ways. This year, I asked him to just choose something. I wanted to be surprised. He did however take me shopping and asked me if a Kindle Fire would be something I would enjoy. My 18 year old son (who I have to admit is also one of my best friends), told him that would be the perfect gift. I'm an avid reader. My hubby's choices tend to lean toward jewelry (which is nice also, but I'm pretty minimalist when it comes to jewelry), and strange clothing (which I believe he has his mother help him choose). I always appreciate the thought, though. I know he means well whatever he buys.
  • Football_N_Guns
    Football_N_Guns Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Nope. If we want something throughout the year, we get it. Once in awhile I will surprise her with a small gift or flowers.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I personally think that Christmas should be for the kids and my husband and I should not buy each other anything, as we can buy stuff for ourselves/each other throughout the year. Anniversaries, birthdays and Valentine's are days I would think should be reserved for gift giving, but my husband does not see it that way, so presents for each other, it is...

ETA: We are not rolling in the dough right now and are looking to move, so we are trying to save up to move. This is my reasoning for preferring not to buy presents for each other.
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Im not a man, but this year I decided I wanted a tablet and he decided he wanted a new video card for his computer. So we went to best buy a few months ago and bought those items and we are both happy.
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options
    I buy it, usually last minute b/c she's a huge snooper, or hide it so well even I can't find it. It's not my fault, she does it to herself. :laugh:
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    here's the deal: I've been married nearly 12 years, he's already impressed me, I'm not concerned with him proving he can read my mind and take my breath away with surprise every year. Whenever I need or want something, I usually get it, so around xmas time there's really nothing hanging in the air that he knows I've been wanting -so he needs my help! We would both rather get what we want since we work hard for our money, and who likes exchanging and returning after xmas? We usually do a couple small things for each other that the other doesn't know about, like cologne, jewelry, etc. but the big gifts we both have a say in what's under the tree for us!
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I always have to go with him & choose my pressie....be it birthday or Christmas, so never any surprises. but he's always very generous & I'm allowed more than 1 thing! Would love to be surpised one year though,,,,,when he used to buy presents, it was bubble bath all the way (literally bottles of the stuff.....)
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    There's one womens store in town. I heard on the radio they have whatever gift thing setup. The lady goes in, writes down what she wants...and her family/husband can go in and buy it for her for Christmas.

I was kinda mad. Really?.......

I buy things I feel people need, or could use, or help them.

This year I actually bought my brother a few ornaments. Sounds dumb, but they're a collection of things he/we liked growing up. A ninja turtle (we were obsessed, and were them for halloween), the vehicle from ghostbusters, his favorite nba player growing up...etc. So every time Christmas comes around and he decorates (he lives 2000km away) He'll think of us, growing up and the fun times we had.

I used to buy stuff just for the sake of buying stuff. But it's evolved into actual things I think have meaning, and less about it just being a gift, or something they'd just buy themself.
  • heathhumble
    Options
    My wife will give me several Ideas of what she wants than I will choose the one I think she will like the most.This year she is getting a Kindle Fire from Amazon.:bigsmile:
  • GytIrDun
    GytIrDun Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Heh, one of the best ways NOT to get something is to put it on a list and give it to me...I enjoy looking around/shopping. I get a lot of joy giving people things (I could honestly care less if I get anything), and I look around all year for things that I think my wife or children would enjoy--especially if it's something they may never come across on their own. Most of the time, I actually hold it til Christmas :)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    My husband and I do 'Christmas Wish Lists" to each other. We will put a list of items together of things we would love to have... We both listed about 30 items...

That doesnt mean we will purchase all 30 items, but it leaves a 'hmmm I wonder what he was able to find?"

Often it will be items that I cant find, but he knows exactly where to look.
    Or - items that HE cant find, but I know exactly where to look....

Its fun this way! You never know what we manage to find.... ESPECIALLY the hard-to-find gifts.. in a sick mental way, its actually fun to see if we can pull it off because the other just kept failing at getting it! LOL!
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    One time I got my gf some pots, pans,broom, mop,duster,and vacum for Xmas. She did not like those gifts one bit. She never learned how to use any of it. Guess I should've given her something with diamonds in it. Oh well we arent together anymore.
  • Fitgirlrocks
    Fitgirlrocks Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Before my dad died, there was a system. My mom would find what she wanted and buy it. I would take it home to my dad, show him, tell him how much I thought Mom would like it. He would give me the money for it, I would split the money with Mom. My Mom would be "surprised" on Christmas morning, my dad was thrilled that 'he" bought her something she truly liked, and I enjoyed the money. My dad never knew about our system and was always so pleased to see that my mom loved her Christmas gift. BTW, since I was the primary shopper for my mother's Christmas gifts since the age of 9, this system paid a big portion of my first car when I was 15. Woot, woot. Everyone was happy.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I usually ask her for a list, get something off the list of crap she wants then go off and find a surprise for her on my own. Some times it's a success. Some times (last year, for instance) it gets returned and she buys something else she'd rather have.
  • Lokisul
    Options
    Thats truely awful. I think I spent £230 on my wife this year, about half of that are things that she has told me she wanted throughout the year and I have kept note of it on my phone, and the rest are things that I think she will want.

Oh and I also buy her something from our son too.

Getting your wife to buy her own presents is just wrong!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    If I'm not specific about what I want for gifts, he'll take some random thing I said and get it. For example, "Man, I really want a DVD/VCR player (this was back in the dayz)" And he'll get it for Christmas, and I'll open it and be like, "Ohhhhhhhhhh..... wow, it's a DVD/VCR player.... Ohhhhhhhhhhhh..." Unable to hide disappointment... LOL that was a long time ago but I"ll never forget. I care more about what I want than a stupid surprise. Now I joke all the time and if I say I want something, I'll be like, "...That doesn't mean I want if for Christmas or my birthday!" He'll get me something he knows I want and surprise me with something he wants to give me. He's learned!