Firearms in your home??

Options
12345679»

Replies

• Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    Why not compromise and keep them in a gun safe? If he's around them and he knows what he's doing, and they are locked safe, it would be ok.

Then again, this is coming from someone who has guns in his house and lives in Arizona, where we have virtually no gun laws :-)
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    OH HEELLLLLLLLLLLL NO!!!!!!!!

I am SO THANKFUL and GRATEFUL that gun laws are more strict here (in Canada) than in the states. The stats speak for themselves... the more guns, the more gun accidents/injuries/deaths.

Sure, I could get trained and knowledgable about proper handling and keep it locked up but I'd rather not have to bother with all those extra precautions, I would REFUSE to have guns - any type of gun - in or near my house. All it takes is one person figuring out where the keys are, or someone accidentally forgetting to lock it up properly, for something to go terribly wrong or for the gun to be used for the wrong purpose (read: suicide or killing people!! seriously). Not to mention - yes in SOME cases guns can be used maybe to save a life in a B&E situation, however.... from my understanding, most of the time its a friend or family member mistaken for an intruder that gets shot.

To repeat my previous statement oh HELLL NO

I'm sorry your country doesn't allow you the simple freedom of owning a weapon. Best to keep them out of the hands of irresponsible people.
    Incorrect. in Canada you can own a gun. You just have to take the safety course. And pass the background checks. Then the gun is registered to you. If said gun is used to shoot someone, you go to jail.
    We make it just a lot tougher than the US to obtain the guns.

Those sound like the same gun laws in my state to obtain a weapon. Gun safety course, background, fingerprinting, written application with reasons and references approved or denied by the police chief. Gun laws are state regulations, not federal, so it's not tougher to get one in Canada than where I live.

And criminals will not follow the law and get them from other criminals anyway - all the laws in world won't stop them.
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options
    I wouldn't even consider having a firearm in the house. Mind you, we live in Canada ... half the houses aren't even locked. I love it here and wouldn't consider leaving either.
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It's as simple as getting a gun cabinet.
  • brvanover
    Options
    It's a personal opinion, but we have a few guns in our apartment. We keep one by our bed, one in the living room, and one in my fiances vehicle. I personally feel more comfortable knowing they are there, even though I think it's extremely unlikely they will ever have to be used. As long as everyone knows how to properly use them, I don't see a problem having them in the house. We don't have kids or anythings, just the two of us so we don't keep them locked up or anything.
  • cjipping
    cjipping Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    From my personal experience, the only reason to be afraid of guns is because you don't understand how they work. I grew up in a household were my step-dad was a certified CCW (concealed carry license) trainer, and a high medal winning marksmanship. There were probably 25 guns in the house. I hated them, they scared me, and I never wanted to touch one. BUT when someone was trying to break into our house, let me tell you that i was THANKFUL that we had self defense.

As soon as I turned 21 my step dad wanted me to get my CCW and learn about guns. I have major respect for them now, I understand how they work, and how to keep them SAFELY stored in the house. I do carry when I am alone on a long trip or going somewhere that I'm unfamiliar with.

My suggestion is to ask him to take a few gun safety classes with you and get your CCW together if he doesn't already have one. Get the proper storage so they are locked up when not in use. And if he won't do that....then (i believe) he doesn't respect you.
  • TigersFanIndy34
    Options
    I have told my husband that the only dealbreakers in our marriage would be adultry or bringing a gun in this home. I am that against them. A 6 month old baby in my neighborhood was killed by her 7 year old brother. I have children in my home. NO way would a gun be in this house. The investigation showed that the gun was locked, the key was put up and the bullets were in a seperate location. These were good parents who'd taught their kids right from wrong. However, to a young child who doesn't comprehend the reality of DEATH a gun still seems like a cool thing to check out and kids are more resourceful then we give them credit for. All I can ever think about when talk of guns comes up is what that family has to live with, losing their baby, having their son have to grow up with that. Horrible.
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    First of all, it's not a firearm problem, it's a firearm safety problem in this world. There is nothing wrong with a safe firearm. Do we want to compare home stabbings verses shootings? But that's not even really the point ...

The real issue and it's something that can't be solved on MFP, sorry, is something far greater. If this is going to "come between you" two, then you really need to sit with him, a friend, someone that you can trust (whomever), and work this out. He needs to respect your perspective, and vice versa, and if both of you can't come to an agreement on this and this is going to jeopardize the actual relationship, there are other more significant issue.

Seek counseling from friends you know and trust on this issue ... every situation and relationship is different ... too many disconnected opinions on an environment like this where people aren't really involved in your life. It can be a great tool, but a relationship needs much more serious and real attention.

I truly wish you the best of luck resolving this, I'm so sorry this is causing tension. :(

~Matt
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Accidents happen with everything and its usually because someone is acting stupid. Guns are not as bad as people think. I have a few guns and they are always locked up and loaded. I take every precaution when handling them and teach my kids the same.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    My husband is a police officer and because of that we have always had his police gun in our home. Until recently, and now he is able to keep it in his locker at work. Our children all know not to touch it and it is just a way of life for us, we don't give it a second thought.
  • Purecity
    Purecity Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I believe in having firearms inside homes when there are people who know how to handle them inside the home. Untrained people and guns can cause some serious problems. If your boyfriend is already trained, maybe you should take a class to become familiar with guns and how to handle them. I also will suggest a locked gun box for you to store these items away from children or guests inside your home.
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    People are scared of what they dont know! I would suggest learning how to handle a gun. Take a safety course.
    Also Get a gun safe. Guns are not the problem its the ignorant people that misuse guns.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    We have farm animals. Guns are necissary. If one of my guard donkeys or a sheep was injured to the point where they were in a lot of pain or I knew a vet could do nothing for them we would have to put them down. We also use them as protection for our animals as the coyotes(and occasionally bears, and other predators) have been very persistent this year. The guns are locked up, unloaded, and the keys and ammo are stored seperatley from each other as well in a safe place away fron the cabinet, known only to me and my husband. My oldest boy so far has taken a gun safety course and will take more as he grows as he is only 11. He has been allowed to target shoot but only with my husband present. He will not be allowed to hunt on his own or handle a gun unsupervised until we are 100% sure of his capabilities and maturity. Not before 16 at least.

I have no issue with guns and as long as the storage issue is dealt with I really don't see the problem.
  • Indy_Mario
    Options
    I got a Red Rider that is always at the ready!

I also *flexes* boom, canons!
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    By FAR the most dangerous thing you can own & operate, that kills the most people every year is a car. But most people feel that if they are trained properly and use it appropriately, they are fine with it. Just as with anything else, it comes down to being educated on how to use it and mitigating risks.
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    I am not against firearms in the home. We have many but like many people say .. first its a personal choice and second they should be secured safely within the proper storage place and everyone living in that home both young and old should be educated on the safety and dangers of firearms... Our ammo is kept seperately and out of reach of children and the firearms are locked securely.
    In fact we had a stranger at our home last night and we thougnt he was trying to break in so within 2 minutes we had our handgun unlocked and loaded and in my Hubby's hand to safeguard our family. I will never not have some type of gun in my home but it will never be lying around for a child or adult to reach and the ammo will always be put away safely and guns are never left loaded.