$20 to spend at Whole Foods: What would you buy?

Options

Replies

• Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    almond butter!!!

I'm definitely getting some sort of nut butter since I'm almost out. Or if the bulk nuts are cheaper I'll get those and grind my own. :)
  • Sweet_Potato
    Options
    The flaxseed oil is a good suggestion, and I'm really curious about the coconut butter. Is that more like a butter that you'd fry or bake with, or more like a nut butter that you'd spread on toast?
    I made my own coconut butter last night using unsweetened shredded coconut from whole foods (I used it to make vegan fudge). It is so good! I don't think it'd be good to fry something with--definently something to spread on toast or eat off a spoon :)

Edited to fix typo

How do you make coconut butter? Just zip the flakes in a food processor?
  • _Peacebone_
    _Peacebone_ Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Yep! It takes about 10-20 mins on high, and it's much more economical than buying the butter!
  • kate_n_pjs
    kate_n_pjs Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I shop at whole foods all the time. The salad bar is the best when I dont feel like cooking and dont want to go out to eat. When that deal from living social came out I bought the max (2) and had my boyfriend get one!! They were gone in a week. Usually we get produce, hummus, bread, tofu, cereal and milk, lots of canned goods to make soup and chili but when we had the coupons we bought supplements and vitamins and hit up the salad bar!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    For produce, I would check out the Dirty Dozen list (Google) as well as the Clean 15 to make sure that your dollars go toward buying organic food that will truly benefit you by being organic. That's one way to stretch your Whole Foods dollars. Another is to visit their web site and print coupons. If you hit Couponing101.com, they list some good deals that Whole Foods has this week. And, if I remember correctly, their bulk prices are pretty reasonable.
  • Iwillshyne
    Options
    a vitamin supplement
  • toasterlisa
    toasterlisa Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I would go to the bulk section and get quinoa, wild rice, nuts and that sort of stuff because their bulk section is truly cheaper than buying it at my "regular" grocery store.

Best wishes on your health and wellness journey!
  • johnlewismodel
    Options
    Chicken :devil:
  • jamja
    jamja Posts: 190
    Options
    Quinoa (bulk $3.69/lb), unsweetened almond milk from the refrigerated area and Alvarado street Lifestyle Bread - a low glycemic bread
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    The flaxseed oil is a good suggestion, and I'm really curious about the coconut butter. Is that more like a butter that you'd fry or bake with, or more like a nut butter that you'd spread on toast?
    I made my own coconut butter last night using unsweetened shredded coconut from whole foods (I used it to make vegan fudge). It is so good! I don't think it'd be good to fry something with--definently something to spread on toast or eat off a spoon :)

Edited to fix typo

This! Make your own coconut butter. All you have to do is food process shredded coconut for awhile and it turns into a creamy butter :)
  • jbramblett
    Options
    They used to carry dehydrated refried black beans. I hydrate them, spread them on spinach tortillas with fresh diced roma tomato and soy cheese.
  • musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Meat! (if you're not a vegetarian) Their meats are SOOOO great!
  • IsleOfThanet
    Options
    I don't even have to cross the street, just a round the corner or I can go out the back door and cut through the alley so I do nearly all of my food shopping at WF.

Check out the

- Changing Seas Smoked Salmon
    - Weleda Shaving Cream
    - Weleda Sage Deodorant
    - Cascadian Farm Wild Blueberries (frozen)
    - Cascadian Farm Strawberries (frozen)
    - wine section
    - cheese section

In the front of the store you will find a circular that comes out every couple of months filled with coupons and some recipes.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I bought that deal too, and actually a friend sold me hers. I used them right away.

Last time and this time too, I'm going to get their Soy Decadent ice cream, as well as their Rice Dream ice cream. While I'm there, I get their $2.50 baggy salads which are cheaper than my local store and Trader Joe.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Options
    I don't even have to cross the street, just a round the corner or I can go out the back door and cut through the alley so I do nearly all of my food shopping at WF.

Yeah, there are no Whole Foods here on the eastern side of the city. But I can go around the corner or through an alley and be at Eastern Market. :)
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Yeah... any of the dirty dozen in Organic version... frozen fruit for smoothies... quinoa, fancy rices, whole grain or ancient grain pastas... and if the bagged salads are fresh, I'd grab those too!
  • Egilkey
    Options
    If you're like me and want to have $20 get a few days worth of food/meals I suggest the following to mix and match: (I know it's over $20 for you technical people just giving you options)

Living butter lettuce: 3.99
    Spinach: 5.99
    Hummus: 2.99
    Soy milk 2 for $4
    Cereal: $3-5$ Depending on what kind
    Salad Dressing 3.99
    Already sliced bell peppers onions, cilantro - $7 (worth every penny)
    Soup (great selections) 2 for $4
  • megansoriano
    Options
    A couple of containers of pre-cut mango! DELICIOUS!!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Wine and chocolate... maybe some cheese.
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    the organic vanilla salt body scrub in the whole body section.

and an organic T-shirt:heart: