How Many Calories are you Eating a Day?

Options
1235»

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" and currently about 137-139 (depends on when I weigh LOL), I manually set my goal to 1350 (just over BMR) but I also eat my exercise calories, so most days I eat about 1800 total since I exercise every day if I'm not travelling. Even when I travel and don't get to exercise, I generally still eat higher than my BMR but try not to go much over maintenance (which is around 1700-ish).
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,221 Member
    Options
    You wont loose any weight on 1200 calories a day, as thats the bare minimum you need to keep going. Your body will hit starvation mode and stop you from loosing weight.

It takes a lot of getting used to, but eventually you find that in order to loose weight you need to eat, and you need to exercise.

Never drop below 1200 if you are doing under, I struggle to eat 1600, but if I dont then my weight loss stops

That is a completely false generalization. *Some* people may have problems loosing weight on 1200 calories a day, but as many people have stated a million times before everyone is different. I have been on 1200 calories a day for four months and I have lost 59 pounds, but according to your words that is impossible. It's not. Please don't use a blanket statement that is *not* true in 100% of the cases out there. And acknowledging that the numbers vary a bit person to person... you contradicted yourself in back to back sentences. With 1200 as the bare minimum to keep going, eating 1200 will keep you going. Starvation mode wouldn't kick in at the bare minimum to keep going.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7 and about 188lbs. I net on average 1550 a day. I tend to eat lower during the week and have cheat days on the weekends, so 1300-1400 mon -thurs and 1650-1800 Fri - Sat.

I also work out about 5 days a week and eat most of those calories, though I don't record calories burned for strength training.

I just broke through a two month plateau. :-)
  • eddyca
    eddyca Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and i've been eating between 550-1000 calories. I feel full when i'm done eating and i haven't been feeling faint or anything. So i think it's okay. But i'm also excercising as well. It just depends on your body i guess

That is very dangerous.

I agree, even more so with the exercise. Your body needs way more than 550 calories to be able to do things like get out of bed, take a shower, brush your teeth, prepare the 550 calories worth of food you're putting into it. If you were driving to California from New York, would it be better to start off with a full tank of gas or a quarter of a tank? Even though the check fuel light isn't on on the dashboard, doesn't mean you shouldn't take the time to stop and fill it. If you're filling fast, try eating more calorie rich foods like avocados and nuts. That way, you're getting more bang for your buck and filling that tank!
    My BMR is 1,660, so I would need that many cals just to survive in a comatose state! So I wouldn't be able to function if I continuously ate 1,200 cals a day... but everyone's needs are different.
  • casirdms
    casirdms Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" .. Currently 168 want to lose about 20 more lbs. My "goal" on here is 1200 calories a day but I've noticed some people say that may be too little?

I'm not a big exercise person .. I know I need to try to get in some cardio at least a couple days a week but it's very hard having 2 children and working full time! But when I do I eat my calories back (usually only burn around 200 anyway)

I work full-time and have two toddlers as well and have, until now, used that as excuse not to exercise. I'm making the time (even when I so don't want to) even if its only 10-20 minutes each day. You deserve it ;-)

So true.. I would really like to start doing Zumba. But if I can't find the time to do that maybe I can at least get on my treadmill for a bit a day. .. if I can clean it off from being a coat rack ;) lol

I also have two kids, and while I am a stay-at-home Mom, I am still super busy. I make and sell handmade items, and I homeschool. I know finding the time can be difficult, but here is an interesting little tidbit- 3 10-minute workouts throughout the day are just as effective as 1 30-minute workout! So maybe you can't get a full 30 minutes, but may you can find a few 10-minute blocks here and there????

This sounds like something I might could do .. even just running up and down the stairs on my breaks at work in between patients :p
  • Slaying_All_Day
    Slaying_All_Day Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've noticed I can eat 1200 for a little bit, but eventually a couple of up days scattered here and there helps with weightloss more.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and 254 pounds and according to this site I am suppose to eat 1,370 calories. I am exercising though so I usually eat some of my exercise calories and get between 1600-1700 a day. Before using this site I ate between 1800-2100 calories a day and work out but did not count the calories I burned when eating. That was at the recommendation of a personal trainer.
  • HealthyHappy120
    Options
    at 5'3 i'm eating 1,400 right now! Zig zagging throughout the week though. Add me! :)
  • casirdms
    casirdms Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7 and about 188lbs. I net on average 1550 a day. I tend to eat lower during the week and have cheat days on the weekends, so 1300-1400 mon -thurs and 1650-1800 Fri - Sat.

I also work out about 5 days a week and eat most of those calories, though I don't record calories burned for strength training.

I just broke through a two month plateau. :-)

This is what I find myself doing too .. less on weekdays and more on weekends. Specifically Saturdays when I have my bottle of wine at night! ha :p
  • 08caseyk
    Options
    If you looked at my diary it wouldn't seem like it would be that few calories, but thats what it adds up to be.
    I started off being 278 lbs. That's what i weighed the day i had my son on october 3rd.. I'm currently 232. i'm also 5'2. I feel alot better with what i'm eating now, then with the way i was eatin before. I went as low as 450 calories one day, but my boyfriend was concerned so i've been eating a little more. My max i usually eat is around 950ish
  • Xtina_Beba
    Options
    I'm 5'7" .. Currently 168 want to lose about 20 more lbs. My "goal" on here is 1200 calories a day but I've noticed some people say that may be too little?

I'm not a big exercise person .. I know I need to try to get in some cardio at least a couple days a week but it's very hard having 2 children and working full time! But when I do I eat my calories back (usually only burn around 200 anyway)

I'm 5'4, trying to lost 20lbs also. I did eat 1200 a day and lost a few lbs with exercise but then I hit plateau so I started caloric cycling. I started losing lbs and inches after that with exercise. So far, it's been working for me. my weekly including weekend intake varies from 1205-1705.
  • rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and eating 1400 a day. I tried eating 1200 a few times before without exercise but I just ran out of steam and gained it back afterwards because I'd be quite hungry and feel deprived. But now I'm doing 1400 a day and exercising 3 or 4 times a week and I can pretty much eat everything I want and on days that I exercise my net calories still comes to about 1200. So I feel like this is much more sustainable in the long term. (:
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    5`4 wanting to lose about 15 more lbs. I've lost 7 lbs this year and have plateaued since Sept. I eat between 1500 and 1800 plus burn on average of 500 calories a day doing p90x and Insanity. I net between 1050 and 1400 a day.
    Will be trying to get myself down to 1300 so I can net between 800 and 1000 calories a day to see if that will make the scale move.
  • adlwilmot
    Options

I work full-time and have two toddlers as well and have, until now, used that as excuse not to exercise. I'm making the time (even when I so don't want to) even if its only 10-20 minutes each day. You deserve it ;-)

So true.. I would really like to start doing Zumba. But if I can't find the time to do that maybe I can at least get on my treadmill for a bit a day. .. if I can clean it off from being a coat rack ;) lol

Do you have a Wii or Playstation? If so, get Zumba for one of them, then the kids can be entertained laughing they're little backsides off at mummy leaping around the front lounge! Voila! Kids entertained and you exercised all in one go! x
  • jgarrett626
    Options
    I aim to hit 1200 calories a day but if I miss and actually eat approximately 1400 calories, I'm ok with it and don't beat myself up. Also, as long as my average weekly results are within 1200-1400 calories, then I'm good. So far I've lost 10 lbs since I started on 9/17/2011. I'm 5'4" and was looking to lose about 10 lbs. Now that I am at my ideal weight, I am doing this for long-term maintenance.