Should I eat yougurt???

Options

Replies

• applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Can I just add that 1/2 cup of Greek plain yogurt has about 19grams of sugar and yummy yoplait has like 14grams?

In any case, what nutrition/item are you trying to get out of yogurt?

i don't know what brand of greek yogurt you're getting that sugar content from, but the brand i use, zoi, has 11 carbs total for a 1 cup serving with 10g protein. the fat free version has 11 sugars and 15 grams of protein/cup. i can't imagine and greek yogurt without either fruit, honey, or added sugar flavoring having that many sugars per serving. yikes!

I agree I use Oikos (dannon) plain greek and for one cup it's only 9gm of carb (sugar 9) and 22 protein. Yogurt has been touted to be good for digestive health as well.
  • somuchsolittle
    Options
    Usually when people suggest others eat yogurt, they usually mean something like *plain* greek yogurt, excluding all the stuff with honey or berries or whatever else. It has the lowest amount of sugar and the most protein. If you need something sweet, you can add your own fruit or the like. It's still sugar, but at least you're getting the added benefit of the fruit as well, and it's likely you won't eat as much as the yogurt on its own is pretty filling.
  • SweetChilly
    SweetChilly Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    mix plain Chobani with your favorite flavor of 10 cal Jello-O! about 60 calories and yum yum!!

I don't eat plain yogurt cuz I find it too bitter but I've never thought of mixing plain yogurt with Jello!!!! What an excellent idea!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    So is it even necessary?

No. No individual food item is necessary.
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I like the lower fat Greek yougurt, with blueberries or raspberries thrown in :)
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    So is it even necessary?

No. No individual food item is necessary.

^^This. Eat yogurt if you like yogurt, that's pretty much it! It's true it's a convenient source of protein but there are others out there!
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I like 0% fat greek yogurt,I mix in Smuckers fat free jam.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Fage 0% fat yogurt with defrosted frozen fruit and half a pack of natrataste - YUMMY!!!:smile:
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I eat yogurt because I love it, but I won't eat the sugary cups of Light yogurt with added ariticial sweeteners, etc. I eat only greek yogurt, 0% plain (sometimes I'll get a higher fat %) and I'll add my own stuff to it like almonds, berries, flax, etc. I see people eat like the yoplait light strawberry banana and i just think it's garbage. I used to eat stuff like that, not anymore.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I like 0% fat greek yogurt,I mix in Smuckers fat free jam.
    Jam has fat??? :huh:
    And to the pp who mixes sugar free jello... I prefer to stay chemical free lately (ie: the sugar free stuff is usually loaded with aspartame or some other fake sweetener), so I mix 1 tsp of local honey or 1 tsp of fruit preserves (Kirkland organic strawberry spread of awesome) into 1/2 cup Fage 0% plain yogurt.. Yummm! I also buy Chobani 0% fruit on the bottom and they're great and really fill you up. i Won't touch the Danon Light 'n Fit stuff anymore, but my DH loves it so I get it for him. And the Greek is a little too tangy and thick for my kids, but that's just as well because I know mine will be safe from their paws. :bigsmile:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I switched form normal yoghurts to Total 0%, which doesn't have any added sugar. I add cinnamon and a spoonful of damson jam to 100ml of yoghurt.
  • debstaines
    Options
    don't be afraid of a little sugar, but be smart about the yogurt you choose. Go for the non-fat greek yogurt, flavored or plain. At about 140 calories and 12+ gms of protein it is the best snack of your day. The calories can be a little higher than regular nf yogurt, but the protein is up to triple. Good for your metabolism and your body. I have 1 a day for my afternoon snack. Chobani and Dannon/OIkos are the best tasting flavored.

ps..this is my 'before' picture.. down almost 39 and won't post my after til I hit my goal, this picture is my motivation :-)
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Im obsessed with Fage 0% Greek Yogurt. I use it instead of cream and sour cream in everything I eat/ make. Its amazing. I also eat it plain before a work out, great healthy source of protien!
    Me too! I love mine with apple chopped into it. It makes a great post workout brekkie.
  • sarahvive
    Options
    Read the ingredients. If it is full of unpronounceable additives and artificial crap, don't force yourself to eat it.

If you like it, eat it. If you don't, find something else healthy that you enjoy.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Remember that the "sugar" includes the lactose that normally occurs in the milk. Lactose is a complex sugar, which weighs twice as much in grams as things like glucose or fructose that are sweeter.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Find one low in sugar. Some are much higher than others. I first started eating the low calorie/low sugar ones (some yogurts are DOUBLE the fricken calories because of sugar and they taste like pure sugar) but then i started making my own yogurt and now that's all I eat. :)
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Also remember...that unless you are specifically diabetic, there isn't any great reason to even worry about sugar intake. I go way over all the time and have lost 27lbs while completely not paying attention to sugar. It won't make you fat unless you eat over your calorie goal for the day.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Plain Greek yogurt with sugar free/fat free jello pudding powder is amazing. Cheesecake is my favorite! Low sugar and tons of protein! Or sometimes I do torani sugar free syrup instead of the SF pudding powder.
  • Marquettedominos
    Marquettedominos Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    yes you should eat yogurt. It has alot of good stuffs in it. But IMO I would only eat No fat Greek yogurt...
  • bexominglex
    bexominglex Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I eat yogurt and kefir for the probiotics and believe it is healthy but not all yogurts are made alike. Eat plain and unsweetened. I definitely would avoid any yogurt with added sugar. I think most people eat yogurt and take probiotics to help with candida overgrowth in the intestines, and sugar feeds candida. Some foods with natural sugars I will eat, after studying this topic for over a year. For instance, certain berries are naturally antifungal and high fiber (such as raspberries) so the sugar content in them I figure is negligble as long as I eat on an empty stomach (the brain also needs glucose to function- I just don't want foods breaking down into my intestine as sugars and sitting there). A colon cleanse is also good, as well as a liver cleanse. If you don't want to eat yogurt, you can buy probiotic capsules at the health food store, but you have to change your overall diet and lifestyle to notice benefits. Simply adding probiotics in any form without overhauling your diet (if you are like most North Americans) is likely a waste of money.