Whole Egg vs. Egg White

Options

Replies

• Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    most cholesterol and fat lies in the egg yolk. most will say dont eat but one once in a while wont hurt cha! happy eating!!
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    From a farmer's daughter:

1. Fertilized eggs, for some reason, have less cholesterol than unfertilized eggs. Get your eggs from a farm that has roosters. Males are a good thing!

2. Eggs from chickens in a factory farm are more unhealthy than those from chickens free-ranged. This is because factory chickens are fed feed that is fattening and they sit around all day, thus their eggs are fatty. Range chickens eat what chickens are supposed to eat. The chickens are leaner and so are their eggs. So buy your eggs from local farmers who free-range them.

3. The reason why pork is now considered a 'white' meat is not because pork is leaner. It is because chicken is more fatty. Chicken used to be about 7% fat. It is now about 15-18% fat, or more in some places. If you want lean chicken, stay away from chicken raised in factory farms.

If I sound like a PETA nut, I am. I am also very concerned about our meat supply. Having been raised on a farm where animals were free-ranged, I know how happy they are to eat what is natural to them. All this factory farm meat is bad for the animals and for people. It is loaded with fat. Yes, we people would like our meat to taste good, but food is only fuel. It is momentary on the taste buds. I can derive greater pleasure from my food knowing that it is healthy for me. I can add spices and cook the meat in manners that make it taste sensational.

As for eating eggs: I have low cholesterol almost to what my physician calls the 'danger zone'. I eat eggs very infrequently. I don't think the two go hand in hand, though. I think it depends on your genetic make-up and how much you are working out. If you are sedentary, don't eat so many because they will end up being plaque in your arteries.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    All of the fat and cholesterol of the egg is in the yolk. All of the vitamins and minerals of the egg are in the yolk. about 40% of the egg's total protein is in the yolk.

The white is pretty much just pure protein.

I have perfect cholesterol levels and eat eggs almost every day. The cholesterol I eat does not cause my cholesterol levels to go up. It is my understanding that SOME people may have issues with dietary cholesterol impacting their blood cholesterol and if you are one of those people and your doctor has instructed you to avoid certain foods, then you should follow the advice of your doctor. There is no reason for ALL of us to avoid eggs because SOME people have a problem.

For your friend to say that the yolk is bad for you is incorrect.

Now, as much as I love eggs and I do eat them regularly, there are times when I opt to eat just the whites and trash the yolks. On days when I'm running low on calories and have already consumed enough fat for the day but need more protein, I'll have a few extra whites for that extra boost of protein without getting the extra fat. Mostly though, I just eat two whole eggs for breakfast and the fat and protein in them keep me full for a long time and I get all the health benefits of the entire egg.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Okay, seriously it depends on your fat intake. I have to eat lots of them, because I have trouble making my daily fat intake of 65g (.35 of body weight in fats is a healthy value). I automatically reach for eggs, hard-boiled, scrambled, randomly added to anything so I can get those extra fat calories. If you are getting way too much fat every day, don't eat them, or in moderation. I-however reach for the egg and yolk probably 6-10 times an average day.
  • uboom
    uboom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Try using Omega 3 enriched eggs. It will help your Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio..... Most Americans ratio is jacked up with all the Omega 6 out there. That is why fish oil is such a great supplement.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg... I only make two-egg omelettes loaded with veggies so it's not a problem. I never use more then two eggs and I have them once a week. I probably don't have enough eggs! :P

Personally I would never choose to just eat the whites, as well as the waste I think you lose the flavour also. That and the yolk is the nutritious part. :)
  • Natalie49
    Natalie49 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg... the yolk is very nutritious and the egg white is full of protein! It's awesome
  • ashleigh2311
    ashleigh2311 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You'll get a thousand different opinions on it, best thing you can do is to do your research & make your own decision on what you think is best for you.

couldnt have put it better myself.

personally i only eat the egg white, but i'm not saying the yolk is the bad bit, i know it has all the good stuff in. I think each persons opinion on the worth of eating it will be different.
  • MarieAnneN
    Options
    Whole egg. Most of the Vitamins and minerals are in the yolk.

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html

I agree! and so yummy!
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but anyone who thinks that whole eggs are unhealthy for you really doesn't understand what they are talking about.

Unless you have a problem with cholesterol and your doctor advises you against them for that purpose, then they are great for you.

This! Eat the whole thing... it comes together for a reason... that's like eating only cereal in a bowl of cereal and milk... the milk is just as good as the cereal! The yolk is just as good as the whites!
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I eat both... :bigsmile:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I only eat egg whites because I don't like the yolks. If I liked them, I'd eat them. Lots of good stuff in the yolk.
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I live with an inherited high cholesterol issue so I mix the liquid egg beater stuff with a whole egg. I only make a 2 egg equivalent omelet. If you just use the liquid egg beater stuff, the omelet falls apart when you try to flip it to fold. If you're just scrambling them, they do not cook properly with only the egg beater liquid. BTW, today is my western omelet day :)
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I did the research on this for myself a couple months back, and the thing that tipped the scales (along with learning just how many nutrients there are in the yolk) was when I learned that the protein in the egg white needs parts of the yolk in order to be bio-available for complete digestion of the protein. If you throw away the yolk, you are throwing away the best part.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I eat 4 whites to one yoke - yokes are too fattening.
    That's reality.
    Some will argue until their face is blue about the virtues of yokes, but at day's end, they're still too fattening.
    End of story.
  • jecka31
    jecka31 Posts: 284
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the feedback! I think that I'm going to switch back to the mixing of the two on days I eat them. I do have borderline high cholesterol that runs in the family but my doc has never told me to stay away from whole eggs. I am also anemic so I eat a lot of red meat to help reach my iron intake so I get fat from other sources throughout the day.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    That's reality.
    Some will argue until their face is blue about the virtues of yokes, but at day's end, they're still too fattening.
    End of story.
    BINGO! My thoughts exactly.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    That's reality.
    End of story.

59 calories in an egg yolk. 3 grams of protein and 5 grams of fat. I think people can decide for themselves if this is "too fattening"or if the feeling of fullness that the yolks provide is worth the calories. You can absolutely lose weight while eating the yolks as long as you are staying within your calories.
    That's reality. End of story.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    59 calories in an egg yolk. 3 grams of protein and 5 grams of fat.

Here we go again....lol
    To get 20 grams of protein, that's 300 calories - absurd for an obese person trying to lose weight.
    Once goal weight is reached, then have this argument, but not when we're all too fat.

Again, save the yokes for when you have reached your goals.1 whole egg to 4 whites does the trick much better, and we all know that. It's just a no brainer for those willing to use their brain.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Do your preference. I LUV yolks, but I have inherited high cholesterol so I try to keep it down. People will tell me it doesn't matter, but my subconsciousness tells me not to over do it. So I meet somewhere in the middle. I'll have a whole egg with 2-3 egg-whites, and make them over easy so I can enjoy my runny, delicious yolk. Despite all my exercise, I'm just predisposed to have high cholesterol. I also have ridiculously high GOOD cholesterol and I've been told that somehow makes the bad not so bad.