How do you say NO to the food at parties?

Options
13»

Replies

• Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    No thank you - English
    不,謝謝 - Chinese
    No, gracias - Spanish
    Non merci - French
    Īe wa anata ni kansha shinai - Japanese
    Óchi, ef̱charistó̱ - Greek
    Gratias tibi non - Latin

.... Which one do you need help with? :)
  • sumnerfan
    sumnerfan Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    "I also I plan on "island eating" basically each food item on your plate stands alone, they dont touch each other just like islands dont touch each other, this well cut down on the portions you take,"

That's funny. I've never heard it called that before. I never let my food touch; if it touches I can't eat it. :blushing:
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I just load up my plate with veggies and tiny portion of a couple of things I just have to have.

Also, I was always the one that brought a dessert or high calorie side item. Now, I want to be the one that brings something healthier and lighter. It is a challenge for me, but I have kinda enjoyed the effort I have to find something that is better for you, but also has the wow factor.
  • SewerUrchin
    Options
    My psyche comes into play and starts lecturing me. Usually along the lines of....

"No."
    "What?"
    "You are not having another cheese-loaded cracker."
    "But it's Christmas!"
    "Oh, I'm sorry, must've missed the scientific study that confirmed that anything eaten over Christmas is void of calories."
    "But I'll be really good in the new year!"
    "OK, you know that feeling when you get on the scale and you weigh a bit less than you did before?"
    "Yes."
    "And that feeling when people ask if you've lost weight?"
    "Yeah."
    "And that feeling when you need to get a new pair of jeans because yours are too baggy now?"
    "....yeah."
    "Now, how about that feeling where you get on the scales and you've gained weight? How does that make you feel?"
    "...... not very good."
    "Exactly. Doesn't the feeling of losing weight feel so much nicer?"
    "Yeah."
    "Plus, know who else likes cheese and crackers? Your Auntie Julie. Your 350lb Auntie Julie. She's right over there, eating trifle straight out of the bowl. Is that what you want to look like next Christmas?"
    "No."
    "Well then. Save your calories for gin and tonic. You'll need it to mingle with the boring family from up the road that your Mum inexplicably invited."
    "Good point."
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    All things in moderation. I try to enjoy myself and simply eat less than I would've last year. I anticipate my weaknesses and 'budget' myself. For example, for Thanksgiving my weakness is the rolls. Last year I ate an entire pan by myself... (a whole family serving), this year I had two rolls. Two. I felt so good after stopping after two that who cares what else I did. My stomach is so much smaller anyway, I can't eat like I used to.

Once in a while isn't every day. Enjoy yourself and never let someone else determine whether or not you eat something. I have food allergies, so this isn't a new skill for me. I just say, "Oh those look wonderful/thank you so much, but no thank you." Or I lie and say I'm too full and will try one later... not.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.
    Don't give up what you really want for what you think you want right now.
  • ddb2222
    ddb2222 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just try to log everything I eat - good and bad. So what's helped me at parties is just knowing that I have to come home and log it. Just knowing that I have to log it makes me accountable for my choices and helps me refrain from certain things just because I don't want it in my diary.
  • LJGmom
    LJGmom Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.
    Don't give up what you really want for what you think you want right now.

Good one. It's not just one day of Christmas for me, it's for about 3 days....
  • yummummum
    Options
    You asked about the inner dialogue in my head.
    I focus on my KILLER new bod in my AWESOME new clothes and think.... remember??? Not that long ago I would eat that and feel like CRAP and I was bigger!!! (much) Do I want to feel bad? Do I want to back slide? Is it worth it?

For me I am just NOT good at the moderation thing. I am like a sugar/carb addict. I know myself and I know if I say yes it will mean I pig out. SO I say NO, thanks! I focus on talking to people and feeling amazing.
  • JessRanden
    Options
    Option 1: It takes an extra 3500 calories to put on an extra pound, so go nuts. Having one calorie bomb night every once in a while isn't going to sabatage you. The trick here is the ONCE in a while part. While holiday parties only come around once a year and its next to impossible to calculate whats in all those hommade treat, but eating like crazy at your 15 parties over the next two weeks WILL sabatoge you. So, if it is a RARE occasion then plan for it, be good until then, enjoy it like crazy, and once its over jump right back on the horse.

Option 2: Look around and pick out the things that are actually WORTH the calories. You may have a sweet tooth, but is that dried out chocolate cake REALLY going to be woth the calories??? No. Make an exception and really enjoy the things that are worth the extra calories and say no to the rest.

Option 3: Don't even take the first bite. This stuff is impossible to track calories and if you never take that gateway bite of crap, you wont find yourself accidentally burried under a mountian of candy/cookie/buffalo dip/gravy "wrappers" without even knowing how it happened. This is how I survive the ridiclous amounts of treats at my work, or all the deep fried munchies at my other work. Without a first bite, there is no binge :)

Good Luck Everyone!
  • yummummum
    Options
    My psyche comes into play and starts lecturing me. Usually along the lines of....

"No."
    "What?"
    "You are not having another cheese-loaded cracker."
    "But it's Christmas!"
    "Oh, I'm sorry, must've missed the scientific study that confirmed that anything eaten over Christmas is void of calories."
    "But I'll be really good in the new year!"
    "OK, you know that feeling when you get on the scale and you weigh a bit less than you did before?"
    "Yes."
    "And that feeling when people ask if you've lost weight?"
    "Yeah."
    "And that feeling when you need to get a new pair of jeans because yours are too baggy now?"
    "....yeah."
    "Now, how about that feeling where you get on the scales and you've gained weight? How does that make you feel?"
    "...... not very good."
    "Exactly. Doesn't the feeling of losing weight feel so much nicer?"
    "Yeah."
    "Plus, know who else likes cheese and crackers? Your Auntie Julie. Your 350lb Auntie Julie. She's right over there, eating trifle straight out of the bowl. Is that what you want to look like next Christmas?"
    "No."
    "Well then. Save your calories for gin and tonic. You'll need it to mingle with the boring family from up the road that your Mum inexplicably invited."
    "Good point."

HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How did you get in my head :-)
  • Pkiddy
    Pkiddy Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I read all the comments and i agree with them all! Some great advice here. Bring something you know is low-cal, keep your hands busy, spend more time talking or playing games with people than grazing (yes, grazing as does a cow) the buffet, pick stuff you know you just have to have and watch the portion control, do island eating (never heard of that but i'm going to for sure do it), and learn to say "no" to both Food Pushers and That Inner Voice saying "one more won't hurt", plus... since you probably already know what kinds of foods will be there look them up pre-party to get the caloric/nutritional values in advance - that helps me - as said in one of the Indian Jones movies - "choose wisely". even if you do go over your "daily" calories, at least you will wake up in the am knowing what you did was right for you - no guilty feelings! Enjoy. And Merry Christmas to you. :)
  • ImNotThatBob
    ImNotThatBob Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    When the food starts talking to me I know it's time to rethink how many drinks I'm having.
  • runiechica
    runiechica Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I really try to focus on my goals. So when the temptation is there I remind myself of all the reasons I am working on being healthier. Helps me build my resistance and will power. :)
  • corinnak
    corinnak Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    1. Put it on a plate - eating things by hand makes it much tougher to stay accountable. Nuts, M&M's, caramel popcorn add up WAY too fast by the handful.
    2. If it's not "worth it" don't eat it. Have some of the things you truly LOVE, and if you take that first bite and it's not all it's cracked up to be, there is no need to finish it. Enjoy only the things that ARE that good.
    3. Put some "real" food on the plate - vegetables, fruit, a little cheese, nuts, so you have a full plate, but it's got some grounding fuel on it, rather than just recreational stuff.
    4. Don't eat until you'll burst - that is not a fun condition! If you're not hungry, or if you're feeling comfortably full, it is an excellent idea to stop eating.
    5. Whatever happens, track it or not, but definitely move on - just get right back to normal food, normal tracking the next day.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I am the opposite. I have great control at the parties or dinners or when out with others. It's those midnight snacks that do me in. :(
  • Ameaks
    Ameaks Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Bump. Great suggestions. Going to reread some of these before my next party. Love tips like: island eating on a plate not by the handful, lots of water, eating lots but low cal alternatives prior to party so you have some wiggle room, one bite and dont finish unless unbelievably good.